Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking For Vanagon Conversion/Restoration Assistance Salem, OR
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brentw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Looking For Vanagon Conversion/Restoration Assistance Salem, OR Reply with quote

I received a request (see message just below) for help from a couple, Lane and Nancy Weinberg, who live in Salem, Oregon. Lane had started a subaru engine conversion on his Westy some time ago before his health declined. They would like to get the job finished while they still have time to do some camping.

We are in the middle of a conversion, Subaru 2.2 to a 1981 Westie (already converted to water cooled). Lane has done the front plumbing. Since then we have moved 3 times. He was getting ready to start work on it again when he was hit with cancer, then kidney failure and now AB Parkenson's. There is no way he can finish the build. I have asked everyone we know if they could possibly do the work without any luck. Now I am asking this group if there is anyone out there who would be willing to help us . We live in Salem Oregon 97302. All the parts and tools are sitting in the garage waiting... Lane is now 77 and I am also in my 70's but we would still like to get out in the woods and do a little camping before his health gets worse. Life isn't over yet. Thanks for reading this. Lane and Nancy

I contacted Lane and Nancy and promised to reach out to folks in an attempt to get their project finished. They have money for the needed work and are willing to trailer the van to your shop.

Additional information, including pictures, can be found in a pdf document that I can forward to you upon request.
If you know of an interested party in Oregon please reach out to the Weinbergs at the following email address:

[email protected]

Thanks very much,
Brent Weide
Portland, Oregon
http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Vanagon Conversion/Restoration Assistance Salem, OR Reply with quote

dam, that sucks Crying or Very sad

not sure who is out that way, but Jeff at autoventures may be able to help? i'm just too far being on the east coast

https://autoventuresllc.net/

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Vanagon Conversion/Restoration Assistance Salem, OR Reply with quote

Theyre not in Salem but if someone can get the van to Crooked Finger in Bend I'm sure they could handle finishing it
I think there were a couple shops in Eugene as well

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Vanagon Conversion/Restoration Assistance Salem, OR Reply with quote

Autoadventures is located in Wisconsin... right???

I would look at shops in Portland, since its not very far from Salem. Im not aware of any conversion shops in Eugene. I dont think noname in Eugene does conversions.

A quick google search turned up these sites.

https://www.precisionmotorcar.com/
https://www.vanaru.com/contact

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6526554

Last edited by skemems on Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Vanagon Conversion/Restoration Assistance Salem, OR Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
dam, that sucks Crying or Very sad

not sure who is out that way, but Jeff at autoventures may be able to help? i'm just too far being on the east coast

https://autoventuresllc.net/

That does truly suck, but hats off for still wanting to complete and enjoy the rig.

Jeff is located here in Wisconsin, a loong way from Oregon. A quick google search got me this. I know nothing about their reputation.

Precision Motor Car, Portland, OR

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Vanagon Conversion/Restoration Assistance Salem, OR Reply with quote

Precision motorcar is good.

They don’t really like the older OBD1 Subaru conversions- so not sure if they’ll be the best fit because I don’t know how old the 2.2 in question is.

If not, I know they’re booking up for a bit already? But El at stargazer garage (same neighborhood, also Portland) might be a good fit.

Worth a call anyway!
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Vanagon Conversion/Restoration Assistance Salem, OR Reply with quote

Precision is partners with Vanaru and I'm sending them my rig soon.
By now they have 10-12 Vanaru installs under their belt and my kit + Impreza engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Vanagon Conversion/Restoration Assistance Salem, OR Reply with quote

Someone just lend them a van.... a newly swapped van is going to have kinks to workout unfortunately. I live in socal or I would.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Vanagon Conversion/Restoration Assistance Salem, OR Reply with quote

WestyWanter wrote:
Someone just lend them a van.... a newly swapped van is going to have kinks to workout unfortunately. I live in socal or I would.

^^^ Unfortunately, this is probably the most logical answer if they’re just looking to get out for a few weekends. Or if they have the money, buy a finished van. At best, this is a year-long project by the time a shop has available time, the conversion is done, and all the other odds and ends that will inevitably need to be done get worked out. Any reputable conversion shop is going to have a wait list, and it doesn’t really sound like they have time to waste.
Good on them for trying to get some living in. It’s a sad story, but I guess we’ll all get there sooner or later. Hopefully they can find something that makes sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Vanagon Conversion/Restoration Assistance Salem, OR Reply with quote

These folks may be an option as well: https://www.keeptruckingpdx.com/?fbclid=IwAR1M7Erd...Nl47oNh38M

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: