Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker)
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwillis6966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

I just posted this in the CUSTOM tire/wheel forum before realizing it said CUSTOM.. this is more a factory size so I am copy and pasting my original post here below.

So first off, this is my very first post on the Samba but I've been lurking here for a few months. I don't post on any of the forums I read because usually a search is sufficient, but this topic is a little more specific and I also wanted to see if any of you have had a similar experience.

I bought our first VW a few months back as a birthday gift to my wife. It is a project but a running and driving car. It had sat for a very long time so the tires were shot. So, during a VW show in OK a few months ago she picked out what set and size she wanted. She REALLY liked a set of Coker Classic 165r15 2.25" whitewalls. I ended up getting them and surprised her with them as a Christmas gift.

So today I get them mounted... they look awful.. the whitewalls are off center from the tire and show black around the rim bead but not consistently.. its some over here, alot over there, none other there, just looks bad. The outside of the whitewall isn't consistent either and looks really bad as well... needless to say I am very disappointed. Not just because of the price tag on these things, but especially since it is for my wife.

I bought them through Summit (part number 568745) and they were really nice about it on the phone and we are set up to get them shipped back and refunded ( except the mount and balance fee I just paid). I have photos of the tires we liked at the VW show and they didn't have this issue but they were pretty old. This has to be an issue of the company of today and not of yesteryear. No way they would still be in business and keep a reputation selling tires like this.

So.. what says The Samba? What are my options other then Coker? I would like to stay with a 165r15 2.25" whitewall because we really like the look. They just look right on a '63 ragtop.
bwillis6966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

Photos don't show its severity as well as in person. When I got to the tire shop I saw the issue from across the parking lot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

Are you looking for bias ply? Lucas Classic Tires out of Long Beach, California has a huge selection of tires. Bias plys, radials, you name it. I've used several Firestone wide whites from Lucas without issue.

https://www.lucasclassictires.com/main.sc
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

wow, those are terrible. you can look into diamond back, but they are pricy.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwillis6966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

Got some Diamond Back Auburn Deluxe Radials on the way. I got these Cokers dismounted and ready for the ride back to wherever they came from. These were my FIRST set of Cokers, and they will be my LAST!

If you're on the fence about Diamond Backs and you're thinking of waiting a bit, they have a decent price increase coming mid January so you may wanna get on these things. The last time i heard that story was when i was getting quotes on a 4 post lift. I thought they were just giving me the ol sales trick but nope.. I waited a week too long..

The Diamond Backs are a month out but if anyone would like me to, I will update this thread when they come in.
jayeldee1st
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

Yes, please update. I'm interested. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

I always buy Firestone 5.60 x 15 wide whites.

They are bias ply tires, but ask around, they drive fine and the car was designed for them. My car is an original '62 stale air 6 volt 40 horse, so I'm never going anywhere in a hurry. I like the pie crust around the perimeter and they are tall so they fill out the front wheelwells.

I pick them up at Lucas Tire in Long Beach, Ca.

'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

bwillis6966 wrote:
Got some Diamond Back Auburn Deluxe Radials on the way. I got these Cokers dismounted and ready for the ride back to wherever they came from. These were my FIRST set of Cokers, and they will be my LAST!

If you're on the fence about Diamond Backs and you're thinking of waiting a bit, they have a decent price increase coming mid January so you may wanna get on these things. The last time i heard that story was when i was getting quotes on a 4 post lift. I thought they were just giving me the ol sales trick but nope.. I waited a week too long..

The Diamond Backs are a month out but if anyone would like me to, I will update this thread when they come in.

No need to update imo.....

Diamond Back is by far the highest quality WW you will find. And since they are the ones adding the white wall on a modern tire, you can choose just about any width/position you can dream up. They also do red, yellow, and blue. While they have companies they work with, you can also send them a new tire you have already purchased, and they can add a WW to it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Diamond Back is by far the highest quality WW you will find. And since they are the ones adding the white wall on a modern tire, you can choose just about any width/position you can dream up. They also do red, yellow, and blue. While they have companies they work with, you can also send them a new tire you have already purchased, and they can add a WW to it.

Do you have diamond backs?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Do you have diamond backs?

I run black walls on my vehicles, so no, I don’t personally have a set. I have ordered a couple dozen sets for customers vehicles. I also know at least two individuals that replaced sets they had on a vehicle for 10 years that looked like the day they bought them when removed.
Daily Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

I'd still love an update w/pics. This is super helpful - after doing some searches I was planning on doing Coker WW but some of the posts were quite old. Thanks for a current status (and your dedication to getting a quality product rather than just saying "Oh, well")
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

yep, current 1st hand experience would be nice. Thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
yep, current 1st hand experience would be nice. Thanks

What are you wanting to know?

The main differences I’ve come across were that DB uses modern production tires that have stricter quality control. I’ve talked with those, and have personally removed a set of Coker’s that had different circumferences on a set purchased together.

Coker’s WW’s yellow very quickly, and will have the black of the tire bleed into the white. DB’s stay white. DB uses an insert that’s almost an 1/8 of an inch thick. We had a customer scuff a brand new DB tire, and we actually wet sanded the damage out back to a smooth white section.

There is a car in the shop with DB tires. They still have the blue safety coating over the white since the customer may ultimately decide to go to a different size, but I could take some pics if interested?
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

DB can also do custom engraving/stamping. I just bought this set off a local guy that never mounted them.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
DB can also do custom engraving/stamping. I just bought this set off a local guy that never mounted them.

Is that a crack just below the whitewall?? Looks bad.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
theastronaut wrote:

It’s whats left of the blue ww protective coating peeling.
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:

Unfortunately you are a correct. That is a deep, terrible looking crack that goes all the way through the blue protective layer. That section of black rubber is no longer being protected from stains. I'll have to leave them a bad review on Yelp and file a complaint with the BBB. Laughing

To be 100% clear and fair, the instructions say to not leave the tires wrapped once they arrive. The guy I got them from left them wrapped while they were stored in his garage for a few years. I paid about 1/3 of what Coker whitewalls cost so I can't complain. The blue coating is still doing it's job over the whitewall.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
bwillis6966 wrote:

Are you sure about this? I wonder if something has changed? I spoke with them about two years ago about doing this and was told absolutely not...that I had to purchase their tires. The person I spoke with was actually a little irritated that I even asked. I don't like Nexen tires so I had to go elsewhere. I hope your info is correct because I don't like my current tires and want to go with something else in the spring. Time to make a call
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Whitewall Recommendations (other then Coker) Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
While they have companies they work with, you can also send them a new tire you have already purchased, and they can add a WW to it.

Are you sure about this? I wonder if something has changed? I spoke with them about two years ago about doing this and was told absolutely not...that I had to purchase their tires. The person I spoke with was actually a little irritated that I even asked. I don't like Nexen tires so I had to go elsewhere. I hope your info is correct because I don't like my current tires and want to go with something else in the spring. Time to make a call

I asked about sending them a drag radial within the last year or so to get something custom to match a set of front tires, and they said they could do it. I never got into price quotes, but I would imagine there may be a little different rate to modify a tire not purchased through them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: