Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Stuttering Issue (Another One)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

Base info - Type IV, 2056cc, Fuel Injected

Symptoms - Driving along, after a few minutes, a small stutter, then another, and another. Feel like I'm running out of gas.
Two weeks ago, it was so bad I lost all power and couldn't restart. I got a tow back to town after camping at the lake.

What I've done -
Tested fuel pressure: tests fine right about 35 PSI
Replaced the Temp Sensor II: the new one test at around 2800-ish (or higher) cold, and low 800s warm
Checked for vacuum leaks: none apparent
Checked the AFM connections: all pins and connections good. I did find this piece of plastic (from the lid) on one of the connections inside, which I removed:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's running fine in my driveway at the moment - but it ran fine in my driveway last week too - after I swapped the TSII, but it still stuttered on me today after 2 miles of driving.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

Consider a jumper wire between battery + and #15 on the coil for a test, just to rule out a failing ignition switch.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

Fuel pressure is 35 but how’s the flow? Run a hose into a jar, turn on the key, move the door in the AFM and see if it bogs down
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

your AFM board is SHOT imho. its worn down to the bone

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Can't you just color that in with a black sharpie?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

is not the black conductive material?

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
aeromech wrote:

is not the black conductive material?

Just passing through, but I believe the Sharpie comment to be coated an inch thick in sarcasm.

Clearly, that worn AFM resistive track is the cause of the stuttering.

1978 Westy
1971 Super Beetle Convertible

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

i dont do subtle well, but i did catch the sarcasm. i guess when i asked, i was expecting someone to respond about what could be used to “repaint” or “recoat” that area.

im sure i have a box or two that is gonna need that as well.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

Richard Atwell was working on a project that would allow replacement boards that actually worked plug and play. Might contact him to see whether it ever happened or not.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

Try this: loosen the four Philips screws and spudge the board in whichever direction it will go, and snug the screws back. This should give the pickup points a new place to ride. This isn't a long-term fix, but it can get you home if the bus refuses to cooperate and you don't want to waste a tow.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Try this: loosen the four Philips screws and spudge the board in whichever direction it will go, and snug the screws back. This should give the pickup points a new place to ride. This isn't a long-term fix, but it can get you home if the bus refuses to cooperate and you don't want to waste a tow.

Robbie

Made this adjustment, not much room to move there.

Went on a 30-ish minute test drive around the 'hood. Up the hill, down the hill (several times), flat land; speeds up to about 45mph so far. No issues detected to this point.
It was 3:00 in the afternoon, about 50 degrees ambient, windy and starting to rain.
Longer, faster test is needed.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

Update>
Went on a 90 minute test drive today around Las Vegas, 75 miles, mostly freeway (65-70mph), but also stop and go city driving at various speeds.
The drive began about 1pm, and it was about 44 degrees ambient outside.
No stumbling/sputtering to report.
My Photography Page.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

Sounds like Robbie saved the day
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

Just borrowing time before the inevitable replacement. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Just borrowing time before the inevitable replacement. Smile

Yep, it's on the list now. Wink
My Photography Page.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

if that picture is accurate and those black paths really are worn that badly above the "OH"MIC (and it's not just the lighting) , then that is 100% for sure the issue

you can further Robbie's workaround scenario by cleaning things a bit with DeOxIt to "help" things a little.. and really trying to keep those contacts off that worn path...

but as said by others, a new one does appear to be in order ..

best paired with a wideband to get the AFM set up properly
you mentioned 2056cc, so i assume 71x96 instead of 71x94, so perhaps a custom motor.. def want to put the time into tuning with the WBO2 if it's not a stock cam
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

That board is definitely rough. I went through this a while ago and discovered the Vanagon guys had found a source for a new board. A few Samba searches turned it up, not sure where it is but may be worth checking.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
Base info - Type IV, 2056cc, Fuel Injected

Symptoms - Driving along, after a few minutes, a small stutter, then another, and another. Feel like I'm running out of gas.
Two weeks ago, it was so bad I lost all power and couldn't restart. I got a tow back to town after camping at the lake.

What I've done -
Tested fuel pressure: tests fine right about 35 PSI
Replaced the Temp Sensor II: the new one test at around 2800-ish (or higher) cold, and low 800s warm
Checked for vacuum leaks: none apparent
Checked the AFM connections: all pins and connections good. I did find this piece of plastic (from the lid) on one of the connections inside, which I removed:

It's running fine in my driveway at the moment - but it ran fine in my driveway last week too - after I swapped the TSII, but it still stuttered on me today after 2 miles of driving.

So...these are really good pictures of this board.

To those who do not yet know.....the little blackish-gray squares and rectangles...are printed resistors. The thin black lines are laser trim marks.

These are either screen or metal stencil printed (probably screen because the Bosch plants I have been into use screen for similar ceramic board types.

The wiper path itself is of one uniform thickness. I know that to be true because A. I have measured a few and B. in over 4300 plants I have been in (all of them printing plants at some level)..... you cannot consistently make a screen whose photo stencil is "ramped" or variable. I have only made a few like that for R&D.

So the wiper trace is uniform. The ramps that point outward from segment to segment are simply connectors with the printed PTF silver traces that makes the connecting traces.....to the resistor blocks and rectangles.

The funny thing is that the resistor blocks....are just trimmed by laser because its an automation convenience for high volume production. Many plants I have been into still do this same resistance 'trimming"...do it by hand with a diamond scriber and a pin-out board and bench top scope. For skilled people it takes seconds.

So.....the wiper path is just a printed conductive carbon with a certain level of overall resistance or ballast. The real operators are the printed resistor blocks.

So yes....if someone wanted to print the wiper trace (the easy part)....you "could" simply replace the resistor blocks and rectangles with fixed surface mount resistors (how its been done since this era).

But....."trimming" them to get very precise resistance is not simple with a surface mount resistor. So....you would use small potentiometers and adjust them to the required resistance.

The first key would be to find an operable board and then with a scriber...sever the connection to each printed resistor square...so you can read its ballast value.

There are a lot of small job shops out there that can build these. The question will be volume, cad time, films, assembly/tuning and QA cost.

Ray
NOVA Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

I just replaced my AFM, send to these guys; not cheap but fast $230.

Supposedly they replace the board and internals.

https://fuelinjectioncorp.com/products/air-flow-meters/

The replacement unit tested to spec per my check. Bus runs smoother.

One thing which folks overlook on stock fuel injection is the wires, grounds, and connection points. It will greatly improve your performance if you clean all the connections (ie-Demmel tool wire brush buff/polish), this is a detailed process, and takes a lot of careful work, but it will reward you with a better running engine. Most these vehicles are nearing 50 years, that's a lot of dirt/dust/oil/corrosion to maintain a solid electrical connection.

There are some great electrical contact cleaners as well.
Hosa D5S-6 CAIG DeoxIT 5% Spray Contact Cleaner, 5 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XJTSE94CRB7TY12G1ZPJ
- Brown Beige plaid P27 Interior (ED)
http:/[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-29638.png]Click to view image
Camper Interior donor:
[/URL]/www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=721 (M-Code for interior).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: My Stuttering Issue (Another One) Reply with quote

NOVA Bus wrote:
I just replaced my AFM, send to these guys; not cheap but fast $230.

Supposedly they replace the board and internals.

I bought the complete fuel injection system off a bus in a wrecking yard a few years back, the bus looked almost show room new, from new tires (which I also bought) to a perfect paint job to a flawless interior. The guy at the wrecking yard said that the owner had spent mucho dollars trying to get it to run right, including just having bought a rebuilt AFM, which had a sticker on it from a leading rebuilder. When I put the system onto my 411 it didn't run well at all and the AFM tested okay according to the Bentley, but since the problem seemed to be AFM related I popped the top and found a sticker from another rebuilder inside that had a recent date on it. The resistance track was shot and there were missing parts so the initial rebuilder had made no effort to correct anything inside and the second rebuilder hadn't even removed the lid and removed the first rebuilder's sticker. I called the second rebuilder to learn where I might get a better board and the missing pieces and got no help at all. Getting paid to do a full rebuild and then only cleaning the exterior and putting a sticker on seems like a sad but very profitable racket.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: