Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New engine case shortage?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: new engine case shortage? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
jpaull wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:
Brian_e wrote:
Has anyone ever done an A/B comparison with a mag case Vs. aluminum to prove they do run hotter? There are so many factors that could effect the numbers it would be a very difficult test. Even a few pounds different oil pressure could change the temperatures.

Just building one engine in a mag case, and then building a similar engine with an aluminum case really means nothing.

I think they would cool about the same, but the aluminum case will take longer to heat up, and also take longer to cool down because of the extra mass. Peak temps would be about the same.

Brian

I moved everything for my land speed engine from an AS41 to a CB case with raised decks. I saw a 5*C increase in oil temperature. Heads stayed the same.

I did nothing on the case hat needed to be done except smooth. machined edges that would have to be done on a mag case as well. The case is 10 years old now, has been beat on like a rented mule and shows absolutely no signs of wear at all.

Awsome first hand experience right there! 5 degrees is well worth the extra durability of a more solid foundation.

5C isn't very much, but I just want to point out that is C for Celsius. for example 100C is 212F and 105C is 221F. 9 degree change for us below our northern border.

in a buggy with open air flow? I haven't seen the setup but if that's the case imagine a type 3 compartment...

it is nice to have some real world compare
63beryl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

My new case arrived today. This is my first aluminum case, so I'm excited to get building.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Chuck67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

So what is a brand new in the box mag case worth now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

Stock or Super Case?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuck67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Stock or Super Case?

NEW untouched magnesium case not aluminum
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

Chuck67 wrote:

Already answered.
jpaull wrote:

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuck67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Chuck67 wrote:

Already answered.
jpaull wrote:

Saw that when it was posted. Looked him up on Facebook could not find him. Ad is from Australia. They gotta be more than that now. Very Happy
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

Chuck67 wrote:

Saw that when it was posted. Looked him up on Facebook could not find him. Ad is from Australia. They gotta be more than that now. Very Happy

I messaged Stephen James Natoli and asked if he received any emails, and he said no, so if anyone has chosen to email instead of facebook messenger make sure to check his email in your sent to make sure it matches. $1,100 is shipped. The shipping from Australia to USA is very affordable, thats why he can do that. He had 50 cases in stock, so the value of $1,100 shipped seems pretty fair.

Stephen has always messaged me right back, i have spoke to him many times and he is easy to deal with and quick to answer questions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrSpeedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

I'm feeling this "shortage". I ordered my 1776 engine from SCAT back in April 2021 of last year. Called a bunch of times, and they were waiting on cases every time, that was in September. I haven't received any further info from my last call since late November. Kinda wish I knew about this "shortage" BEFORE I ordered the engine. I can wait though, at least my current 1600 still runs good. I hope it doesn't drag out until the middle to end of summer though.... Sad
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

for those who only build disposable low power short lived engines the mag case seems to be their preference. it's no wonder why the supply is drying up they keep supplying the swap meets with new looking afu fodder, very low miles at that.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
for those who only build disposable low power short lived engines the mag case seems to be their preference. it's no wonder why the supply is drying up they keep supplying the swap meets with new looking afu fodder, very low miles at that.

Pretty harsh!

( I don't want to face the reality that you are probably right, and I won't)
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
............................................................................................................oh mark lol you have a way of pissing people off lol .what a rip off charging $1,100.00 for a mag case when you can buy a alum. case for the same money. auto linea is making the cases now . so theres going to be a lot of cases to buy later this year . charging $1,100.00 mag cases is a rip off . when be for all the shit hit the fan in the USA you could buy a mag case for $750.00 . oh well when you buy a new case bend over and get your reward lol lol spencerfvee
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

Geez....and here I passed on a NOS case at an auction recently when it got over $250... d'oh!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

I paid around $100 for a nos mag case to build my used part spare 2028cc motor that was in my bug when I sold it with around 80000 hard fun miles on it,with another 80000 left in it if nobody fuckes it up..the price made it hard to pass up I paid $410 I think for my new aluminum bubble top case for my 2332. then new case for my 2393 was around $750. it's funny aluminum hasent gone up like gold has....and yet... it has.
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

$1100 seems like a reasonable price. The last new case I bought was $400 in probably 1998. Machine work on a used case ran me about $350 for a line bore/ thrust cut, no decking, no welding for side mount full flow, and the shop said that the price would be more next time.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

i just bought me a new auto linea bubble top case from a guy who was building a drag race motor then lost his job for under a $1,000.00.. .for my next build spencerfvee
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

FWIW, I have run an AS41 case with stock heads , then an AS21 case with stock heads , then a stock style aluminium case with EMPI stock style 040 heads (but these had cleaner castings and better looking ports than any of the VW heads before ..)

All with the same carburettor, exhaust, oil cooler setup, tinware, gearbox in my bus.

The two magnesium engines ran a little hotter than this latest aluminium cased engine.
From my viewpoint, the only difference was trimming the tinware for an engine block that had more rounded fillets cast into corners than the magnesium cases.

So much so that I began to wonder whether having the external oil cooler was really necessary on a 1641.. It was for the first two engines.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

It appears as if they're coming back http://blog.bbt4vw.com/
63beryl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
It appears as if they're coming back http://blog.bbt4vw.com/

That's great news. I'm glad that buying a new mag case will continue as an option.
MrSpeedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine case shortage? Reply with quote

Hi.....Since it seems as a new mag case is becoming quite scarce, what's the difference between that and a new aluminum case instead? The more I read the more I'm starting to think of cancelling my order with Scat for my 1776, since they just have no real desire to have contact with the customers that are waiting. I bought it through Summit and the new update is July 2,2022, and that's not a confirmed positive it'll ship or Ill have it by that date. I see other people building and selling engines and they are using an aluminum AS41 case instead of magnesium. What's the pro's and cons of the two cases? I'm not sure if I should just wait till July 2 and see what happens or just cancel my order and get my money back and go elsewhere. Any opinions on how others would handle this? I ordered the 1776 back in April of 2021.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: