Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New interior panel installation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

I have brand new "door cards" for every where.

I have been working for 2 days to figure out how they actually install.

The clips of course slide into the holes on the back of the panel. Those large holes seem to purposely NOT line up with the small holes in the door.

That is because when the clips are inserted into the panel, they have to be offset from the large panel hole..... BUT WHICH WAY??

And the black plastic sleeves don't fit into the holes in the door.

And the part of the clip that goes into the door is WAY TOO WIDE. I had to mash the clip closed.
If not the clip will not go into the plastic sleeve.

Am I dealing with normal stuff here?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

The OG cards had the direction the clips pointed to printed on the backs, I guess you'll have to make a paper pattern of the panel holes and overlay it on the door, then mark the holes in the door on the pattern and transfer it back onto the back of the new panel.

As for the clips you'll have to get creative, sadly we have to bend over and use what we got https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9760722#9760722 , although having looked at CIP's selection a few weeks ago the ones they say fit Beetles may be closer to the bus ones.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

The new clips are the WORST! Reuse any old clips you have that are in good shape.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
The new PARTS are the WORST! Reuse any old PARTS you have that are in good shape.

There, fixed it for you. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
EZ Gruv wrote:
The new PARTS are the WORST! Reuse any old PARTS you have that are in good shape.

There, fixed it for you. Wink

Well...yeah.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

Make sure you are using Bus door panel clips and rubber boots. The Beetle ones looks the same but are quite a bit wider.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
Make sure you are using Bus door panel clips and rubber boots. The Beetle ones looks the same but are quite a bit wider.

I guess i should double check the part #s on the bags. It has been months since i bought all that.

The “boots” in the pic above will only go about 1/2 way in.

I had the idea to make a paper pattern. Guess that is the way to go. There are like 18 clips for the sliding door. No way to get them all lined up.

Thanks for confirming.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

If you have the beetle clips and rubber grommets , no way are they going to work, as they are too big. Where did you get them? WW and WCM have the correct clips for a bus, and I have purchased from them in the past. If the door cards are TMI , I’ve installed lots of them over the years, and never had an issue with the holes being “ off” . The idea of the large hole punched in the panel is to so you can “rotate” the clip to the right position to push into the plug. I install all of the rubber grommets first (AFTER installing the plastic moisture barrier) then install the metal clips on the panel and “ pre” line them up with the grommets, and then push the panel on one clip at a time so I can “ fine tune” the clip positions. It takes a while , but has always come out right for me doing this way. Google “ how to install door panels in VW bus” and you will find lots of videos of how to do this. Bob
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

Malcolm,

I have a Tupperware full of old clips.
If you want some, PM me.

Andrew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

you might be right.... purchased from JBugs

I believe the clips can be adjusted for for smaller holes. I really don't see a difference the ones I bought and ones with a proper part# on another site.

But the seals I bought just will not go. It seems that I bought the wrong everything.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

Nope. Can’t “adjust” them . The PO of my bus got the plugs and clips from J Bugs, and I have had to replace all of them. Get the right ones. OEM would be best.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

The Volkswagen Ranch wrote:
Nope. Can’t “adjust” them . The PO of my bus got the plugs and clips from J Bugs, and I have had to replace all of them. Get the right ones. OEM would be best.

Can't adjust the clips?

How are the clips different? I put in 2 panels yesterday. I did one side with the paper to figure out which way the clips point and the other side I just fiddled with each clip.

As in the 1st pic i posted, I just had to squeeze the spring portion in. with the exception of the "condoms" being missing and on order, the panels fit nicely.

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

I found that if I did “squeeze them” smaller, they would not be reusable. Maybe what you have is different . I had to replace all of them in both doors. Most of them that I removed did hold the panels , but without the rubber grommets. The correct ones fit nicely, and panels are tight, but easily removed for access to internals in the doors.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

Only the cab doors use (or need) the condoms, the rest just go straight into the metal, no water runs down the inside of any of the cargo area panels.

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Only the cab doors use (or need) the condoms, the rest just go straight into the metal, no water runs down the inside of any of the cargo area panels.

that will be true, now that I have welded up the window sills.

I maybe over doing it, but I added a vaper barrier to the panel opening too. I have already used the B-Quiet sound deadening material, but doing some reading it seemed that folks felt like the vaper barrier helped to quiet things down.

Just as a test, I found a hole that was a bit larger than the ones used to hold the panels..... I inserted a seal and then a clip. The seal made the clip nice and firm.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

Jersey looker Early bay has 42 condoms and 42 clips. shows the condom on the non-sliding door side.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

Interesting, there's no need for them, maybe it's another of those 68 only things?

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:

I have a Tupperware full of old clips.
If you want some, PM me.

Andrew

Thanks for the offer. I think i can modify these. I have installed the 2 small cards in the rear and everything seems fine.

Clark
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

I used the paper template idea and it seemed to work pretty well. But it was taking a very long time to tape the paper to the walls. So I up the paper on the back of the panel while on saw horses. Then taped that template to the wall.

anyway, so damn clips ripped out of the holes, so i had to touch up with some strong double stick tape strips. the corner hole location seems to be the most fragile.

Time-wise it took about 8 hours to do adjust all the clips, mark and install these 4 panels and clean up the armrests and bolt them in.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: New interior panel installation Reply with quote

Moving on to the bulk-heads and the storage area....

The card kit did not come with the cards for the storage area. I can't seem to find them for sale in the US.

So I am making cardboard templates.

I have a 4'x4' corrugated plastic slip sheet that I will cut to fit.

Any other ideas on what do do here?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: