Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission Swap 71’
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
quantam2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Transmission Swap 71’ Reply with quote

Hey folks.. just picked up a 71’ that I’m sending off for restoration.

Starting to pull together parts and trying to nail down transmission/axle pieces.

What parts do I need to swap over to standard swing axle? Likely going with a rancho freeway flyer, lowering spring plates, 3-4 inch drop and csp disc brake conversion.

Thanks
Eric-
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Swap 71’ Reply with quote

quantam2 wrote:
Hey folks.. just picked up a 71’ that I’m sending off for restoration.

Starting to pull together parts and trying to nail down transmission/axle pieces.

What parts do I need to swap over to standard swing axle? Likely going with a rancho freeway flyer, lowering spring plates, 3-4 inch drop and csp disc brake conversion.

Thanks
Eric-

I think you should keep your Gear Reduction Boxes, It is how the car was designed and they are becoming increasingly rare... Rancho rebuild my original transimision and I did the rest, Here is a video of when I did it.

I have a '72 so we have the same set up. On my rebuild engine, still with the original single intake and the PIC 30-1 carb I have no problem cruising at 65/70 which is the "Envelope" top speed when it left the Factory (110 Km/h as per VW original Owner's Manual) I find not one good reason to need more speed on these "Things" Pun intended.

Most people here have 73's. and 74's so their transmission and suspension set up is completely different than ours. Let me know if you have any questions.

Link
[/url]
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Swap 71’ Reply with quote

Hi
Swap without problems.
But the suspension stop will not be aligned with the chassis stop.
If you want to keep the Z bar you will have to mix the parts with some from bug Cool
quantam2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Swap 71’ Reply with quote

Yeah going to keep gear reduction boxes or sell them here on the samba.

My plans are to convert the thing to electric so the gear reduction boxes have to go. Looking at pro street swing axle from rancho which should bolt up. Someone said I could use long axle/tubes from type 3?

Any help on pulling together a list of parts to make this conversion is appreciated. If it’s easier just to switch to IRS I can go that way as well.

Eric-
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Swap 71’ Reply with quote

Are you planning on lowering the vehicle?

Removing the gear reduction boxes will lower the rear end approximately 3”, this cannot be compensated for with a regular swing axle transmission… without severe positive camber.

The only way to retain stock height would be to convert to IRS.

If you’re okay with lowering it, you can install a stock Beetle front beam (or just the trailing arms & spindles) to get the front to match.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: