Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Squareback from Russia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RUNKLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
The photo with the Mopar-type stripe Runkle said was of an Australian Type 3 from the internet. Runkle said that it indicated that the description said that the colour was Apple Green. If it WAS an Australian Type 3, then the colour would have been called Avocado Green!

No, I didn’t say the image was of an Australian type 3. I said I found it in a search for Australian type 3. That image is from the Samba. The Samba thread the image was in stated that it was an Australian colour called apple green, I provided a link for that thread. I don’t know Australian colours, so I put it out there to confirm or deny.

Type 3
1968 Squareback
splodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
splodge wrote:
viiking wrote:
Here’s a link to a photo of an Australian Avocado Green Type 1 if that helps.

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/enthusiasts/gazzy/garage/1972-volkswagen-beetle/

Wow! Thanks!
And is Avocado Green original colour for Type 3?

Avocado Green was the name given to all Australian VW in 1972. It may be either a different formula to the European made Type 3 or it could be the same colour with a different name in Australia.

For clarity....

You asked me about the Australian colours. The photo with the Mopar-type stripe Runkle said was of an Australian Type 3 from the internet. Runkle said that it indicated that the description said that the colour was Apple Green. If it WAS an Australian Type 3, then the colour would have been called Avocado Green!

If you want to paint it in a period correct for European models which were imported into the US then use the link mdege posted.

After all it is your car. Paint it in any colour you like. Very Happy

wow, now everything is clear! I didn't think that for different markets the colors were so different!

The choice of color is very important to me and I still cannot find a good color in the European classification of 71-73.
Before 70 there were cool colors, but they are not very good for the late model Crying or Very sad
But the Australian avocado green looks good! (Yes, it is not European, but it matches the year).
And you wrote correctly, the main thing is to like the color! Cool
splodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

A new part of bodywork on the rear.
Russian horror story

A few more pics to explain why we needed parts from California:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bodywork engineer video:

Link

Cutting everything on the left side:

and the right side:

turned the body over for easy work

I don't know what to call this part in English, in Russian we call it "skirt".
The skirt is at the same time rusty, wrinkled, improperly restored and of the wrong shape.

andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

very nice!!!
RUNKLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

WOW!!! You have some mad metal skills there my friend. That valance looks really good. Very Happy

Type 3
1968 Squareback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

Here in the states, we call that piece the rear apron. Most of them get damaged, and poorly repaired. I repaired one, and installed it on my 71 Notch. It had been crash damaged, and filled full of bondo. I knew it when I was doing the car, and ended up getting a piece from Russ while he was still alive. That one had been damaged as well, but had never been fixed before, so I just reversed the damage and went from there. Some times it's easier that way. Wink

Andy, you need to link your rear repair photos to him, as you went thru all of what he's doing on your 66 Square. It might give him some ideas on fixing his car.
Just so you know, the load floor rust is very common on the later cars, mainly due to the ECU hatch panel (left side)not getting installed correctly, causing water to sit on the floor. Also the rear hatch seal can be a source of water entry to the load floor. I've seen both personally, and the damage they do.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

It is a pleasure to view how masterfully you are cutting out the rust, making accurate patch panels from basic sheet metal using paper or cardboard as the shape templates, and installing them! Like here-

Your Squareback was built in late 1972, which makes it a 1973 model year. You can see this by the 3rd digit of your chassis number which is "3". Model years seem to be more important in the US market than in Western Europe, where the age of the car is often referred to as its "first registration" date.

Careful with that early style steering wheel... The 1973 VWs had the new style turn signal/wiper stalk steering column in which the stalks came rearward more than on the cars built thru the 1971 model year that had the early style steering wheel. On those early cars, the wiper switch was still on the dashboard. You'll probably find that the wiper stalk comes very close to the steering wheel rim, enough that it either touches it, or that theres not enough room to clear your fingers as they grip the rim.

The 165/65 tires you bought for your 5.5 inch wheels will cause a significant speedometer error. The smaller overall diameter will make the speedometer show that the car is going faster than in reality, possibly something like showing 100 km/h when the car is really only going 85. I recently bought some 185/70 tires for my '77 Beetle which also has 5.5 inch wheels in the back. The overall diameter is the same as the original 165/80 tires in front so that my speedometer is reasonably accurate. There seem to be only a few brands in that size; mine are Vredestein.
splodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

Bobnotch, Thanks for the advice!

Rome, Yes, we knew that will have problems with early steering wheel, thanks for telling us which ones! This will make it easier to prepare and try to solve them.

The problem with the speedometer and wheels is also on my Golf mk1, but this is not so important to me.
It is possible that later I will change the tires to the more classic 165/80.
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Here in the states, we call that piece the rear apron. Most of them get damaged, and poorly repaired. I repaired one, and installed it on my 71 Notch. It had been crash damaged, and filled full of bondo. I knew it when I was doing the car, and ended up getting a piece from Russ while he was still alive. That one had been damaged as well, but had never been fixed before, so I just reversed the damage and went from there. Some times it's easier that way. Wink

Andy, you need to link your rear repair photos to him, as you went thru all of what he's doing on your 66 Square. It might give him some ideas on fixing his car.
Just so you know, the load floor rust is very common on the later cars, mainly due to the ECU hatch panel (left side)not getting installed correctly, causing water to sit on the floor. Also the rear hatch seal can be a source of water entry to the load floor. I've seen both personally, and the damage they do.

@splodge here are the pictures, maybe they can help you in some way Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_id=663828522&start=300
RUNKLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Here in the states, we call that piece the rear apron.

He’s referring to the lower portion of the apron, the piece he replicated, it’s either called a skirt or a valance.

Type 3
1968 Squareback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

RUNKLE wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Here in the states, we call that piece the rear apron.

He’s referring to the lower portion of the apron, the piece he replicated, it’s either called a skirt or a valance.

Always heard that called an apron.. FWIW.

Top work being done here.
The resourcefulness and hard work of people in Russia is so very often impressive.
You guys are NOT afraid to get at it! Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
splodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_id=663828522&start=300

I think link is broken Embarassed
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

splodge wrote:
andybla wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

I think link is broken Embarassed

excuse me Embarassed

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=andybla
splodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

andybla, Thanks! I think it would help too!

New series of horror photos:

It is especially difficult to restore such delicate details

Hard level Lego Rolling Eyes
splodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

A few words about chemicals we use:

1. After the body part is cleaned of all layers of mastic, sealants, paint, primer and the surface is cleaned of visible corrosion, we are coating the metal with Permatex rust remover (on the photo it looks like yellow-white stains).
This is done in order to treat possible corrosion residues that may remain in the surface structure of the material.
After drying, we remove Permatex mechanically so that it does not create an extra layer.

2. If the metal is clean, it is covered with either an acidic primer (gives a green-yellow translucent coating) or a Permatex rust converter (remover and a converter are different materials).
If surface corrosion was big and the surface of the metal is porous (small without breaking the strength, because if the metal is very badly damaged, such area must be replaced). This coating looks purple immediately after covering, then turns black.
If left unpainted for a long time, it becomes covered with a brown surface film that needs to be cleaned with Scotch Brite (soft abrasive sponge).
In addition, it greatly interferes with welding, so only those places where it is really needed are covered with it.

3. When welding parts, the places that are welded overlap are covered with U-POL weld # 2 weldable priming, it is either silver or copper in color, depending on the filler in the soil - zinc or copper.
Copper-filled primer should seem to be less susceptible to fading during welding, although We did not notice a significant difference.

4. If the area is covered with acid primer, then it is covered with a two-component acrylic primer to isolate the acid primer. According to experience, in the case of complex and long work with the body, it is not possible to paint everything immediately with epoxy primer, so the metal surface may become covered with a surface coating of rust, which means it will have to be cleaned again (not as difficult as initially, but still takes a lot of time).
+ one more extremely important thing - the acidic primer is liquid and flows well into the gaps and joints, therefore, in places where the welding soil has burnt out after welding, it is possible to provide a coating that resists corrosion well (it is always around the welding point).
No epoxy will flow into the gap, and only what remains of the welding soil will be there.

5. After the acid primer is coated with acrylic, epoxy primer (gray) is applied.
We use DuPont P7 primer.

6. Epoxy primer is coated with two-component acrylic paint (We use inexpensive Russian paint in hidden cavities), or it is already painted with a topcoat in the selected body color.

An acidic primer is used with either EN 4800 Wash Primer or Body 960.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

This thing is going to be like new when you're done. Very nice craftsmanship. That whole rear area looks fantastic, very nice. Most Squareback owners will never see all of that on their own cars. Keep up the great work, you're gaining on it and getting closer to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on the metal work. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

Agree with other posters, there is some seriously good fab work going on here. Amazing skills and dedication on this car.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

Enjoying thw write ups along with the supporting photos. Your explanations are enlighting to me a non metal person.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
splodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words! Embarassed
Dan and I are very pleased to read them

Maybe someone know if there is a guide how to set early steering wheel to later model?

I also wanted to do a test painting to see the color.
Does anyone know the recipe for Avocado Green (Dulux: 13176)?
I contacted 2 colorists in Russia, but they could not find recipe in catalogue
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Squareback from Russia Reply with quote

Nice Work !!
Avocado Green 13176 is not a USA factory issue color, but was used in Australia for 1972.
Here in the States for 1972-'73 was Sumatra Green L61B
Information from this Australian website: look in VW REFERENCE under Paint Colours
https://www.clubvw.org.au/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: