Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small engine ban?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Small engine ban? Reply with quote

I have a childhood friend who is on the end of the spectrum than me. We argue all the time. But when done we still break bread together.

Years ago, Pat Moynihan and Bob Dole would argue on the floor of the senate, but after they would go to dinner together. It was not personal, but now everything is.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Small engine ban? Reply with quote

I feel strongly that small engines should propane fueled, but that's not going to happen so I'm open to compromise.
It's probably going to work out just fine.

Outlets and extension cords everywhere around here already so that's fine for me. I've got a military power supply that can put out any voltage so if the tools outlive the batteries it's just going to become a corded tool. I'm not going to invest in batteries but it's fine for others to go ahead and try that and hope for the best.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Small engine ban? Reply with quote

We have gardeners come every week, and they use gasoline powered equipment. My property is just an ordinary suburban lot of 13,000 ft.². They could easily reach every bit of it with mowers and trimmers that run off an extension cord plugged into my house.

None of them seem to think this is a good idea. Maybe they like breathing the fumes? I will be paying for the power you see and they wouldn’t have to buy gas but somehow it is still not an attractive deal to my gardener.

I had one that was addicted to the leaf blower and I came home one day and there was a 50 foot tall form of dust over my house from him going crazy with a damn leaf blower. I told him he should just forget about blowing all the little stuff and if he could sweep up the major stuff and that would be fine with me. He refused to give up the leaf blower and just quit the job.

The modern Leaf blower is causing enormous amount of particulate matter to be suspended in the air because these people are blowing up things like dirt and leaf mold in addition to the two-stroke fumes.

Except that of course when you aim a blower at the ground and start blowing it around you really have no idea what’s there or what might’ve been put there or spilled there. And you don’t know what you’re blowing into the atmosphere.

I think everybody should be using a lawn vac if they don’t wanna sweep. They should dispose of the stuff that they vacuum up, rather than blowing things into the atmosphere that don’t need to be there and would not be there otherwise.

That being said, I have an air compressor and an air hose and I use compressed air all the time to blow things from places that you cannot otherwise access and this would certainly be acceptable in the gardening business up to a point.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Small engine ban? Reply with quote

Curious about the excessive use of leaf blowers and them lifting every bit of dry matter and blowing it away.

Reminds me of my Father (he was born in 1917) telling stories about how his Mother took great pride in their weed free, grass free dirt front yard!
She would go out and sweep it to keep it tidy.
Lawn care fashion changes.
When I was a kid we had neither weed whacker or leaf blowers.

We did however have only noisy metal garbage cans, I think the trash people took great delight in banging them around, denting and destroying them ! Laughing

I too dislike the overuse of blowers.
They have their place in lawn care but grass needs the debris from cutting and maintaining it to stay healthy!
Even the act of using grass catchers deprives grass of much needed nutrients.

I actually went back to raking leaves this year.
Not at all the horrible torture that I recall it being back in the 1950’s and 60’s!
But…… I didn't have my parents requiring it be done TODAY!
My yard isn't perfect, far from it and I'm happy with it.
If I lived in some stupid HOA they would probably write me up for unsightly lawn care violations!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Small engine ban? Reply with quote

My neighbor has a backpack leaf blower and I think he loves it more than his kids. During the past 2 years of Covid, we did a lot of outside visits and he seems to always use it when we're sitting in the back yard.

I was given a small hand held and use it sparingly, mostly for getting debris out from under the bushes.

My town has an ordnance that you can't use power equipment before 8:00am weekdays and 9:00am weekends. Most everyone follows it including the landscaping companies.

But then there's the guy 6 houses down that loves to start his Harley in the garage at 7:00am on the weekends when he goes for a coffee run. I can still hear still it when he leaves the traffic light 1/4 mile away.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Small engine ban? Reply with quote

Ha!

During my Post Christmas gift and breakfast time suck…… (the internet)

I just stumbled across a photo of the lawnmower that replaced sheep keeping the Whitehouse lawn trimmed in 1903.

A STEAM POWERED LAWN MOWER!

I've no idea of the fuel used but I bet CARB would go bonkers over it!

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/mower/mower.htm

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Small engine ban? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Ha!

During my Post Christmas gift and breakfast time suck…… (the internet)

I just stumbled across a photo of the lawnmower that replaced sheep keeping the Whitehouse lawn trimmed in 1903.

A STEAM POWERED LAWN MOWER!

I've no idea of the fuel used but I bet CARB would go bonkers over it!

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/mower/mower.htm

Fascinating!, I always kind of wondered how lawn mowing evolved, but never took the time to dig in to the history, thanks for posting that, mystery solved. Cool

Now if anyone razzes me about my vintage mower I can say it's space age compared to that monstrosity.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Small engine ban? Reply with quote

Regarding big noisy motorcycles: I rode a 90 inch twin to work almost every day for several years.

I always put a heat lamp under the engine and warmed it up while I was having my coffee in the morning. Then the engine would start instantly and I didn’t have to wind it up in the garage warming the motor. I could just start it and take off without making a big racket.

Now I’m not a fool enough to run drag pipes on the street, but I did have a straight through exhaust system with big glass pack mufflers. If you could keep your hand from exercising the throttle like a madman, you could be relatively quiet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: