Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex shut off problem
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

Hi
My car has a Propex HS2211
After pressing ignite button, It waits for air pressure check then it ignite and the flame start burning but it shutt off after couple of secs (5 sec).
After few trues it gives me error code with 4 blinks
I tried different gas pressure from 10-13 WC and also as their support team suggested I try to cover the inlet hose partially but nothing change the situation.

I would appreciate your help
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

Give Van Cafe a call for help. They are the US distributor.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

What does the 4-blink error code mean?
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

https://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/HS2000_issue_2.pdf

Quote:
Manual Overheat Cut-Out. The HS2000 incorporates an overheat cut-out which has to be
re-set manually. If the heater reaches an unusually high temperature during operation the
cut-out will disengage the gas solenoid valve, cutting off the gas supply to the burner and
causing the heater to be switched off by the electronic flame failure system. The
operation of this cut-out could be caused by either a restricted hot air outlet or air inlet, or
the heater being switched off by a battery isolating switch depriving it of its purge cycle.
To find the cut-out, remove the electronics cover on the heater and look for it positioned
above the PCB with 2 yellow/red stripped wires attached to it. Press the small red button
between the terminals, the fault code is 4 flashes

atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

note, the blinking may not mean the same thing on your model as the hs2000.

fwiw, the main issue i had with mine (hs2000) is shut off from low battery power. perhaps measure the voltage (maybe at the heater fuse) and see if it is above 10v. if it goes below 10v (including while in operation), that might be the problem. it is a different number of blinks tho. i was a bit disappointed w.r.t. the power consumption required - you need a good/big house battery to run for several days.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

I checked the battery. It is. 340 Ah battery wiring at 13v. So it should provide enough power.
I have reset it and check the air outlet and inlet. Nothing is restricting them. this model has a temp sensor at the exhaust that can be very sensitive but I do not know the reason.
Any suggestion would be appropriated
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

Step 1 for troubleshooting is to look up what the blink/flash code means in the manual for that model. The manual for the HS2211 is here:

https://propexheatsource.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/HS2211-underloor-installation.pdf

4 blinks:

Combustion air fault -
Check combustion air inlet flue and exhaust flue for blockages.

Did you shorten or extend the intake or exhaust hoses when you installed them? There are limits on length for both (not too short, not too long). This is outlined in the install guide.

Robyn
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

I have seen those guild lines and followed them. The hoses are in original length and I have not changed anything
Is there are way to bypass or inspect the exhaust sensor?
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

have you done the clear lockout sequence? sometimes the fault error will persist even though the cause is resolved.

Quote:
Gas lockouts must be cleared by turning the selector knob from gas on (flame) position to off position then back to
the on position. The complete sequence of switch movements must be completed within 2.5 seconds for a lockout
to be successfully cleared. If there is air in the gas line, e.g. after a gas bottle change, the space heater may require
several attempts before it lights. Lockouts can also be cleared by switching to the ‘fan only’ position and then back
to ‘on’ within this 2.5 second period.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

I think it is different from HS2000
There is not knob in the control board.
I think there is not a lockout clearing. You can reset the whole device by using a paper clip to hold the reset button in a specific order.
Please correct me if I am wrong for that.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

i guess you have the digital thermostat option? i'm not sure how you do it on that. the reset instruction i posted was from this doc
https://propexheatsource.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/HS2211-underloor-installation.pdf

no sure if karl still posts around here. he is a propex vendor. http://westyventures.com/
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

Quote:

no sure if karl still posts around here. he is a propex vendor. http://westyventures.com/

duh... as his site says, no more. and instead contact [email protected] instead

http://westyventures.com/propex.html
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

I tried to contact van cafe but because the propex was purchased from Canada they do not provide support for that which is unfortunate.
I would appreciate it if you can put me in touch with anyone that can help.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

[email protected]

you could try these guys then. I think they are the official support for western canada. they helped me in the past.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

I tried the [email protected] too
They do not respond fast. It takes them may be a month and usually do not tell that much.
They just repeat all the things that is written in the manual.
I have no idea what I can do now in this case.
There is not enough description or info about these complicated sensors set up they have. I regret it a lot for spending my money on this device.
I would appreciate and help.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

perhaps it was because i purchased my propex from them, but i found them to reply quite promptly (often in minutes) when i asked them for help last year.

if email is not working well, you could always try them on the phone. tel:2506169264

if you have gone through the steps and you are still under warranty, i would think the next thing might be asking them how you return it if it is a defective sensor.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

As I said I cannot return it because it already installed and it would be lots of work to remove it.
I tried calling they do not pick the phone and I have emailed them since last year they do not help and just refer to the manual.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

Please post clear photos of your installation, especially the routing of the pipes. In my years of Propex many times I spotted installation errors. The pipes should run horizontally with very little vertical distance before going horizontal. Also no tight bends.

The reset on the 2211 can also be performed with the push button reset next to the plug on the unit, AND depending on the production removing the power fuse and reinstalling will reset.

Testing the airflow sensor - remove the case cover to test voltage to verify a good/bad airflow sensor. Use a digital voltmeter, + on this spot, - on the metal case while the heater is running. You should get 2.2-2.6 volts for a good sensor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The gas pressure should be regulated at 11-12" water-column while running.

I would recommend reporting the lack of support of 'Propex Canada' to Propex directly. I'm surprised they are still in business as I've heard numerous stories of the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

Put a vacuum on the end of the combustion intake air and exhaust. Leave it for 30 seconds and try again. Sometimes this solves the problem for me. Even blowing air in them with your mouth may help but don't do this in public.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex shut off problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I’m reluctantly suggesting this, as it might not fit the bill, but you’ve been thru a lot and tried many things.

When my propex fails to ignite, and here is why I was reluctant to suggest… I didn’t note any codes… I switch to fan only for 30sec to a minute and try ignite
again . Then it works .

Forgive me if this is more noise than signal, but hey, try it .

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: