Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blocking Air from Engine to heating system
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoFloScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was advised by a VW enthusiast here to block the ports which feed air from the engine through the heating system. I've seen a few posts on the subject here and think this is ok but wanted to double check just so I don't damage my engine.

So I have nothing under the engine for the heating system' no jtube
s, heat exchanges...nothing. Am I ok to block these ports with the understanding it will increase the cooling action on the engine? I live in Florida so cooling is a big deal!

Also, given there is no heating system, should I block the holes int he bottom of the tinware that allows for those connections?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks,

Scott
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

You certainly don't want to leave them open.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoFloScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

All sets? The holes in the bottom of the tin AND the holes from the engine pushign the air through?

Is there anything specific I should use to block them? Ie blanking plates that fit?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

Anything from duct tape to welding patches over them.

Old style baby food jar lids fit great on the fan shroud. Hardware stores sell or sizes of rubber and metal plugs.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

Step 1: Drink beer.
Step 2: Cut apart beer can.
Step 3: Clamp can ends to shroud.
Step 4: Rivet flattened can sides to rear tin.
Step 5: Have another beer to celebrate job well done.
SoFloScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I'm not usually very handy but I think I can get behind this project! Off to the beer store...
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

while i am all for the beer drinking route, you could also buy a new fanshroud without those holes. Or don't and invest the money you just save in beer.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
you could also buy a new fanshroud without those holes.

If you're talking about an aftermarket 36hp shroud without fresh air... don't bother, they don't cool as well as the stock shroud.

If you're talking about a 73 Type 181 (aka Thing) shroud which is a factory dog house without fresh air... $$$$. You can also get a rear tin with no holes.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

Excellent example of a proper hot rod layout you got there Glenn!
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

You can buy brand new properly built shrouds without the ducts but definitely more costly than blocking off your existing ports. Options these days are better then they've ever been.
https://store.concept1.ca/Fan-Shroud-W-OHeat-W-Holes-COOLED.1.2-62217/
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

SoFloScott wrote:
Hi all,
So I have nothing under the engine for the heating system' no jtube
s, heat exchanges...nothing.

if you don't have heat exchangers then surely you have J tubes... what exhaust set-up is there? Confused

I understand that there can be heat issues when heat exchangers are removed and people fit plates to shield the cylinder head and keep the cooling air flowing out the back of the tins rather than leaking sideways. see these:-
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401943
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=367242

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

I just looked at your gallery and you do in fact have heater boxes back in your November pictures so this should be a simple fix by keeping it stock and buying the pipes and connector clamps etc.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoFloScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Ok I clearly have no idea what I am talking about.

From photo below, can you please answert the following questions?

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

OK...

You do have heater boxes.

There are actually 4 heater boxes, one on exhaust pipe. The ones on #1 and #3 (the larger ones) and #2 and #4 (the small ones).

The fan shroud has a outlet on each side. From there a paper/foil hose runs through the larger holes in the engine tin to the small heater boxes on $2 and #4. From there they run to the larger heater boxes on #1 and #3 connected by a wide metal band clamp. From there they exit the front via a large plastic hose to the body of the vehicle.

In this diagram the bottom is your setup.

The hose #22 connects to the fan shroud outlet.
#27 is the wide band clamp that connects the small and large heater boxes.
#5 at the bottom is the large heater box.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

If you are still running heater boxes then I'd recommend to leave the hoses from fan shroud in place. By eliminating the hoses and having no airflow through the boxes you will cause higher exhaust temps leading to higher head temps. If you want to eliminate the hoses and plug the shroud outlets, then remove the boxes and install J pipes.
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

SoFloScott wrote:

Get heater tubes for the big holes and hook up that whole system.

The smaller holes are for the preheat for the air going into the air cleaner. Probably not super important in florida, so you can just block those off, although it would be better to make the whole system stock. Your tin piece is from a '67 beetle which has two preheat pickups. Buses only ever had one. So you need to block off one of those holes either way. The stock preheat doesn't work with your air cleaner. Either way, with or without the preheat, you should install a stock air cleaner.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
mandraks wrote:
you could also buy a new fanshroud without those holes.

If you're talking about an aftermarket 36hp shroud without fresh air... don't bother, they don't cool as well as the stock shroud.

If you're talking about a 73 Type 181 (aka Thing) shroud which is a factory dog house without fresh air... $$$$. You can also get a rear tin with no holes.

i was thinking of the thing shroud.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

Since you have heater boxes on your engine you should at least get hoses and connections #22 and #9 shown in Glenn’s post. You may need the clamps as well. These will help keep the heater boxes from getter too hot as mentioned above. The smaller holes should then be closed up.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

Here is the FAQ https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71827
It has lots of useful info. Smile

There is a thread on heating/cooling system in the VW. The cooling system is the heating system, and the heating system is the cooling system.
The cooling air is not cooling the engine if it is blowing out into the engine compartment. Sad That should be sorted out ASAP.
Read up here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434051
There are a few differences for a split bus... as in the bus muffler has one tailpipe rather than two for the beetle, and the air cleaner is slightly different, but basically it is the same system.

SoFloScott wrote:

Culito

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocking Air from Engine to heating system Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
You can buy brand new properly built shrouds without the ducts but definitely more costly than blocking off your existing ports. Options these days are better then they've ever been.
https://store.concept1.ca/Fan-Shroud-W-OHeat-W-Holes-COOLED.1.2-62217/

Any idea if the internal fins are different? I can take an old doghouse shroud, remove and block off the outlet pipes for much less than $400.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: