Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The JavaGreen 67
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Since some here have taken an interest in what I have rattling around in my head for a new ACVW build.
I thought that I'd start a thread and throw an idea or two out to the id and see what y'all think.

First idea that comes to my mind is. A turbo build. Very Happy
This would be based off an SP engine that I have already built and is sitting on the garage floor waiting for a car to install it in.
I want to start small and work my way up in the performance range.
You know, kinda a learner, Then get after it! Twisted Evil

I'll be reusing my old set of BRM rims that are in storage, along with a new set of tires.

The second idea is, another 2180. But this time, using a set if IDA carbs that are sitting on my work bench that never got installed on my old engine, that left with the car.

Either way I go. I'll need a new trans. James Lutz will have the honors of repeating the build. He's a great trans builder and offers great advise on what I need to make the trans last thru my brutal treatment. Evil or Very Mad

I haven't taken possession of the car yet. It's paid for and needs brakes.
I asked the seller to replace the brakes. He and his FIL own an VW/BMW repair shop on the West slope in Beaverton Or.
They are more than capable of completing the job and making the car safe to drive.

Once that is done. I'll bring the car home and swap engines from the later DP engine to the SP that is in waiting.

There's tons of work that needs to be done to make the car mine. But I have time this winter to get things sorted.

The car is ugly as F. But it's in better condition than you'd expect. It just looks horrible from the outside.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stay tuned. This should be a fun build!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Cool. Nice to see you're back at it.

Was the singleport built with turbo in mind? Or are you just going to force it air and see what it does? There was a guy a few years back that just forced a stock singleport a bunch of pressure and drove it all around northern California. It seemed to hold up for a long time.

I do love experiments Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Cool. Nice to see you're back at it.

Was the singleport built with turbo in mind? Or are you just going to force it air and see what it does? There was a guy a few years back that just forced a stock singleport a bunch of pressure and drove it all around northern California. It seemed to hold up for a long time.

I do love experiments Laughing

The only mod that I have done on the 1600 SP, is a Norris 330S camshaft.
It's close to stock lift and duration. But provides a little more Umph!

I'm planning on buying the Spa-Turbo Kit.
https://www.spaturbo.com.br/kit-turbo-vw-fusca-car...-turbina/p
At $704.00 complete. It seems like a good starter package.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

A new Bug! This is awesome!

Turbo? WOW! Those are some deep pockets!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Awesome another thread to follow, love it. I am not sure if your Blue 67 had the same mounting spot for the antenna, mine is the same as in your picture it seems they dont seal all the well on the rounded surface. Anyway mine leaked over the years and has caused a small rust problem at the bottom of the A-pillar, still trying to decide a fix as its the only rust on the car.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

I arranged a pickup time for my new JavaGreen 67.

I have been sick for the last 5 day's. So I had that going against me.

Then It has been snowing since Sunday morning. If you don't live here you may not understand the difficulties with driving in the snow here.
People are, how can I say this nicely, Fucking Stupid! When it comes to snow driving here.
You have to live here to even imagine the nightmare situations presented when it snow's.

Tomorrow, I'll go fetch it around 11am. Weather permitting.

There's electrical work and brake work to be done.
The car also needs tires. But that is expected.
A little bit of rust repair at the bottom of the A pillars. That can wait for better, warmer weather.

I'll get some pics uploaded and share the horror with y'all tomorrow.

Stay tuned, this should be an adventure!

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

2180? Turbo? IDK, I think you should go big! Wink

Link

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Link

I have seen that vid Bill.
It's a Subi conversion. Puts out something like 500HP. Shocked

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

I have seen that vid Bill.
It's a Subi conversion. Puts out something like 500HP. Shocked

That's a CRAZY fast bug right there, for sure. 500hp? Wow!

I had an engine builder back in the early 80's in S. California rebuild my high compression 1835 in my Cal-look bug. He drove a 1967' bug that was in VW Trends magazine. It had a 2180 with a turbo. I think it ran 10's in the 1/4 mile. Crazy fast for a bug in the 1980's.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

So this followed me home today.
The look out the rear view mirror of my Tundra.

Loaded up on the U-Haul trailer.

Your basic engine pic. Note: the worst dist, carb combo. 34 pict 3, 009, Grrr!

The darn thing wouldn't idle very well. I wonder why?

Overall, the car is in not too bad of shape, as I likely have stated earlier.

The electrical needs going through. None of the dash lights work, other than the gas gauge light. Turn signals don't work. E flasher too.
The engine has an alternator. I have no idea on the conversation process of these into older cars. Plus all my engines other than this one. Have generators.

The brakes work a bit. It seems the fronts are functioning. The rears are not playing well with the car at all.
I was pretty surprised when I went to unload the car from the trailer and found that there was, at least some brakes. The seller told me they didn't work, AT ALL! He loaded the car onto the trailer. So I had no idea.

The clutch appears to be in good shape, and doesn't make any odd noises when the pedal is depressed or released.
The trans shifts like it's new. That was a surprise too. Most of these older cars that have been sitting for an extended period of time, have crunchy transmissions.

Oddly, after 5 years of driving with a VS shift lever. I found that the stocker was, sloppy and not very precise, as I am accustomed to in my last car.
I'm gonna have to do something about that. Very Happy

More to come over the next few day's. Tomorrow I am helping a friend bleed his brakes on his 66 in 20-30°F weather. Shocked That'll be fun!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Way to go! Looking forward to your new direction.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing what direction you go with this car.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

So the brake bleeding mentioned above went well.
I wish I had a video of the first drive around the block after it was completed.
The shit eating grin on Don's face was priceless! Very Happy
He has never driven the car, other than the test drive last March when we looked at the car for sale.

I haven't done much to the JaveGreen car, Yet! I'm still waiting on the insurance settlement payment. So until then, I'm just dinking around with little things, before going wild ordering parts that need replacement.

I did get to the DMV yesterday. It was a bit snowy out, so why not get that out out of the way. 15th person through the door without an appointment, and 35 minutes later I walked out the door with a titled car and new Pacific Wonderland Blue and Yellow license plates in hand. Cool

Later in the day as weather permitted. I cleaned the inside windows. And made mental notes of the things the interior of the car needs.
A dash center defrost vent, popout window knobs, seat belts, replacement dome light assembly, really that's it!

I also went to O'reilles and picked up a set of sparkplug wires. The 20yo wires were sparking against the FS. Once I installed the new wires, the engine ran well enough to take a spin around the block, carefully, very carefully!

First impressions, the trans shifts like it's new.

The engine needs a good tune up. But I'll likely just swap it out for an SP I have sitting on the garage floor. The SP is fresh and correct for the car, in it's current state.

Turn signals don't work. When I killed the engine after the drive. I could hear the flasher clicking. The wiring needs some Love.

The alternator needs the external VR wired correctly. The engine will continue running when I disconnect the boost box from the battery. So it's getting power from somewhere. I know nothing of Alt's in old beetles. So this is gonna be fun learning about what it takes to get it up and functioning.

More updates to come.

Some pics, I have more but the site was giving me a hard time while I was uploading. I'll add more today.

I already have a set of replacement WW Re-pop window crank handles.

VW emblem on the windshield glass,

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

More pics,
Dash, including a Sapphire V am radio.

Headliner Rearward.

Headliner Forward.

Seats and dash again. I need the rubber mat behind the pedal cluster.

Rear seat back, the bottom is out ATM to access the battery.

Pass side A pillar rust. Go figure. Drivers side is the same.

The Frunk Lid, This is the worst of the paint. Other than the mismatched fender, decklid and engine compartment paints. It's all JavaGreen, it just doesn't match well.
Yes, I am aware that the car has a shitty respray!

My SIL thinks I should leave the ugly Frunk lid as is. Keeping the sleeper effect in place. He has good taste, but really not with car stuff.
I do some of the maintenance on his work trucks, from time to time.

Up next, The wiring nightmare!

Have a Happy New Year!

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

I hope the new year will bring you happiness with VWs, 67. What a terrible kick in the gut to have your original '67 stolen.

Quote:
Oddly, after 5 years of driving with a VS shift lever. I found that the stocker was, sloppy and not very precise, as I am accustomed to in my last car.
I'm gonna have to do something about that.

Cheapest improvement would be to replace the front shifter bushing and the rear coupler cage bushings, and install a short-shift kit. The aluminum kits are the better ones and only cost a few $ more than the plastics. You can paint the kit base satin black so that it's not so noticeable.

Have you looked under your rear seat on the driver's side if the bracket for the original 12 V voltage regulator is still in place? And maybe even the VR itself, if only the wires were changed/adapted for the alternator install? My opinion of alternators is similar to yours; they only look "proper" as of the '73 model year. I have one in my '77 Beetle, and a 12 V generator in my '64 Ghia. For your '67 and its temporary SP engine, a gen would certainly look proper. If you don't have a big stereo, the gen will be completely sufficient for electrical output.

Headliner looks excellent; will clean up nicely with a misting of SimpleGreen and a damp sponge.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

The A pillar on my 67 looks just like yours ...even the color Smile . The passenger side pillar is in great shape...weird. I think the radio antenna is the reason on mine.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
I hope the new year will bring you happiness with VWs, 67. What a terrible kick in the gut to have your original '67 stolen.

Quote:
I'm gonna have to do something about that.

Cheapest improvement would be to replace the front shifter bushing and the rear coupler cage bushings, and install a short-shift kit. The aluminum kits are the better ones and only cost a few $ more than the plastics. You can paint the kit base satin black so that it's not so noticeable.

Have you looked under your rear seat on the driver's side if the bracket for the original 12 V voltage regulator is still in place? And maybe even the VR itself, if only the wires were changed/adapted for the alternator install? My opinion of alternators is similar to yours; they only look "proper" as of the '73 model year. I have one in my '77 Beetle, and a 12 V generator in my '64 Ghia. For your '67 and its temporary SP engine, a gen would certainly look proper. If you don't have a big stereo, the gen will be completely sufficient for electrical output.

Headliner looks excellent; will clean up nicely with a misting of SimpleGreen and a damp sponge.

Thank you for the comments and advice Roam.

I have a Hurst Copper shift lever in hand. So that will replace the stock model.

There in an SS VR under the back seat, drivers side. I just need to go out and take a look at what it is.
But I do agree. The Alt is not needed. I use a BT speaker when out driving.
The only high current draw piece I would install in the car would be a CDI system. But that remains to be seen, as I have not completely finalized my performance mod idea's.

The headliner is stained from years of outdoor storage. But it is actually cleaner than the one in my Blue car. I did try to clean a spot near the rear windshield. It really didn't look any better. I can live with it the way it is.

My issue is. It's really cold outside and I'm a wus when it comes to being cold. Surprised It's supposed to warm up a bit this week. So hopefully I can get some of the low hanging fruit taken care of.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
The A pillar on my 67 looks just like yours ...even the color Smile . The passenger side pillar is in great shape...weird. I think the radio antenna is the reason on mine.

Bill,
Yeah, this is gonna be a fun fix! As luck would have it. I have a parts car sitting in the driveway. Just for these occasions. Very Happy
The lower A pillars are in good shape. But that car has been smashed badly in the front end. So it's not a great builder.

My welder is at a co-workers house. Kay builds metal stuff for his annual BBQ's.
I don't mind loaning it to him. Every time I get it back, Kay has made some really cool improvement to the cart. I can't wait to see what he comes up with this time. Cool

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Swapped gear shift levers this evening. The Hurst is still a bit sloppy. And the shift rod bushing needs to be replaced. Go figure!
I ordered a bushing from WW. But they are OOS on the couplers ATM, Dammit!

I also lubed the door lock mechanism's. The key's didn't unlock the doors. So that's forward progress.
The passenger side door lock only turns to, unlock the door. I can't get it to lock the door with the key. No biggie!

More to come.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

This is a great candidate. I love the color. Congratulations! Proves the world is full of second chances and new beginnings. Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: