Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
froootlooops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

Anyone know which specific tail pipes make the fweem?

I have a 1500 SP with a NOS Ernst muffler and installed new stainless steel pea shooters from Wolfsburg West and I do not get any of the whistle.

I searched the forums and read that Brazilian tail pipes make these even when new. Can anyone link to the specific product that produces the sound?
klroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

I have the cheep muffler & the cheep tailpipes from CIP1 & I do get that sound when the engine is under a bit of a load. There is a spec for how far the tail pipes go into the muffler, But I think that's more for preheat operation, but it may effect the sound as well.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

part of the fweem has to do with how far in the tail pipes are installed.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

When my tips were new they did not make this sound. Once the inner metal liner (sleeve??) start to break/wear in it started to make the fween sound. Also make sure you don't have your idle to high.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

GOD SAVE THE FWEEM!
froootlooops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

Okay, I guess I will just try to get the cheap chrome tailpipes and hope for the best
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

I believe what toxicavenger70 said.

The inner metal baffles are wrapped in fiberglass or something of that nature.

In my experience when the pipes are new you only get a faint sound and as the pipes age and the fibers break down the fweem increases.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
GOD SAVE THE FWEEM!

I haven't laughed that hard since I was a little girl...

I remember reading somewhere you'd get 5 more hp if you inset your tweeters (fweemers?) a certain amount further back from factory. Anyone else remember hearing that?

72 Westy
60 Sedan
79 Vert
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

72alpinewhitebus wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
GOD SAVE THE FWEEM!

I haven't laughed that hard since I was a little girl...

I remember reading somewhere you'd get 5 more hp if you inset your tweeters (fweemers?) a certain amount further back from factory. Anyone else remember hearing that?

I laughed pretty good too! I want the bumper sticker! I'm thinking that I set my tail pipes at 1.5" or 1.75", and got FWEEM instantly.
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

I copied this from another thread. From Rob of Rob and Dave's VW Page.

Quote:
Rob responded - Do your tail pipes have the inner perforated pipe with stuffing behind the inner wall, or are they plain pipes?

The whistley part of the fweem comes mainly from the inner perforated pipe inside the peashooter tail pipes - it's smallish in diameter, which speeds up the speed of the exhaust gases - it's like blowing through a concertina tube which tends to make a whistling sound.

You should push the tailpipes all the way in and then pull them back out about 1/2-3/4 inch (12-19mm). That gets them right inside the muffler but not blocking the inner end against the inside of the muffler.

Another thing - is the muffler a quality South African or German/Danish muffler? I think some of the cheap stuff these days doesn't come with the internal piping of the original design, and that WOULD change the sound since the internal piping of the originals means all cylinders have equal length header pipes. The two rear cylinders should have headers INSIDE the muffler which cross over inside - this provides a large part of the "beat" of the fweem as it means the peashooter tail pipes get pulses of gases 'left left right right' instead of 'left right left right'.

Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

I have two cars that make this sound. On both of the I installed Leistritz muffler along with these: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2411418

Those pea shooters have the baffle in them.

When I drive next to wall I can hear the classic sound.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
I have two cars that make this sound. On both of the I installed Leistritz muffler along with these: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2411418

Those pea shooters have the baffle in them.

When I drive next to wall I can hear the classic sound.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need some new ones. So I will hit your site tonight. Laughing
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
I believe what toxicavenger70 said.

The inner metal baffles are wrapped in fiberglass or something of that nature.

In my experience when the pipes are new you only get a faint sound and as the pipes age and the fibers break down the fweem increases.

Oddly enough, my experience has always been the opposite. Every set of stock tailpipes I've run over the past thirty years started off with a fweem and progressively lost their characteristic chirp over the course of a few thousand miles. Think
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Every set of stock tailpipes I've run over the past thirty years started off with a fweem and progressively lost their characteristic chirp over the course of a few thousand miles. Think

Is it carbon deposits?

I know most the time I can't hear the sound unless I am driving on an onramp on the freeway or somewhere that echos it. That way the sound ricochet from the walls.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: which pea shooter tail pipes make the fweem sound? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Is it carbon deposits?

I don't believe so, they don't soot up much at all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: