Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The JavaGreen 67
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

yeah, car looks good! I would be happy with that

for electrical stuff, this guy has a lot of good info. the type2.com site has good info on replacing the 9 prong box with regular cheap stuff if you don't need the hazards to work. http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/elec.htm
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

So I have been ordering parts, ACN, WW, and VolksGallery, so far.

The first part that came in is the shift rod bushing. I'll tackle that task tomorrow. That's always good fun. Shocked

Other WW parts ordered are replacement door seals, door check rod seals, frunk and engine cover seals, fender beading. Just to mention a few.

ACN goodies are, Trans Rhino mounts, SS HD throttle cable, a better gas cap, and a Fast Fab wing, kinda like a Harred Helper wing. < For the race track! Very Happy

VolksGallery had a VS Classic shift lever in stock. So I ordered that too. I really like the crisp shifts those deliver.

I shopped for ProCar Ralley highback seats. But the bases are out of stock ATM. I'll get those at a later date.
I like the highbacks for the head support. The last time we had a peashooter race night, my neck was extremely soar after five runs, while wearing a helmet.
Getting old sucks!

More to come!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Was really bummed to read about your recent happenings, but looking forward to watching this build! Thanks for sharing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

buntist wrote:
Was really bummed to read about your recent happenings, but looking forward to watching this build! Thanks for sharing.

I was really bummed too. But what am I gonna do, Salk forever about the loss?
Nope! Move on and have fun doing it.

On the blue car, I'd really like to have the rear axles. They were SAW racing axles. You can't get them anymore.
Also the Rocket wheels. Those are hard to find.

Other than that. Most of the car can be replaced. With enough hunting and collecting of the hard to find goodies I had on the other car.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

So I changed the shift rod bushing today.

I made this tool, to assist getting the shift rod back into place.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The overall length is 58.5" end to end. At that length, you are left with this much of the tool sticking out of the front of the car,

Perfect.
When I removed the inspection plate. I found this. WTF? That stuff looks/feels like duct seal. The PO must have packed in there in an effort to quiet down the shift rod rattle, caused by the worn out bushing.

Also in the above pic, I used the edge of the inspection hole to hold the shift coupler metal bit, while unscrewing the fastener that holds the coupler together. The screwdriver is pointing to where I had the coupler pressed against the inspection hole.

Here's what's left of the bushing laying in the bottom of the tunnel.

Having finished the shift rod bushing install. I decided to do a three minute task and delete the antenna.
I found a antenna delete plug in the classifieds. Cool These are real hard to find and not in the least bit cheap. When you can find an original.

Some observations. Since today is the first day in a month that it isn't raining/snowing. I had a chance to have a good look at the floor pans from the bottom side. I missed a huge PO hacked repair panel when I made the deal on the car. Shocked I'll have to address that when the weather gets better.

The Z bar is missing. Luckily I have another on the parts 67 under the tarp!Very Happy

The steering wheel is missing the turn signal cancelation bit. Hopefully the aforementioned parts car has that intact.

The dash wiring is a mess. There are so many disconnected wire in the frunk. I really have no idea where to start. It looks like I'm gonna have to spend a few day's with the manual in hand to get that rats nest sorted.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to stop the trunk lid rust?
I thought that I had found a Krylon Hunter Green (52001) color match for JavaGreen. The can cap color is very close. But the sprayed product is way to light for a fake match. The search goes on.

More to come.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

thats what I waa gonna say. remove bad paint. treat the rust with ospho. epoxy. krylon match.

theres a thread somewhere with kyrlon matches to og vw paint codes.

thats what i did on my pearl white 65. turnes out great for a temporary job. makes it easier to look at.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

If you can get a decent shine from the rest of the Java green paint on the car and hood, a mismatch/"close-enough" match from a store-bought spray can will look odd. This vendor sells Java: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2361481
The thread for spray cans which chickensoup is probably referring to is this one:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

For treating the heavy rust now on your hood, I'm sure there are numerous descriptions by others on tS. What has worked for me on reviving rusty engine tins to a presentable level was:
-Angle grinder wire brush to knock the worst of the rust off the surface (wear safety goggles and long sleeve sweatshirt)
-80 grit sandpaper by hand (you can use a power oscillating palm sander for your hood's larger surfaces, but that makes noise so do this inside the garage for being considerate of neighborhood) to knock down the rust craters that stand proud of the surrounding surface
-Chemically stabilize the rust using spray-on rust converter spray
-Spray can Rust-O-Leum Rusty Metal Primer
-Wet sand with 220
-Spray can sandable primer/filler to gradually fill the rust pockmarks. 320 wet sand in between the applications (allowing a day for each coat to fully dry). 2 applications were sufficient for me
-Final wet sand with 320 or 400
-Semi-gloss black spray can

An alternate step for the rust stabilizer could be the epoxy primer, or Master Series.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

I made the same tool for my bushing change. Removing all the extras to get to the bushing was worst part of the job.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Thanks Rome for the suggestions, regarding the paint and dealing with the hood rust.
Now if it would just stop raining. I can get that nasty task out of the way.

Bill, that tool works great! Right?

I forgot to report that the shift lever is much more solid. After the shift rod bushing change.
But I still like the VS Classic lever better than the Hurst. The new VS shift lever will arrive this week.

When I arrived home tonight from work. There was a package on the front porch. Fra.gi.le, was written all over the box. Must be from France! Shocked
Inside was a set of Vintage Car VC-5000 LED Headlights! Cool
I found those in the classifieds here for a good price. The PO wanted to keep his car with the Halogen headlight. They were installed in his car. Then removed right away.

I had a few minutes before sundown to day. So I tried a little TR-3 Resin Glaze on the roof of the car. Thanks for posting the TR-3 idea in another thread, Everett.

The underlying paint has some promise.

Now for the dumb question.
I have no idea what the difference is between a internal regulated alternator and an externally regulated alternator look like.
Is this an internally regulated alternator?

The car is wired like it is. But IDk for sure.

Thanks for reading along. More updates to come.

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

that looks to be an external regulator
internal looks like trhis

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

yes, thats externally regulated. I prefer internally regulated but if it works it works.

Damn! I wish i could find cars down here that just polish up like that Shocked If there isnt any rott.. fix the hood defect and clear coat that bitch.

edit-

You need gas burners...

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
"When I removed the inspection plate, I found this desiccated mouse!"

I had to actually read your description to understand what I was looking at, lol.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't try to match the paint. Clean up the metal and treat it with some rust convertor. Then paint it grey and make it look like the paint faded to the primer.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
yes, thats externally regulated. I prefer internally regulated but if it works it works.

Damn! I wish i could find cars down here that just polish up like that Shocked If there isnt any rott.. fix the hood defect and clear coat that bitch.

edit-

You need gas burners...

Yeah, The BRM's are gonna have to work on the JavaGreen car. I have them in storage. Very Happy They'll look good on it!

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Chad M wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
"When I removed the inspection plate, I found this desiccated mouse!"

I had to actually read your description to understand what I was looking at, lol.

Lol! It was definitely not a desiccated mouse. That shit is still stained in the cracks of my right thumb. No matter how hard I scrub!

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Personally I wouldn't try to match the paint. Clean up the metal and treat it with some rust convertor. Then paint it grey and make it look like the paint faded to the primer.

Thanks for this suggestion.
There a couple of crusty places that will need some rust remediation. But they will fit the motif! Shocked

The VS shift lever was sitting on my front porch when I arrived home this afternoon. That'll get installed this weekend.

The engine needs to be swapped. I ran it last night and it's a smoker.
Since there's a fresh 1600 SP sitting in the garage. I might as well run it. For the time being, while I work out the details of the..........
Maybe if the weather holds, I'll tackle the swap.

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the BRMs on your car they have always been a favorite setup. I think they will look great on the Java Green.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Looking forward to seeing the BRMs on your car they have always been a favorite setup. I think they will look great on the Java Green.

I really liked the Rocket wheels on the Blue car. I bet they would look great on the JavaGreen car too!

Oh well. The BRM's are what I have in hand. So I'll run them!

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

Ha ha I always thought you had BRMs on the Blue 67... Very Happy . The 5 spokes look great too. A friend in town had a 67 in Blue with BRMs and every time I saw it I thought of your car.... Embarassed
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: The JavaGreen 67 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Big Bill wrote:

I really liked the Rocket wheels on the Blue car. I bet they would look great on the JavaGreen car too!

Oh well. The BRM's are what I have in hand. So I'll run them!

Rockets are some og wheels! I wanted some really bad for my 66' Chevelle back in the day but they were too pricey even then.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: