Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tornadoes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Tornadoes Reply with quote

Sometimes you have a warning but what if you live out away from the sirens. I can sure sympathize with those most recently effected because I live in Tornado Alley.
May 20 2013 Moore Oklahoma 24 dead and many were children at a school. Unbelievable but true they had nowhere to shelter. Later the calls came to install shelters at the schools. Can you believe many people were opposed to that ?

May 22 2011 one dropped down on Joplin Missouri killing 161 and injuring 1150.
May 3 1999 Moore Oklahoma killing 36 people. Closer to home 1994 a twister touched down less than 10 miles from here and killed 10 right along I 44, those folks died in their cars or close by. One guy sacrificed himself giving live reports at a truck stop to warn others. That building was devastated and they never rebuilt.

The first 3 examples are 100 miles in either direction from me. I’ve seen them and I’ve seen up close what they can do. I’ve also had to ride out two in an underground shelter here at home.

I put this thing in the ground about 10 years ago and we don’t regret that. It might work and you really need to be underground for an F4 or F5.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’m guilty of storing all these VW parts here which could be projectiles. We’ve got NOAH Weather radio and cellphone alerts to warn us and I’ve confirmed the phones work inside the shelter in the event we were covered in debris.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

Recently found Knowledge from me in the world of tornado prediction. The time constant for organization of the vortex is on the order of seconds,not even tens of seconds. I can measure winds and shifts with laser Doppler that fast but that’s a real problem if I need to measure an entire organized system that quickly. A real problem as in I’m 5-15k off on throughput data rate
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

A couple friends of mine who used to be stationed in Oklahoma said they kept a rather stout floor jack and some dunnage in their shelter to help open the door if it became trapped by debris. Just a thought if you haven't already considered it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

We had 4 tornadoes on Long Island just a few weeks ago. I think the strongest was only a EF1 but still, never had 4 in a day and almost never have any in November.

The climate is going CRAZY.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

It’s things you don’t even think about. In 1999 I went over to Moore for the clean up and before we got close we drove through debris. So many flat tires, these and other mundane details become obstacles to rescue and cleanup operations. People crying dazed and confused, the lady we helped had only piles of bricks and scraps left. Trees left standing had all the bark stripped off.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
A couple friends of mine who used to be stationed in Oklahoma said they kept a rather stout floor jack and some dunnage in their shelter to help open the door if it became trapped by debris. Just a thought if you haven't already considered it.

Yes that is good. In addition to that the shelters are registered with the city so that the rescue crews would know where to look.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

would the cellphones still work after the tonado has been through? we've just had storm arwen which cut power to masts so people had no comms.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

And i was irritated picking up twigs after our windstorm…….

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

finster wrote:
would the cellphones still work after the tonado has been through? we've just had storm arwen which cut power to masts so people had no comms.

Usually yes. They have their own power and a tornado is so localized it would knock out an antenna or two but nut a whole network
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
mukluk wrote:

Yes that is good. In addition to that the shelters are registered with the city so that the rescue crews would know where to look.

Maybe convert the door to a slider vs a conventional opening up, with easily released bolts on the track on the inside
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

I'm praying for those poor souls affected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
mukluk wrote:

Maybe convert the door to a slider vs a conventional opening up, with easily released bolts on the track on the inside

I was thinking that an inward opening door would work and the low pressure of the tornado would act to keep it shut rather than sucking it open...

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

Sad to see the super storm damage. Sad for the loss of life and those that have no one that knows they are still trapped. Tornadoes are way worse then hurricanes due to unpredictablity of the path.
Where I live it is forest wild land fires.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Sad to see the super storm damage. Sad for the loss of life and those that have no one that knows they are still trapped. Tornadoes are way worse then hurricanes due to unpredictablity of the path.
Where I live it is forest wild land fires.

Hurricanes are badass. High winds and WATER for many hours. In my 70 years I have lived thru a few on this East Coast of Virginia. I dont want to at all minimalize the nature of tornadoes but we have days preparing sandbags, bording up and waiting. Your warning only comes seconds before and usually it is get to the shelter, FAST.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Main issue I can see with that is if heavy debris is sitting on the door, you're not going to be able to slide it. Imagine a car, tree trunk, or brick/block debris atop it; sheer friction against the door face would be sufficient to prevent movement.

finster wrote:
I was thinking that an inward opening door would work and the low pressure of the tornado would act to keep it shut rather than sucking it open...

Again here there'd be the problem of the latch getting jammed or bound sufficiently that it couldn't be operated if the door has heavy debris sitting on it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

Just donated $100 to the Western Kentucky Relief Fund, please consider doing that if you haven't done so already. These folks need it FAR more than Uncle Joe needs that Christmas gift (if you're poor like me and have to make choices.)

I live in I suppose what you would consider tornado alley (northwest arkansas) and originally from Little Rock, been very close to a few but never actually seen one or been in one directly. NW Ark is weird in that we hardly ever get hit but everyone around us does- Joplin is only about 80 miles up the road and they got devastated. Must be the hilly Ozark terrain...

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

sb001, can you please post the link or phone number of Western Kentucky Relief Fund?

sb001 wrote:
Just donated $100 to the Western Kentucky Relief Fund, please consider doing that if you haven't done so already. These folks need it FAR more than Uncle Joe needs that Christmas gift (if you're poor like me and have to make choices.)

I live in I suppose what you would consider tornado alley (northwest arkansas) and originally from Little Rock, been very close to a few but never actually seen one or been in one directly. NW Ark is weird in that we hardly ever get hit but everyone around us does- Joplin is only about 80 miles up the road and they got devastated. Must be the hilly Ozark terrain...

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
sb001, can you please post the link or phone number of Western Kentucky Relief Fund?

https://secure.kentucky.gov/formservices/Finance/WKYRelief

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

The only thing scarier than a Tornado, is a Tornado at night!
I grew up in the Mid-West, there is color change in the air, and the leaves on the trees curl backwards.
That means it's time to head for the basement.
When it's dark you can't see any of that!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tornadoes Reply with quote

amazing story
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-59764990

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: