Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
DeathRay64 wrote:
I recently bought a 2002 Ford Ranger because I'm cheap and poor... but also because it is the only American car company that hasn't been "saved" by the government.

It is a tool toward finishing my '63 beetle and nothing more, but I do enjoy it (even with it's plethora of, government enforced, weight saving plastic parts.).

Except... I also bought it it to annoy people like Abscate.

Quote:
but also because it is the only American car company that hasn't been "saved" by the government.

#respect

Squeezing more use out of a 22 year old car is the Greenest thing in this thread

Now that's something we can agree on.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Which one? Squeezing more out of an old car or... annoying Abscate?
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I wouldn't call it green because I despise that false agenda. Back in the old times we would call that thrifty or economical.

I have never owned a car newer than 20 years old... never had much desire to part with so much money.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Lol maybe both? Laughing

J/K

Squeezing more use out of an old car is very green. The sunk environmental cost of the mining and production have already past.

All you deal with now are minor parts costs, and running emissions. They was some study that found even running a gross poluting car would take YEARS to equal the environmental impact of producing a new one. Like 50 years. I'll see if I can find the study.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

In regard to government bailouts, I wonder when the first EV manufacturer bailout will happen? I know 2 of the big 3 were bailed out but why were the smaller makers like Studebaker & AMC not given the same "help"? I suspect that if a bailout were to happen again, it would be to a large EV manufacturer like Tesla. In my opinion, companies must be allowed to fail regardless of size whether its a single large company that employs thousands or a thousand small companies that employ a few. Only the latter happens.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
oprn wrote:
I though the Ford Ranger was made by Mazda? That was what made it such a winner in my eyes...

'70s Ford Couriers were Mazdas. Ford started making the Ranger and provided them to Mazda starting in 94.

My son had one of the last Mazda built small trucks, a 92 Mazda b2200i for a few years. We wrenched the hell out of that thing.

My daily driver is a 1988 Mazda B2200 Cab Plus truck, 4-cylinder and 5-speed, mine since 1994.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1986-1993 Mazda B-trucks for North America were made in Japan, and continued later for other regions. Starting in 1994 Ford Ranger made in New Jersey (I think) provided trucks for Mazda that were 99% identical to the Rangers.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
oprn wrote:
I though the Ford Ranger was made by Mazda? That was what made it such a winner in my eyes...

'70s Ford Couriers were Mazdas. Ford started making the Ranger and provided them to Mazda starting in 94.

1986-1993 Mazda B-trucks for North America were made in Japan, and continued later for other regions. Starting in 1994 Ford Ranger made in New Jersey (I think) provided trucks for Mazda that were 99% identical to the Rangers.

A lot of Rangers were built here at the Twin Cities Assembly Plant in Saint Paul-- the last 2012 Ranger was the final vehicle produced there and then closed. That plant opened in 1925 building Model Ts. A lot of people here lost their jobs when they shut down. (Incidentally, I was delivering Pepsi to the cafeteria there when I heard of the Challenger disaster on the morning of 28 Jan 1986.)
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

The carbon offset analysis can be found in an OECD search concerning car scrapping schemes implemented by various governments around 2008. Their analysis concluded the MPG, vehicle size, etc. had almost zero effect on total carbon footprint. The average vehicle would have to travel 1.5 million miles before exhaust carbon load exceeded the load of manufacture. This is accepted common knowledge amongst the intelligencia . Once again the whole experience is not about some advertised agenda, its about a new vision of modern society and the amazing economic opportunities that it births.

Get onboard or get left behind
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

San diego wants to force everyone into public transportation, buy raising gas tax, implementing a mileage tax and putting 800 miles of freeways into toll roads. They are all in on woke and equity, somehow Rolling Eyes
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I would be totally on board with using public transportation for all local everyday activities and keeping a car for the long trips but public transportation does not exist where I live. Not in any form whatsoever! No busses, no subways, no light rail, no taxis, no uber. So don't tax the crap out of me to try and force me into something that is a figment of your imagination!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/driving-100-m...cc6a83de9f

What are “deadhead miles” in a commuter car?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I would be totally on board with using public transportation for all local everyday activities and keeping a car for the long trips but public transportation does not exist where I live. Not in any form whatsoever! No busses, no subways, no light rail, no taxis, no uber. So don't tax the crap out of me to try and force me into something that is a figment of your imagination!

I live out in farm country, so also not applicable. Even if it was available, I probably wouldn't use it. Most people in Chicago's collar counties don't use public transportation unless they work in the city and even then the majority drive & enjoy the traffic jams. Chicago has some electric busses but they are not a deterrent to getting shot. I just thought I'd throw that in there to keep on topic.

Last edited by Bonesberg55 on Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/driving-100-m...cc6a83de9f

What are “deadhead miles” in a commuter car?

The energy wasted driving to a fueling/charging station.

The consulting group doesn't show their work, but they are talking about total cost of ownership per 100 miles.

Energy costs outside of CT are less than 1/2 using electricity. I don't know what costs they are including to show electrics being the same as ICEs. Do you?
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
San diego wants to force everyone into public transportation, buy raising gas tax, implementing a mileage tax and putting 800 miles of freeways into toll roads. They are all in on woke and equity, somehow Rolling Eyes

Hell, traffic was so damn bad it used to take me an hour and a half to drive the 18 miles to Solana Beach for work every day, and an hour and a half to get back home again . . . that in itself was already more than enough incentive for me to park the Bug and get my ass on the bus every morning!

The bus still took an hour and a half, but at least I could sit back and enjoy the ride. And gas was $5-something a gallon back then, so the bus was way cheaper, to boot.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
Hell, traffic was so damn bad it used to take me an hour and a half to drive the 18 miles to Solana Beach for work every day,

30 years ago I worked at a place where it took less than 20 minutes to get there in the morning but 45 minutes to get home in the evening.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:

Energy costs outside of CT are less than 1/2 using electricity.

um, wrong but ok...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I was really proud of Ford for not taking the bailout money, but it was the right thing to do for the others, in my Keynesian view.

Rewarding them with your business is laudable.

Feeling the love!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Some more fuel for the EV’s are bad topic.

“The cost to drive an internal combustion engine vehicle 100 miles in the U.S. fell below the cost to charge a comparable electric vehicle for the first time in 18 months, a new report from a Michigan think tank says. An analysis of late-2022 fueling costs by the Anderson Economic Group says midpriced ICE drivers are paying about $11.29 for 100 miles of driving, an average of 31 cents less than midpriced EV drivers who charge at home.
Source: Automotive News”

That’s some made up think tank shinola there.

A “ mid priced ICE” would need to average 25 mpg on the commute to get those costs while the average EV would have to be paying 40 cents a kWhr , and a Tesla 50mcents a kWhr, to be paying more than that.

Who funds that swill tank.?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Who funds that swill tank.?

Us TDI owners! We get 55+ mpg in town, 62 mpg on the highway! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

SUCKERS!! Laughing

My turn to be smug!
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:

Energy costs outside of CT are less than 1/2 using electricity.

um, wrong but ok...

your article quotes operating costs per 100 miles at around $11 for both electric and ICE. It states that electrics are now at par instead of saving money.

So I guess you're wrong stating electrics were ever more expensive to operate!

empirical evidence: The Leaf would travel more than 300 miles on $11 of good 'ol GA electricity. At 30MPG an ICE would travel 110 miles.*

Chew on that.

*electric rate $0.12/kWh and 12kwH to travel 40 miles in 2015 leaf.
gasoline @ $3.00/gal
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 118 of 235

Jump to: