Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got almost everything for my 2110
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

Just about ready to start the full assembly.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

You should read about how to grind piston skirts! Those look tapered next to the cylinders and I read here on the samba that's a NoNo.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

They don't concern me at all, they are forged Mahles!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

Are those by chance the CB 1082 Mahle kit? Have you weighed the pistons, pins and clips yet and if so how much weight difference did you see?

I purchased the 1082 kit from CB and mine had a difference of like, 4.5 grams from heaviest to lightest. I have that down to 1g now, but am still not satisfied.

Ted
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

Also, that #2 rod appears to not be moving freely. Maybe its just the photo, but ideally the rods should drop to perpendicular when the crank is horizontal.

Ted
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

If you're using a deep sump, test fit it now! I had to grind off one of the fat casting flanges at the bottom during engine install to get my sump to fit. Wink
Also, check oil passages compared to crank bearings. I opened them up on my case a little to get them to line up. Other than a few other common engine building tasks the CB/Autoline case was good to go.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

No the Mahle's are from Moore and they weighed out perfectly.

The rod is sticking out there because it is cold and the assembly lube is stiff when cold.

No sump(baja bug) but all the oil passages have been checked along with all the other intricacies that have been reported with Rhino cases.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

Looks like the crank has some set screws in it, I wonder if its passages need cleaning and some threadlocker used on the plugs?
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

I have that same crank in 78.4mm from CB and the plugs do need to be pulled and get my most favoritest Loctite 565 on them. Very Happy So sweet. So smooth. Loctite 565.

The crank measured out insanely well with my Mitutoyo .00001" mic and it was so straight when I spun it on v-blocks I thought my dial indicator was broken.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

jimmyhoffa wrote:
I have that same crank in 78.4mm from CB and the plugs do need to be pulled and get my most favoritest Loctite 565 on them. Very Happy So sweet. So smooth. Loctite 565.

The crank measured out insanely well with my Mitutoyo .00001" mic and it was so straight when I spun it on v-blocks I thought my dial indicator was broken.
.00001 mic? Are you a rocket surgeon?
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

If you've got the main bearings already test fit the crank n bearings in the case and torque it down.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

jealous of the aluminum case, building a 2110 myself, but it will be a budget, use what ya got situation, looks like you got some bitchin stuff . what cam are you going to use?
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
jealous of the aluminum case, building a 2110 myself, but it will be a budget, use what ya got situation, looks like you got some bitchin stuff . what cam are you going to use?

Engle FK-7 and I'm using the Pauter 1.3 rockers on CB 044 heads.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Are those by chance the CB 1082 Mahle kit? Have you weighed the pistons, pins and clips yet and if so how much weight difference did you see? I purchased the 1082 kit from CB and mine had a difference of like, 4.5 grams from heaviest to lightest. I have that down to 1g now, but am still not satisfied. Ted

I found my notes they came in at 457.6g
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

I did some more pre-fitting before I paint the case and my billet distributor clamp would not fit properly (besides needing a longer stud). I had to die-grinder some more of the casting away and also a little filing on the clamp itself. I still need to check my sump cover but it should ready to paint otherwise. I also finished any de-burring of the case (inside/outside) before the final cleaning.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

Painting the case? Confused Why?

I've never seen a painted case look good long term if the car actually gets driven a bunch.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

I've never seen a painted case look good long term if the car actually gets driven a bunch.

When I see a painted case, i think... GEX.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:

When I see a painted case, i think... GEX.

That too Very Happy

Hallmark of quick-n-dirty rebuilds for sure!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

No dirty motors here, 50yrs ago I started by washing the cases in bath tub!!!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Got almost everything for my 2110 Reply with quote

If you ever find an old dishwasher and have hot water hookups in your garage (like for a utility sink with drain) you'll find it makes an excellent parts washer Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: