Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator Charging Voltage question
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

Hi all,

Happy Holidays. My charging voltage is around 14.1/14.2ish volts with engine running. When I apply a series of loads - headlights, voltage drops a bit to 13.5ish; windshield wipers drops it to 12.9. Auxiliary heater fan drops it even more to around 12.1-12.3.

I don't have any indications of undercharging going on but I guess my question is should the alternator maintain around 14V at idle? Or is it normal for the charging voltage to decrease as more load is added even though the alternator is charging? I ask because I notice the engine speed being affected as the voltage drops and am wondering if my alternator may not be outputting as much as it should. The charging voltage will be higher as engine RPMs increase but I guess I'm used to my 98 Jeep that pretty much stays at 14-14.5V all the time with normal load.

Thanks,
Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

What are the readings at approx 3k rpm at idle and with the various power loads?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

where are you making the measurements?
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

74 - I will do that and report back.

Steve - I'm taking that measurement from a VDO voltmeter wired into the fuse box and grounded to a screw connected to one of the air ducts.

Thanks,
Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

Use a multimeter and take the reading at the battery terminals.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Use a multimeter and take the reading at the battery terminals.

X2

You are actually measuring resistance in the wiring loom between the back of the bus and the front, not alternator voltage. The more current it pulls, the more voltage is lost to resistance. Think of it like water in a hose. At low flow there is a lot of pressure, but as you increase the flow, the resistance in the hose drops the pressure. That is why when you put your thumb on the end of the hose to slow the flow, the water might spray 10' but when the hose end is totally open the flow might only go 3 or 4 inches past the end of the hose - but there is a lot more water. A volt meter measures the electrical pressure between two points, (differential) whereas an amp meter measures the number of electrons flowing. One amp is one coulomb per second (6.242 x 10 18^ electrons per second). You want to know what the voltage is close to the battery, not all the way up front. That is a different question, namely "how much voltage am I losing between the back of the bus and the front at different current loads." Then the next questions are "why," and "is that normal." If yes then Ok. If no, then where is the corrosion...

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

Will do. Part of this is trying to confirm if my voltmeter is accurate. Currently, at idle with no load i’m seeing between 14.1 and 14.3. However, with lights on, windshield wipers on, and turn signal on, at idle, it drops to 12.1. At speed, around 3000 to 4000 RPM, with the same load and accessories turned on the voltage drops to about 13.1 maybe 12.9. Just wondering if that shouldn’t be a little higher.

When we first got this bus, five years ago, one of the diode’s was loose from the back plate in the alternator so I JB welded it in and it has been running and charging, seemingly fine, ever since.

Thanks,
Mikey
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

you are saying that you want to know what the pressure is at the water well head pump but you are reading the pressure 1000' way at the hose end while you are running the bathtub. If you want to measure what is going on at the pump you will have to install a gauge at the pump. If you want a more accurate accounting of what the pressure is at the well head but you want to read it 1000' away, you will have to run a dedicated line that has no loss at the gauge end. Meaning you will have to run a dedicated line from the alternator / battery connection at the starter, and FUSE it to be safe. It will tell you what is going on back there but next you will ask why is it 12.5 V up front and 14.3 V in the back. Turn off the bathtub or improve the plumbing in between.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

MikeyM73 wrote:
When we first got this bus, five years ago, one of the diode’s was loose from the back plate in the alternator so I JB welded it in and it has been running and charging, seemingly fine, ever since...

Uh, no - not a good fix. JB Weld is great at many things, but fixing electrical isn't one of them. It's an insulator. An alternator diode is a high current device, and any added resistance is going to make a big difference in alternator output. The diode should be a press fit into its mounting plate. If it's loose, the proper fix is to shrink the hole a little, then press it back in.

Not saying that this is your only problem, but it's surely not helping...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

If you have 14volts at the battery and 12.9 at the fuse box with everything "ON" then that would be normal. Though at idle you might not be able to maintain 14v at the battery under full load, especially if the one diode is not making good contact.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

Thanks all. Telford, I dug through some old posts and turns out I posted up a couple years back about having a loose diode that you guys helped me out with (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728659&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) - forgot about that until now. Apparently, the metal of the "lip" of the hole in the B+ plate that secures the diode in place somehow cracked just enough to loosen it and let it jiggle around. These days, as we're getting more accessories working, fixed, added, etc. I had a concern about voltage levels.

My JB Weld fix was actually a thin epoxy bead but at the time I pushed the diode back through the hole, squished that metal back together as much as possible and when I pressed the diode back in from the back, the fit was tight but I wasn't sure if it would come loose again so my epoxy application was a very thin bead on the backside only around the edge of the diode just for insurance. I did not slather it across the back because I figured there would need to be some kind of heat dissipation. If you think I should correct this, I will.

Other than that, I'll compare the voltages from front to rear but if it's considered normal to idle at 12.5V + with headlights, wipers, and turn signal on, I can live with that.

Thanks for all your help
Mikey
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

A word about JB Weld. it is a conductor and not an insulator. JB weld has ground metal in it. As a result it will conduct electricity.

This is why you can use it like bondo on something then powder coat it. Someting you cannot do with actual bondo. Idea
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

MikeyM73 wrote:
If you think I should correct this, I will.

From your description, you're probably OK, but keep an eye on it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

Thanks Telford. So what kind of issues might I see related to that?

Thanks,
Mikey
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

MikeyM73 wrote:
So what kind of issues might I see related to that?

If the diode has poor contact, it will likely get hot and possibly fail. If the failure is a short, the alternator output will likely stop, and the indicator light will come on. If the failure is an open circuit, the alternator output will drop, and the battery may not charge fully. Either way, you'll know it if it happens.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

Fair enough. Thanks Telford,

Have a happy NY, all.

Mikey
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
A word about JB Weld. it is a conductor and not an insulator. JB weld has ground metal in it. As a result it will conduct electricity.

This is why you can use it like bondo on something then powder coat it. Someting you cannot do with actual bondo. Idea

There are conductors, and then there are conductors. JB Weld is likely a high resistance conductor (probably in the thousands of ohms per inch category - next time I use some, I'll measure it). This is good enough for powder coating (which has current flows in the milliamp or microamp range), but likely useless for high current apps like 35 amp alternator diodes...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

from JB Weld FAQ, manufacturer's web site.

Q. Will J-B Weld conduct electricity?
A. No. J-B Weld is not considered to be a conductor. It is an insulator.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

So let's say for the sake of the conversation that all wiring is good, no electrical draws, etc. What should the minimum charging voltage be? I'm starting to see the volt meter creep to 15.1 and I believe the max should be no more than 14.5, correct? I have a couple spare voltage regulators that I will install to see if I can bring that down to around 14.5V but it's the minimum voltage I'm concerned with. I presume VW rated their alternators to run all accessories the bus came with in rainy weather so I'm curious as to what you all see with everything (or almost everything turned on) at idle. Wipers, radio at low volume, lights, aux heater fan, and let's throw in a turn signal for good measure.

My Jeep is modern day and with all of the above it charges at idle right about 13.5V, maybe a bit more. I presume this would be true of most alternators in a 12V system but I guess that's the bottom line question... what is the minimum voltage one should see under those conditions?

Damn.. 74 Thing, I haven't gotten to checking on your question but I will do that tomorrow and let you know. Thanks.

Thanks for the continued advice,
Mikey
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Charging Voltage question Reply with quote

15.1 is getting up there, 14.5 is the common max voltage. If your's is going higher the VR is to blame, it may not be sensing voltage properly (bad terminal or broken wire, or terminal pushing out of the plug, bad ground), or it may have internal issues. The mechanical ones can be tweaked to limit max volts, the solid state ones can not.

A properly functioning VR keeps the volts at a set limit, if you turn on a light or some other draw it signals the alternator to work a little harder to maintain the volts it's trying to see. If it can't properly sense voltage, or the battery isn't soaking up what the alternator is putting out voltage may exceed what you hope to see.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: