Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 231, 232, 233  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

There's nothing new here as far as what the government will tell you what and how to drive. Ever hear of emission controls, seat belts, speed limits, stop signs, or mandatory insurance? I've been driving for over 50 years. Get used to it or take a cab.
HereToGo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I'd rather just tell them to stick it where the sun won't shine, along with other current events. Live free or die.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

HereToGo wrote:
I'll be damned if some government muppet is going to tell me what I can or cannot drive or how far I can drive.

lmfao.

do you have a drivers license?

did you choose to have brake lights?

do you just blow through stop signs because those muppets cant tell you when to stop?

grow up.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

HereToGo wrote:
Maybe we can get access to some of that 1969 NASA battery/charger tech, the type that allowed the moon buggy to putter around the lunar surface at -250° to -454°. That three day trip from earth to the moon would have tested the mettle of any battery in those low temps.

I thought that was filmed in arizona...? Wink Laughing

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

ha

one lightning strike and this thing will be a roman candle. no thanks.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
HereToGo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

finster wrote:
HereToGo wrote:
Maybe we can get access to some of that 1969 NASA battery/charger tech, the type that allowed the moon buggy to putter around the lunar surface at -250° to -454°. That three day trip from earth to the moon would have tested the mettle of any battery in those low temps.

I thought that was filmed in arizona...? Wink Laughing

That was the whole point I was trying to make. Perhaps Stanley Kubricks estate will give pole barn tours one day.
HereToGo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
HereToGo wrote:
I'll be damned if some government muppet is going to tell me what I can or cannot drive or how far I can drive.

lmfao.

do you have a drivers license?

did you choose to have brake lights?

do you just blow through stop signs because those muppets cant tell you when to stop?

grow up.

Brake lights, stop signs, emissions, insurance and other straw man arguments have nothing to do with the freedom of choice I was pointing out. Wake up and pay attention.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

HereToGo wrote:

Brake lights, stop signs, emissions, insurance and other straw man arguments have nothing to do with the freedom of choice I was pointing out. Wake up and pay attention.

you dont want the government to tell you how to drive? guess what...they already do. they have since before you were born. my examples were to demonstrate how thoroughly you fail to understand that there are, and always have been, significant laws regulating driving. some things aren't about "muh freedumb". you have the choice to not drive. once you choose to drive there are expectations of conduct.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
HereToGo wrote:

you dont want the government to tell you how to drive? guess what...they already do. they have since before you were born. my examples were to demonstrate how thoroughly you fail to understand that there are, and always have been, significant laws regulating driving. some things aren't about "muh freedumb". you have the choice to not drive. once you choose to drive there are expectations of conduct.

^^^All of which still does not address your free choice as to WHAT FUEL you choose to drive with. The discussion is not HOW YOU DRIVE! Stay on topic Bud!

I still have a problem with the government telling me I cannot drive a little fuel efficient diesel car but it's ok for my neighbor to drive a big honking fuel guzzling diesel 4 X 4...
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

You want freedom of choice? You already have it. Sell your BP stock before it's worthless.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Jimone wrote:
HereToGo wrote:

^^^All of which still does not address your free choice as to WHAT FUEL you choose to drive with. .

It kind of does. You can't drive a car on leaded petrol anymore.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
oprn wrote:
Jimone wrote:
HereToGo wrote:

^^^All of which still does not address your free choice as to WHAT FUEL you choose to drive with. .

It kind of does. You can't drive a car on leaded petrol anymore.

Even straight gasoline, it is almost all some sort of plant based blend.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Rich Latsch wrote:
You want freedom of choice? You already have it. Sell your BP stock before it's worthless.

Laughing

too funny. if you think in our lifetime, or our kids/possible grandkids lifetime fossil fuels or a derivative thereof will disappear think again

if they were serious about making the world electric, we'd be on a 7th gen nuclear reactor by now

here on the east coast we have so many mills that used hydro to power them. you think they'd restart/update that stuff....nope. more money if fear mongering and taxing the fuck out of you than coming up with sensible solutions.

we will need petroleum products for all eternity if you want to continue in the modern world

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

We will always have a use for petroleum based products and that is what will keep the oil companies in business. I do think, however, that gasoline in particular will go away and sooner rather than later.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Highly unlikely. Nothing to date can match it for portability and concentration of energy.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Highly unlikely. Nothing to date can match it for portability and concentration of energy.

Politicians can
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Elon is way ahead of you. Tesla uses active battery temperature management and the data for Tesla in cold temps is already there , it works.

I hate EV with passion but I don’t pretend it doesn’t work for most.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Elon is way ahead of you.

Really? I think not! I just talked to the first Tesla owner in our area. He says it will make the round trip to our closest city (3 hours) in the summer but not in the winter. He told me that it would not make it for me even in the summer as I live a half hour further away.

Our '02 TDI goes an easy 11 hours on a fill and if I put two jerry cans in the trunk that would give me 18 + hours with a 5 minute stop to refill.
Abscate wrote:
Tesla uses active battery temperature management and the data for Tesla in cold temps is already there , it works.

Yes we just came through a two week stretch of -30 to -40 weather. He told me the car worked fine for what he used it for. He maintains 80 wind turbines on the edge of the town he lives in so range was not an issue. He is never more than 6 miles from home.
Abscate wrote:
I hate EV with passion but I don’t pretend it doesn’t work for most.

I don't hate EVs, what I do hate is them being rammed down my throat as the ultimate answer by people that live in an urban bubble and have no idea what the rest of the world looks like never mind what our needs actually are!

For example, we have a VW Lupo with a 30 liter tank and when we visit relatives that live directly south of us (5.5 hour drive) we only have 3.5 hours of fuel in the tank just like a Tesla. There is only one fuel station on route with limited hours and nothing where they live so we take a couple jerry cans and hope to catch the fuel station during thier business hours either coming or going. The TDI will do the round trip on a single 55 liter tank!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

In my humble opinion, I do not see the electric vehicle we are presented with today as the long term alternative to gasoline or diesel.

It is but an intermediate step to something else.

The current offering is fine for local trips or errands, but fails miserably if you want to leave town.

As mentioned, it is now simply a rich man's toy who has the money to buy/insure and space to park a fleet of specialty vehicles.

For the guy living in a brownstone/row house in a city and parks on the street? No way! Do you run an extension cord out if your dining room window to charge? And that will work only if you found a parking spot within blocks of your home!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Running an extension cord across a public sidewalk is illegal in most towns and cities here. It's considered a tripping hazard.

Another thing I wonder about is if they will eventually be banned from underground parking, ferries and tunnels just like propane fueled vehicles for the perceived fire hazard. Also how long before insurance companies clue in to the fact they can charge the home owner more to park them in thier attached garage?

Last edited by oprn on Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 231, 232, 233  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 233

Jump to: