Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

Here in the Northeast we had a snow storm.
Very isolated, very intense.

A semi jack knifed on I95 and created a traffic snarl as other vehickes lost control and you ended up with a mess of stuck vehicles.

With a snowfall rate of 1-2" per hour conditions went from bad to worse i a hurry.

Yes, we can all finger point at the cause and emergency response and whatever but what struck me us the whiney people interviewed........ stupid crap like "why didn't "they" bring us food and water?" "I never saw a policeman" (keep in mibd thus was 50 miles of stuck vehicles)

Maybe I'm just old but I was taught to never travel in winter without a blanket, food and water in the vehicle.
You know, personal basic survival and responsibility.

Does no one do this anymore? You never know when things are going to go sideways.
Does no one know how to stay alive in the most basic way?

Anyway, make a winter travel kit people. Don't expect some "agency¿ to rescue you when you are cold and hungry.

Oh, and NEVER travel anywhere in Winter with a low fuel level. 1/4 tank? Fill up now. Better traction and no worry about running out on the freeway parked for 27 hours! (Clear the tail pipe too)

My rule is if it is snowing NEVER TAKE THE FREEWAY! It is chock full of dumb people.

Rant over.........

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

Where was the pile up? I95 is a long road.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

I remember when 287 in nj, was snowed in with cars stuck everywhere. When the snow melted, there’s was bottles of pee all over the road.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geristauffer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

Pee bottle added to the list Twisted Evil Thanks NJ John, would not have thought of that one...

It's that time of year again. Shovel, ice melt, blanket, small cooler with water and cereal bars already in the trunk. Honestly, around here we have more issues with flooding causing the traffic jams. I always fill up after a heavy rain, but it makes sense for snow as well.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Where was the pile up? I95 is a long road.

Virginia, outside of DC

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

you expect to much from society nowadays Laughing
This is a commom occurance on the snow chi minh trail thru WYO
There is actually a book written about why not to route I 80 that way, even the railroad abondoned it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41564379-snow-chi-minh-trail
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

One really important thing is that if it is super slick, and you slide off or wreck, get out of your car, and get far away from anywhere that someone can wreck into you. The same slick conditions that you experienced will slide a car right into you or your car and kill you. Of course if you are traveling in the winter, you should be dressed for the weather, and be able to hike up a hillside and hang out for hours and watch while cars are sliding into your wrecked car.

In my area, a guy was killed last week when he got out of his car and was standing on the shoulder after sliding off the road. A car slid into him, slid off the road and rolled.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

And you all make fun of California....
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
And you all make fun of California....

You'restuck for 27 hours on the 5-way up to Frisco....Ill bet you havent cleared the Y yet.

Ill take LA drivers over the East anytime, much more "we are all in this together, just chill" vs "death race 287...if someone beats me to the GW line Im a loser"
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

I just saw that I95 jam on the news. Some woman called Schmidt Bakery because there was a bread truck stuck in the jam. A bunch of people got free bread.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

geristauffer wrote:
Pee bottle added to the list Twisted Evil Thanks NJ John, would not have thought of that one...

It's that time of year again. Shovel, ice melt, blanket, small cooler with water and cereal bars already in the trunk. Honestly, around here we have more issues with flooding causing the traffic jams. I always fill up after a heavy rain, but it makes sense for snow as well.

Three million truck drivers cannot be wrong and the bottle of choice is Gatorade 😀 wide mouth. Unless the user is a Needle Dick Ned. Now get the original flavor and it’s the same color as piss so nobody is the wiser.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

We also were taught to bring a candle and matches in a coffee can. It can provide some real decent heat in an enclosed area.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

Snow pile ups, fires, winds, earthquakes, drought, floods, etc., etc.

Makes me want to move out west.

On second thought, I'll keep the 99% humidity in the summer. Speak to the hand
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!

Last edited by bigdog1962 on Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips djkeev

Maybe this is an Arizona/desert thing but if it's summer always have a gallon of water with you on any sort of long trip.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
We also were taught to bring a candle and matches in a coffee can. It can provide some real decent heat in an enclosed area.

Boy Scout tip: If you can't get waterproof matches, dip the tips in wax so they will still strike well.

At a minimum, always carry a backpack with water, space blanket, granola bars, flashlight, gloves and hat, and have good walking shoes in the car. If you leave your car, leave a note and include your contact info and where you are headed.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

My husband got stuck in the big snow a few years ago traveling I-5 back to Oregon from California in his pickup. They sat for almost 48 hours before plows could reach where they were and get things moving again. Years of being associated with my "always be prepared" mountain climbing/skiing/sailing in winter carry all survival gear family had rubbed off on him enough that he was actually well prepared. He said a couple more book options would've been nice, and a more expansive choice of snacks perhaps, but all in all, he was way better off than many vehicles around him.

When we were dating he used to give me a hard time for the amount of stuff I carried in my car, as I came from the "hang on to your car and keep it going forever" family, and his family was in the car biz (so never kept much in the car as they were always getting new ones). But as a kid I remember seeing families up in Government Camp in the winter wearing light jackets, in their Keds tennies and bald tires on their cars, always being towed out by Joie Smith, mountain legend, who had no sympathy for the unprepared flatlanders who arrived every year without a clue. I think Mt. Hood's proximity to Portland lulled people into not realizing that they were in a region where the unprepared do die more often than not. I still carry it all with me, and so do my kids, continuing the tradition of "don't be stupid in the winter".

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Boy Scout tip: If you can't get waterproof matches, dip the tips in wax so they will still strike well.

Or paint them with nail polish.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

I had a CCW for years and always carried. When we travel or go on vacation, I always pack a couple weapons. So, to round out any emergency kit, add a Beretta to the list and a box of 9mm. Never know what or who is going to stop by. You don’t need any trouble that you cannot solve.

Case in point. A few decades back, and before my CCW, probably 20 now that I stopped and thought about it. My little sister and boyfriend broke down on their way home from the beach. It was on the 57 freeway right before Brea Canyon road heading North on the 57. There is nothing there, just hills and more hills. To the north, a 5 mile hike is Diamond Bar and to the South, 5 miles, is Brea. The two of them hoofed it to Diamond Bar and used a pay phone to call the house. (Remember those days!) it was a “collect call”. I gladly excepted the call and they told me where they were and where the car was.

I packed up the tools I thought I could use, based off of the conversation and grabbed my Beretta. Put it in the tool box and stuck the magazine in my glove box. Tool box went into the bed of the truck. Legal to carry that way without a CCW! Meet them at the gas station the pay phone was in. They jumped into the truck and headed to the car. When we arrived, I noticed that the shoulder was all dirt and that it was a good 40 wide. They had pulled ALL THE WAY over to the right hand side of it.

So, I have the hood up, looking around for issues. The brother in law is right there with me. As we are looking, I hear a rattle noise. A really quick one, maybe a second or 2. A few minutes later another one of those rattles. I stop looking at the car and point the flashlight into the brush, to my right side. It stopped and went silent. It was then, I pulled out the Beretta, loaded the clip and chambered one. Left the gun hot with a round in the chamber, but set the hammer in the relaxed position. I then stuck it in my pants and waited to my back to the car. Me and the BIL stood there waiting in the black darkness.

30 seconds or 10 minutes seemed to take a few hours to go by. I pulled the gun a few times due to a creak there, then over here. And it happened right then! I let my guard down enough to look back at the car, gun still in hand. The noise! With the flash light in my left hand, I start searching in the direction of the rattle, it goes off again, down by my feet! I quickly move the light there and the gun. My BIL jumps to my left, really quick! In the light, there is a 4 foot rattle snake, coiled up! To say I moved quickly is an understatement! I jumped to the side, pulled the hammer back, and sighted up the snake. It was still cooled, licking the air. I ask the BIL if he was good, he was. I then had him gather a few handful of rocks and he started to throw them at the snake. Fortunately for the snake, he slithered off, never to return. I relaxed the hammer and tended to the car.

I found that the points were shot. Filed them flat. Set them and the car started right up.

So, the moral is to carry a weapon. You may never use it, but it sure feels really nice to know you can protect yourself as opposed to just running off in fear!

That’s my 2 cents.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Thanks for the tips djkeev

Maybe this is an Arizona/desert thing but if it's summer always have a gallon of water with you on any sort of long trip.

Absolutely; water is important, and especially in Arizona !!! Once it took me 6.5 hours to get back from Flagstaff. I-17 is same 2 lanes each way as it was 50 years ago, despite large increase in population and 2nd homes up north as folks try to escape the heat. Recommendations are to avoid I-17 north on a Friday afternoon, and avoid I-17 south on a Sunday afternoon or Monday holiday.

Once there was a fatality going south near New River exit (and I was just shy of that), several hour summer backup. Many got out of their vehicles, and since it was summer I shared water I had with others.

Big state, few alternate routes, and police love to close highways for extended times.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in snow on I-95 for 27 hours Reply with quote

The cell phone and AAA card is a start for the young ones for winter travel.
My truck has enough stuff to last at least 36 hrs stranded.
If you travel with animals make sure you can eat the animal.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: