Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

Just came across this which has plenty of points previous posts have mentioned.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Note the comment about from opening ones being less efficient. This means mechanical fridges will consume more energy.

Duncan
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

I'm impressed how complicated simple has become. Wink

Kinda glad my Truckfridge and 150Ah LiFePO4 and 100w Solar system is all done, I might have been inclined to "simplify".
Solar was costly and a bit of work/fun, but I added all that stuff back when it was essential (way back in Lead battery times) so it's now 'legacy'.Wink
I do enjoy gathering Solar energy though, for some strange reason.

Altering "solar" a little to keep the start battery topped up, would add more value.
I wonder if there's a simple add-on for that. 100 watts is only 7 amps.

One thing that is kinda simpler, is the option of just leaving the refrigerator on full-time when parked at my house.
It gets enough sun where I park to run continuously in the summer .
Then I don't have to empty the fridge.

But if I forget Wink ------- that the refrigerator is running...
and we had a 4or 5 days of "no sun" the battery would run down.
This is a real possibility.

But there are forecasts, when I'm certain the truckfridge can run from one weekend into the next outing.

I added more sophisticated thermostat that controls the truckfridge.
I haven't confirmed if it saves the battery power but it should as it definitely runs less often at night.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

OOPs
I invariably omitted mentioning
the Importance of Cubed Ice when Camping.

A bag of cubed ice from the home freezer
is reserved for evening beverages.

pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

I dissagree about the Stanley cooler being 'too tall' for a seat.

The Stanley cooler makes for a great seat inside or out,
and also doubles as a convenient step up to the poptop area.

I choose it because of the small footprint,
fits perfectly behind pass seat. doesn't intrude
on the way to the front seats.

Never had an issue with drain plug leaking.
It is positioned perfectly for the sliding door.

My complaint with the Stanley is about
the clousures. The Snaps could be easier
to close and open.

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:

Yes, I can relate to this! In fact, I’m going to have a Hendricks now.
My method here may be a bit unconventional-but I fill 1 or 2 Hyodro-Flask 1-Qt containers with ice. One goes in the electric fridge, the other is wrapped in a wool blanket. I have Gin & Tonic ice for days.

I do like the foot print of that cooler-but I have my ARB fridge, running on a 10 year old(!) former starter battery-no solar and have gone days with it.
Total cost: Zero, unless we count the new starter battery I bought.

This year is the DC-DC charger, Victron, bought used (but un-used) locally for $100. Hooking that up to my lithium battery under the seat.

I have Renology Suitcase panel (also bought used for $100) if I’m going to stay someplace for 4 days w/o moving. Or I can just switch to ice if I run the battery down. It’s going to be a pretty simple set-up.

Right now running stock Weekender set-up, added a Blue Seas fuse box and a power port with 2 USB’s on the seat side.

I do have a 100W Renology panel and MPPT panel. Not sure if I’ll use them on the van. If I do a cross country trip, I might mount that in the luggage carrier, but removable to put in sun. But I don’t think I’ll have the time to sit someplace for 4 days.

The fridge is great in that my wife’s home grown veggies are kept in great shape. The cooler tends to be too cold and ruins them.

Anyways-time for a G&T! Enjoy whatever path you take.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

If any of my cooler friends camp with me, my portable dometic fridge features an 'freeze plate' where I can make y'all some ice if you are low.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

4 pages of four AM musings on iceboxes/fridges and the like. Who wooda thunkit?

My closing shot here is for guys like Dave and me for whom camping is an accessional thing, a kilabuck and a half for mechanical refrigeration is something we could better put into a new throttle body and CV joints and a new power steering rack and SS coolant pipes.

Over and out.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:

to close and open.

EXACTLY!!

I haven't ordered yet.
I have found that I keep coming back to it because of its physical size.

The big boys, YETI, RTIC, etc focus on giant boxes no human can lift alone or tiny little picnic coolers.

Stanley seems to be the only one with this type of a foot print.

I love my Truckfridge Chest unit, but it is simply too big for me. It is just my Wife and I traveling everyday or staying at friends/family in between travel days. Our travel is leisurely, no mad dashes on the Interstate but we aren't hanging out on BLM land for a week.
I will use my Dometic for daily snacks/drinks

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

Dave--Agree the Stanly has a nice small footprint. Also appears to have adequate thickness of insulation. More is better, but it looks OK. Of course with my Compulsive Modification Disorder, I would have to change the side handles which stick out and could interfere with storing properly. Maybe:
Another choice which looks good is: https://www.amazon.com/RTIC-20-Tan/dp/B01M1CXGLH?r...a0b2870245 A bit more money, but more volume and 3" of insulation along with no sticky-outty side handles.

But now in looking more closely, it has pretty deep indents for the swing up handle and I wonder if the 3" foam they brag about is only at the corners where there is no indent. And it has a bigger footprint. But does come in white which is a better color for heat reflection and longer ice retention. One oddity is it talks about rope handles for picking it up. It doesn't have rope handles.... In retrospect, go with the Stanley and change the handles and paint it white.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

My truckfridge chest had big handles like that.

I din't put them on and used seat belt webbing to make soft fold down flat handles.

This change decreased the vertical "footprint" by inches!

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
pdm777 wrote:

to close and open.

EXACTLY!!

I haven't ordered yet.
I have found that I keep coming back to it because of its physical size.

The big boys, YETI, RTIC, etc focus on giant boxes no human can lift alone or tiny little picnic coolers.

Stanley seems to be the only one with this type of a foot print.

I love my Truckfridge Chest unit, but it is simply too big for me. It is just my Wife and I traveling everyday or staying at friends/family in between travel days. Our travel is leisurely, no mad dashes on the Interstate but we aren't hanging out on BLM land for a week.
I will use my Dometic for daily snacks/drinks

Well well well .......
It took awhile but every time I go into my local ACE hardware, I am greeted by a pile of these Stanley 30 qt coolers in both Green and White.
They are on sale for $119.00.
I was there today for a few things and decided "Oh what the heck?!?" And threw it in the cart.
I got a White one, it just makes sense to me to lessen the solar gain.

On the way to the check out I grabbed an ice cream cone. The cashier teased me about the impulse buy (meaning the ice cream) but I corrected her and said it was actually the Stanley cooler.

I have a big Igloo Cube which I'll put on the local freebies site. It was just too big and heavy for me when filled.

Hopefully this is my low tech cooling needs answer.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

Summer is back!

At 10 am I filled the Stanley with 20 lbs of cubed ice. (No pre cooling, it was at room temperature.

I put in a wine bottle before the ice just to see……. It stands upright and the lid latches.

The cooler now sits in the Sun waiting for the ice to melt.

I'm glad I chose the white unit, even the light grey top on the white one is almost untouchably hot!
I cannot imagine how much solar heat the forest green one sucks up.

Let's see how long this 20 lbs of ice lasts........

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

Well, their claim of holds ice for FOUR days is truth.

20 lbs of ice to start.

96 hours later it was reduced to but a large handful of ice.

I drained off the water at least once a day
I opened it 4-6 times a day
It sat in the Sun all day, two days in the mid to upper 80's One day overcast but in the 80's and finally a Sunny 80 degree day.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

I'm no techy but I can appreciate modern electrical upgrades.
I figure Vanagons are complicated enough without them.

So, I opt for the blue and white Coleman chest as in pics above.
One block and one bag of ice lasts about 3 days and can be replenished at gas stops. Ice cubes are needed for cocktails, block ice lasts longer.
Riding behind the passenger seat, it can be accessed from the driver's seat, and when parked, meltwater from the drain can be used for quick washups.
The top covers of these coolers are not insulated. But by filling the void with spray foam insulation, efficiency can be significantly increased.
(One of these days I may do this...)

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

i drank the Flavor-Aid and went down the LiFePo4 and 12VDC fridge path in my Westy. the system is based around the Renogy DCC50S DC to DC with MPPT charger to keep a 150aH battery topped off.

on the EPIC New England adventure last month the system would not charge from the alternator. it was later diagnosed as an issue with the voltage regulator on the alternator.

i do not have a solar panel and the battery was depleted on day 3. i picked up a cooler from Walmart to get us thru the rest of the trip.

the lesson learned is if you have a DC to DC with MPPT charger, you should also have a solar panel. i would not have needed to spend the $40 on a cooler in New Hampshire had i simply invested $60 more into a solar panel. it wasn't the end of the world and we managed.

i was not sold on 12V fridge when i first got the Westy, but the convenience is very nice. last weekend i went for a last minute day trip cycling along a canal and it was nice to be able to turn the fridge on, load it up with lunch and lots of cold water. no need to get the cooler from the basement, no need to stop and get ice, i could just hit a button, load up the fridge and enjoy the trip.

with the cooler i felt we had to limit our food options to things that could get wet in a cooler full of ice and water. i bought a three pack of plastic food storage containers to ease some of that anxiety and it did a good job, but i could not do that for all the food. i wanted to avoid having meat touch the water at all costs, and that limited our food options. with the fridge i don't think about it, i open the door, toss in the food and drinks and enjoy the adventure.

on a cost basis, since i'm an engineer and like to run the numbers...

$550 - fridge
$250 - DCC50S charger
$550 - 150aH LiFePo4
$1350 total cost (wires and connectors included in the rounded figures)

with a $325 45L Yeti and $100 of ice per year (one weekend per month of camping and one day trip per month ) it would take 10 YEARS to equal the cost of the battery system and fridge.

but i won't have soggy bread or gross meat juice water. i can have frozen treats like Klondike bars, on day 3 at camp. plus the battery system powers the internal lighting and the bumpin sound system.

it's 4:20 somewhere.

BiWerks Design, LLC
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
20 lbs of ice to start.

Just noticed shrinkflation occurring with ice Confused : 20 lbs. bag of air-infused cubes is now 16 lbs. and costs $3.50 at my local Kroger store. A 10 lbs. bag is now 7 lbs. for $1.99.

Block ice is difficult to come by out here in the West, and has been for a number of years, for some dumb reason.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Block ice is difficult to come by out here in the West, and has been for a number of years, for some dumb reason.

A Block is preferred along with a 5# bag of cubes. Block is $2.00 and a 5#er is $1.64 from Walmart. I tend to buy extra of both and put in the deep freeze at home.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:

A Block is preferred along with a 5# bag of cubes. Block is $2.00 and a 5#er is $1.64 from Walmart. I tend to buy extra of both and put in the deep freeze at home.

I began trips with two large frozen water bottles plus cubes back when I used a cooler. But replacing those bottles with blocks while on the road was impossible as practically no place in the SW carries blocks.

I've been using a fridge for nearly 10 years and haven't looked back. Ice is still bought for drinking ice cold beverages while driving during hot days... at camp, for me, ice is not needed.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

We still use frozen water bottles to fill out the electric fridge if we have room.
Reduces the electric load for a couple days.

Your complaint about finding block ice is answered with the math on air entrained cube ice. Why sell block ice which lasts longer and uses more water when you can sell the tourists frozen air?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 4:20 Ramblings About Batteries, Solar, and keeping it Simple. Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Your complaint about finding block ice is answered with the math on air entrained cube ice. Why sell block ice which lasts longer and uses more water when you can sell the tourists frozen air?

Absolutely. That air ice doesn't last long here in the desert. That $3.50 bag of cubes would be nearly half melted by the time I got to my van, cut the bag open, and dumped it into the cooler on these 110° days. Two 20 lbs. bags of ice lasting 3 full summer days in my old Coleman or Igloo would be nothing short of a miracle.

Given our water situation here in the SW, another reason to use a fridge for long-term travels.💧
2016 Golf GTI S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: