Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 231, 232, 233  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Those posters you speak of are part of the 90%ers
90%ers are npr followers.
I have a few friends that tell me npr only report true information.

Now, back on topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

funny how nobody wanted to touch my Centralia comments….

Not quite sure what there is to say about Centralia, realistically it is the least of that region’s issues. I had family in Shamokin (my great-grandfather began working in those mines at 6 years old.) & would visit Centralia occasionally after it was (mostly) evacuated. It was definitely surreal seeing the last few remaining homes of the holdouts interspersed between the smoking cracks in the ground.

Speaking of Shamokin, that town has the largest man-made mountain, comprised of the waste separated from the coal mined from around the town. That “Mountain” was burning internally way before centralia was ignited. The whole area is littered with abandoned mines, sink holes, & equipment used in strip mining. The river running through it , fed by flooded mines, still runs red 60+ years later.

In my opinion, those that took the government payout & moved out of the area saved themselves & their families the long, slow, descent into health & economic collapse. A majority of those veins were depleted 60+ years ago & that entire industry, that built (& destroyed) much of that region, has left. Many of the towns in that area are slowly dying off anyway since there is no real income stream to support those that once supported the miners.

But what the hell, anyone invested in lithium mines yet?:p

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Electric vs. gasoline efficiency
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

gasoline equivalence considering energy source

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

I have a couple of ETF’s.
GLOBAL X LIT
Amplify Lithium & Battery BATT

EV technology is here to stay know matter how much we debate it.
I might as well enjoy the fruits of others labor too.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

I have a couple of ETF’s.
GLOBAL X LIT
Amplify Lithium & Battery BATT

EV technology is here to stay know matter how much we debate it.
I might as well enjoy the fruits of others labor too.

It is indeed. Looks like America is going to repeat history. All the people who have been bitching about being reliant on foreign energy can keep bitching.
Whom will relying on foreign energy piss off the most. Lefty tree hugger or Righty coal roller? We have a chance to do it right this time. We can do it environmentally better then most and be in “Charge” of our future.
War Eagle!

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

It is indeed. Looks like America is going to repeat history. All the people who have been bitching about being reliant on foreign energy can keep bitching.
Whom will relying on foreign energy piss off the most. Lefty tree hugger or Righty coal roller? We have a chance to do it right this time. We can do it environmentally better then most and be in “Charge” of our future.
War Eagle!

Eh, with China already in a race to buy up all of the lithium mining rights, you can bet that we’ll be trading reliance on one hostile foreign entity for another, and I can guarantee that they don’t give a flying fuck about environmental impact.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

If you're curious:

Quote:
Three companies — Berkshire Hathaway Energy, Controlled Thermal and EnergySource Minerals — think they know how to pull lithium out of the 600-degree brine. By removing impurities in a way that’s far more environmentally friendly than other modes of lithium production, these companies hope to refine the brine’s contents into a form of lithium that battery makers can use.

Two of the companies want to begin commercial production within two years, and combined lithium output by all three could reach 100,000 metric tons by about 2027, based on company targets — enough to power more than 50 million electric cars. That means the brine of the Salton Sea, a toxic body of water deemed a public health emergency, is potentially worth $6 billion.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2022/08/3...d158e04f63
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
If you're curious:

Quote:
Three companies — Berkshire Hathaway Energy, Controlled Thermal and EnergySource Minerals — think they know how to pull lithium out of the 600-degree brine. By removing impurities in a way that’s far more environmentally friendly than other modes of lithium production, these companies hope to refine the brine’s contents into a form of lithium that battery makers can use.

Two of the companies want to begin commercial production within two years, and combined lithium output by all three could reach 100,000 metric tons by about 2027, based on company targets — enough to power more than 50 million electric cars. That means the brine of the Salton Sea, a toxic body of water deemed a public health emergency, is potentially worth $6 billion.

Yes, I am curious.

Stripping it of the salt & lithium doesn’t necessarily remove the toxins that make it a “public health emergency”, who are the current owners (the state I presume)? Who will be responsible for whatever cleanup is necessary? Will all of the proceeds from the lithium extraction be put towards the cleanup? (Yeah, right)

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Xevin wrote:

War Eagle!

Eh, with China already in a race to buy up all of the lithium mining rights, you can bet that we’ll be trading reliance on one hostile foreign entity for another, and I can guarantee that they don’t give a flying fuck about environmental impact.

You are correct Sir! But who does it piss off most?

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

The brine is sent back into the ground where it came from. It's a closed loop. If a spill happens it'll dry up.

Over time, will it result in polluting the environment? That's what studies are for.

The Salton Sea water is already toxic, and the surrounding land is full of bad stuff. Don't want to make it worse.

I'm glad people are asking these questions.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
If you're curious:

Quote:

I’ve read all that. Hell, I think I was first to post about the Salton Sludge.
In those articles is a lot of speculation. Like Hope, might, maybe, and etc. That’s fine. That’s how investors make big money. Jerry Jones the Dallas Cowboys owner made an ass ton of money in oil. Yet the USA still relies on OPEC oil.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

By now I think some of the ev owners on this site realize ev's are not the better mouse trap. There will be millions of ev's but not without severe collateral damage to the planet, too much evidence shows otherwise.
So stop the facade that this new technology to move our butts down the road is soo much cleaner. Our great grandkids will look back at the abandoned mines and solar fields and wind turbines and say..what a friggin mess.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

You're serious, aren't you.

Scary.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:

Scary.

I’m serious. Jerry Jones made billions speculating on minerals. Tip of the hat to him.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
steve244 wrote:

Scary.

I’m serious. Jerry Jones made billions speculating on minerals. Tip of the hat to him.

…then lost it all drinking Koolaid CN
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

There have been too many replies for me to read them all so if I'm bringing up a concern that has already been addressed, let me know. Considering the weight of EVs, what about the safety factor in a crash? I'm thinking of the other vehicle and not the EV. I read an article on simulated crashes and it appears the extra weight of an EV can cause much greater damage to the person in the non-EV. The fact that the batteries may be located between the frame rails does not change the momentum of a 6000 pound vehicle hitting a 3500 vehicle head on. I know there are 6000 pound ICE vehicles but the extra weight of an EV compared to a similar ICE vehicle is always there.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

MASS x ACCELERATION = FORCE.

Science.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
There have been too many replies for me to read them all so if I'm bringing up a concern that has already been addressed, let me know. Considering the weight of EVs, what about the safety factor in a crash? I'm thinking of the other vehicle and not the EV. I read an article on simulated crashes and it appears the extra weight of an EV can cause much greater damage to the person in the non-EV. The fact that the batteries may be located between the frame rails does not change the momentum of a 6000 pound vehicle hitting a 3500 vehicle head on. I know there are 6000 pound ICE vehicles but the extra weight of an EV compared to a similar ICE vehicle is always there.

Crumple zones, magical sensors, and etc.

People get weird that I drive 70s buses and bugs in 2022 because big ass heavy cars and dum dums driving around not paying attention.

In 1974 my bug was no match for a Ford LTD and a driver who picked up a few roadies from the drive-thru liquor store. No seatbelt required, searching the radio for a good song to impress your date that wants to get sexy. Odds are better now my 1974 makes it hitting a modern car. All the other shit happens. Just differently.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:

There's always someone bigger and heavier on the road. Situational awareness is called for.

The Nissan Leaf doesn't brake as well as the Honda Fit that it replaced in emergency stops. And the Fit didn't have great brakes.

I'm impressed how much you are considering the other people on the road. Tip of the hat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 231, 232, 233  Next
Jump to:
Page 75 of 233

Jump to: