Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

I am doing the front brakes of my 88 Westfalia.

The plan was to remove the calipers and POR15 them with the caliper kit. put new rotors, bearings and seals and replace the brake hose.

Of course, being a Vanagon this thing is all kind of rusted and seized nuts and bolts.

Caliper came off easy. The bracket bolts had to be heated with my new toy the induction bolt heater. then they came off.

The hose came off easily on the caliper side but refused to turn and the nut of the hard brake line obviously stripped even though I used the correct line wrenches. I ended up cutting it off and putting a new nut on the end of the line doing a new bubble flare. This forced me to bend the line straight first then back to the correct shape.

The rotor was easy to remove. The bearings were actually good but I replaced them anyways.

The bleed screw on the caliper was already broken and refused to come out. nothing helped and I ended up drilling it but I made a mistake and drilled it too deep. I ended up getting a couple of used calipers and rebuilt those but I ask fixed that caliper with a bleed screw repair kit.

A job I was planing to do in a couple of days expecting issues turned into almost two weeks and I am only done with one side.

At least bleeding the air out of the caliper was easy. I just gravity bled it then the regular way pumping the pedal a couple of times.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

All that could go wrong did go wrong... It is frustrating sometimes. Nice pics.

What's on the caliper on this pic:
?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

?

Wrapped in tape is the bleeder screw.

To the OP ……. GOOD JOB! Thanks for the report and the photos!

I'm planning to do my heater box in two days…… I fear it will probably take a week!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I'm planning to do my heater box in two days…… I fear it will probably take a week!

Dave

Before Christmas? I sure hope you have a heated garage somewhere. It's gonna be cold. I've been doing some work which requires bare fingers and I only get ten minutes before 20 are needed inside to get them back to the point where I can feel and pick up a small nut and washer.

Good luck. I know you are an expert on droping the dash, so hope it all goes well.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Before Christmas? I sure hope you have a heated garage somewhere. It's gonna be cold. I've been doing some work which requires bare fingers and I only get ten minutes before 20 are needed inside to get them back to the point where I can feel and pick up a small nut and washer.

Good luck. I know you are an expert on droping the dash, so hope it all goes well.

Duncan

Far from an expert…… and it has been years……….

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

I just got my '87 Westy back from having the front brakes done. First job I've farmed out since we got the van in '06. I'd ordered new pads and rotors in prep, and the bride suggested having our guy do the work so I could concentrate on finishing up the guest room/guest bath remodel. I was not thrilled about surrendering the brake job but we got finished while the van was gone and everyone who matters is happy now.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

POR15: yes, that is something to do... but, from how I read the instructions, you also paint over that within so many hours with another paint of some sort. POR15 isn't meant to be left as the final outer coating.

But, it looks good, and I like the photos, as I will be doing this exact thing to a new-to-me '86 with a blown hard line at the front passenger caliper. My rust might be as bad or worse than yours!

-bobby
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
...POR15 isn't meant to be left as the final outer coating...

I think he said he is using the caliper kit:

https://por15.com/products/caliper-painting-kit

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

Ahh, there's a bit I missed. Nice kit.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
VicVan wrote:

?

I was talking about the product or chemical applied on the caliper itself. Seeing the content of the POR kit, it must be the metal prep (etching?) component.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
djkeev wrote:
VicVan wrote:

?

I was talking about the product or chemical applied on the caliper itself. Seeing the content of the POR kit, it must be the metal prep (etching?) component.
Yeah, I was wondering too if that's some type of Phosphate wash for the prep... Think
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

Great pictures!
Thanks, this is on my list to do this winter.

I attempted to do it last year but ran into the same challenge with my hard line nuts.

Thanks for posting the part numbers too. That'll help big time.

Just received my new (a rebuild not actually "new") tranny and wanted to put some sort of coating on it. I'll have to read up on the Por products.

Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
djkeev wrote:
VicVan wrote:

?

It's the rust preventative.

You clean your calipers and wash with the por15 cleaner. Then metal prep for 10-20 min and wash with water. Dry it all off and put the rust preventative. Then paint with the black paint.

I can tell you the rust preventative stuck to the caliper very well. I didn't think I need to cover the two big bolts holes and they were hard to clean.

The black paint is crap unfortunately. It peels off very easily even though I followed their instructions of letting the rust preventative dry then scuff it with some sand paper and paint over.

They suggested I let the rust preventative dry until it is tacky and then paint in the black which I will do on the other caliper I am working on now.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

Took apart the second side. The hose came off easy on the caliper side and of course it is starting to strip on the other side. I plan to save time and just cut it like I did on the driver side.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

campism wrote:
I just got my '87 Westy back from having the front brakes done. First job I've farmed out since we got the van in '06. I'd ordered new pads and rotors in prep, and the bride suggested having our guy do the work so I could concentrate on finishing up the guest room/guest bath remodel. I was not thrilled about surrendering the brake job but we got finished while the van was gone and everyone who matters is happy now.

Wow I couldn't sub out either of these tasks!

My Bride (of 46 years) would never even suggest I sub out either task!

She knows that The stress of trusting "professionals" of either trade would probably kill me.
And she has seen the handiwork of most so called professionals at friends and family.

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

She knows that The stress of trusting "professionals" of either trade would probably kill me.
And she has seen the handiwork of most so called professionals at friends and family.

I'm really tired of you bad mouthing professional mechanics, Dave. Aren't you the guy who had a caliper fall off his van because he forgot to tighten the bolts?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

Hold on pardner it's pretty clear he's badmouthing "quote-professionals" and "so-called professionals".

Not bona-fide professionals.

But back to the OP.
I'm gonna take some of Jake's tough-love stance on this.
No pity for nightmares.
I suspect if not for a rusty Vanagon you would be wandering the streets looking for a nut to induct....

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake rebuild and the usual nightmare Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
djkeev wrote:

I'm really tired of you bad mouthing professional mechanics, Dave. Aren't you the guy who had a caliper fall off his van because he forgot to tighten the bolts?

That was me, but you are missing the point.

A pro charges $150 to get it right, first time, which is fair. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of bad, paid repairs - the internet is full of that.

I took my oddball Volvo cylinder head to a respected machine shop and was told
"I dont do enough of these to be really good at it"

I respected that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: