Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long time since last visit
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Long time since last visit Reply with quote

December 2020, I bought my 74 type 4 estate wagon from photos and video of engine running.
Found out after I got it home it has engine more problems, so now motor is out for overhaul, think it will be done by end of janurary.
I've spent lot of time finding parts, now have a lot of the little tbings like carpet kit, door panels, foam and vinyl, rear carpet etc etc.
It's been a hard go so far, but I think I will get it on the road in 2022.
I have bought cars drivable and ready to enjoy, and bought all there cars and made them drivable and ready to enjoy.
After doing this for 50 years, I still have not decided which is best.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time since last visit Reply with quote

Good to see you back at it! If this 412 has as little rust as you say it will make things much easier. Yeah, getting parts for these cars is pretty rough sometimes. It’s hard and time consuming to do it right if you want factory. BUT, so rewarding when it all finally comes together. I find it really frustrating in the winter months with the cold to find the motivation to go out in the garage without really proper heating. The project slows way down. You’ve got a nice solid looking wagon.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Long time since last visit Reply with quote

It takes time. A buddy stopped by to visit and happen to mention he saw my mechanic and my 412 on the road.
It was for a shake down, run to see what else needed before he got it back to me.
I bought it 3 years ago, and it's been in the shop for a while, after the mechanics all done, the fun starts, all inside will have to be replaced.
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Long time since last visit Reply with quote

Nice wagon! The 74's are so unique, among the most unique of all A/C VW's.

Looks like yours has the dealer air conditioning too.

Post some more pics!
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time since last visit Reply with quote

Look out boys, my mechanic said I might get the estate wagon back to me this week. Next week for sure.
I'll be burning up the roads
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time since last visit Reply with quote

We’ve been waiting. Make sure you give us some photos. This is exciting!

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time since last visit Reply with quote

I started about 3 years ago, bought it, had it delivered, then had mechanic pick it up at my home. Got a call this morning. I picked it up and went with a no license plate back road drive. ( I do have it insured ). It was the first time I had ever been in a 74 vw estate type 4, I was very surprised and happy with the ride.
Seats come out this week and off to shop.
I'm replacing a rust spot in floorboard, then new padding and carpet.
Radio with 8 track comes out and off to have it rebuilt
I'm real happy with way motor runs and performance
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time since last visit Reply with quote

That is great news! When these engines run correctly they really feel precise and effortless.

Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: