Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Hot Starting issue driving Volvo Mech insane SOLVED
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hot Starting issue driving Volvo Mech insane Reply with quote

Hotdoggin wrote:

I've had relatively good luck with the Bosch stuff, I'll bench test it before putting it in.

did you test the one in place?

BiWerks Design, LLC
Hotdoggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hot Starting issue driving Volvo Mech insane Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
Hotdoggin wrote:

I've had relatively good luck with the Bosch stuff, I'll bench test it before putting it in.

did you test the one in place?

Negative, but when I pull it, I'll do a side by side. If it's fine, it becomes a spare, and the new one goes in. I'm also going to replace the connector. I've got tons of them, and this one is quite brittle.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hot Starting issue driving Volvo Mech insane Reply with quote

Hotdoggin wrote:

Negative, but when I pull it, I'll do a side by side. If it's fine, it becomes a spare, and the new one goes in. I'm also going to replace the connector. I've got tons of them, and this one is quite brittle.

what is the plan when a parts swap does not resolve the issue? jumping to a conclusion that part x is faulty without testing is not the path with a Vanagon.

just sayin it could be an expensive exercise throwing parts at it.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Hotdoggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hot Starting issue driving Volvo Mech insane Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
Hotdoggin wrote:

what is the plan when a parts swap does not resolve the issue? jumping to a conclusion that part x is faulty without testing is not the path with a Vanagon.

just sayin it could be an expensive exercise throwing parts at it.

Then I continue down the path of diagnosing it. This is an inexpensive (which I didn't previously know existed, and can't find what I originally thought was the part,) option, with the worst case scenario being it now has a component that doesn't have nearly 40 years of heat cycles on it, with a hyper brittle connector and soft, gummy plastic body. I understand your concern about the swapping parts before proper diagnosis, but if I have them side by side on the bench, and they both check out - It's a zero sum. Now I just have a new, working part in the vehicle, and a spare for a rainy day. Considerably easier to bench test it, too, rather than employing my triple jointed arms, and my third leg to do it the testing procedure in van. Laughing If it were a more difficult job, I'd be on your side, but after working on new Volvos, there isn't much here to scare me.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hot Starting issue driving Volvo Mech insane Reply with quote

Hotdoggin wrote:

but after working on new Volvos, there isn't much here to scare me.

Popcorn

foreshadowing at it's best.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hot Starting issue driving Volvo Mech insane Reply with quote

I share the reluctance to throw parts at a problem but in this case... I always have a spare, new, tested Temp II sensor on board. So as the OP notes, nothing to lose by trying.
Hotdoggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hot Starting issue driving Volvo Mech insane Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
Hotdoggin wrote:

Popcorn

Lol, they're pretty simple creatures. Nuts and bolts. I'm done with it after this, this was the last issue to tackle.
Hotdoggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hot Starting issue driving Volvo Mech insane Reply with quote

Hotdoggin wrote:
dabaron wrote:
Hotdoggin wrote:

Popcorn

Lol, they're pretty simple creatures. Nuts and bolts. I'm done with it after this, this was the last issue to tackle.

I'm done with this one***

I'm actually looking at a no-runner that's been sitting for several years...
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hot Starting issue driving Volvo Mech insane Reply with quote

Hotdoggin wrote:
Hotdoggin wrote:
dabaron wrote:
Hotdoggin wrote:

Popcorn

Let us know if the Sensor was the issue. In the Future, with similar Bosch Systems, I find that buying a Decade Box with its built-in resistors[ there are different style versions, you want the Resistor Version], is invaluable as a quick plug in resistor of the value of my choosing since you only need to flick a switch on the box to get a single, or several resistors to create a test value that you need for a given circuit.
I bought one years ago for Fuel Gauge testing on Clusters, but it's handy anytime you need to plug in a test value on a circuit that's just looking for a low amperage, resistance value[ Most of the Decade Boxes are only rated for a 1/2 Watt on any of their resistors, so no powering up large loads with them...]
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Hotdoggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hot Starting issue driving Volvo Mech insane Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Hotdoggin wrote:
Hotdoggin wrote:
dabaron wrote:
Hotdoggin wrote:

Popcorn

Let us know if the Sensor was the issue. In the Future, with similar Bosch Systems, I find that buying a Decade Box with its built-in resistors[ there are different style versions, you want the Resistor Version], is invaluable as a quick plug in resistor of the value of my choosing since you only need to flick a switch on the box to get a single, or several resistors to create a test value that you need for a given circuit.
I bought one years ago for Fuel Gauge testing on Clusters, but it's handy anytime you need to plug in a test value on a circuit that's just looking for a low amperage, resistance value[ Most of the Decade Boxes are only rated for a 1/2 Watt on any of their resistors, so no powering up large loads with them...]

I absolutely will update soon as it gets here, The decade box is an incredible tool, and I'm certain my co-worker has one next door to try. I'll report back once I get back on this and do that test.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hot Starting issue driving Volvo Mech insane Reply with quote

Hotdoggin wrote:

Dude.... Welcome to my world..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699642&highlight=

Fight it. It will sit there looking at you saying "pamper me" "love me" "drive me"

Then keep digging deeper in your pocket, and find less than two bits

-bobby
Hotdoggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Hot Starting issue driving Volvo Mech insane Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Lucky guess. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hot start issue fixed, Temp II sensor was the cause. A 19mm-3/4 Crowsfoot is the right tool for the job, total time elapsed - 3 minutes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: