Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 144, 145, 146 ... 232, 233, 234  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
New rule in CA

All EVs need to be semi annually smug-checked

You get a little sticker on the back if you pass

I passed. It's daily here.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Wow. I wonder how much it cost him for the build. Somehow it appears he lost a bit.

kingkarmann wrote:
Now this is one EV I could live with Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Details here
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-31/

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I wonder when CA will ban EV's. 50 years? 100 years?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Yep, mining for coal or gas is bad, but battery rare earth mineral mining is good for the planet Rolling Eyes
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I think we can agree that all extraction of natural resources is bad for the planet.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
I think we can agree that all extraction of natural resources is bad for the planet.

So, no trees, no fish, no water, no natural gas? Sounds like no survival except for whatever is in the ground.

I strongly disagree!
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:

so are you going to quit breathing and drinking water too?!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
steve244 wrote:

So, no trees, no fish, no water, no natural gas? Sounds like no survival except for whatever is in the ground.

I strongly disagree!

Not sure I understand: "Sounds like no survival except for whatever is in the ground."

outcaststudios wrote:
steve244 wrote:

so are you going to quit breathing and drinking water too?!

That's one solution.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Just research 15 minute cities municipal planning. Cars are not part of the future for many city dwellers. I already see the "stack and packs" mushrooming up in city centers. No provision for car ownership ( ie parking ). Cars? bad, Electric scooters? good.

its a veritable age of reason with everyone on a paying basis
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Just research 15 minute cities municipal planning. Cars are not part of the future for many city dwellers. I already see the "stack and packs" mushrooming up in city centers. No provision for car ownership ( ie parking ). Cars? bad, Electric scooters? good.

Two feet? Even better!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Future housing and energy production:
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

So, that's what Slimer really looks like!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:

This sounds awesome to me because I'd have no part in it. If people want to stack themselves up like cord wood and use scooters to get around their 10 mile radius, more power to them.

Unfortunately they won't have a spot to park their Tesla. I hope they make some pretty fucking expensive scooters they can brag about at Starbucks.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

"Have you not considered how much easier it is to control a walking population?" - Frank Herbert

Frank Herbert wrote that line over 40 years ago. I'd say his prescience was kinda spooky, but I'm sure he didn't think, not even in his wildest dreams, that this might actually come true some day soon.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I was wondering about the Herbert quote. It's from the fourth in the Dune series, God-Emperor of Dune:

The first paragraph is an analysis of the actual quote that follows.

Quote:
Horse drawn antigravity wagons for farmers. Dune, for all your anachronistic needs. Justified in that Leto II [a 3,500 year old mutant human-worm with psychic prescience] intentionally suppresses all forms of advanced culture and technology except those he uses himself, as part of his plan to force humanity to evolve.

"Have you not considered how much easier it is to control a walking population?"*

I didn't make it past the 2nd novel so I can't add much (other than read Dune, but skip the rest). The analysis states suppression of advanced technology was to force the population to evolve. I suppose that's appropriate, but EVs don't equate with primitive tech. We really should be going back to street cars, horse-drawn or not.

*source
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

True, this idea that we have in North America that every person of driving age is entitled to their own 6000 pound gas guzzling 4x4 to use for any trivial whim that strikes them at any instant is complete horse crap!

The next stupid idea that needs addressing is that industry should be separate from residents and everyone should live in sprawling luxury bedroom comminutes and commute for hours back and forth to work.

By the way we just did a trip on Canada's main corridor highway and I could not believe how many of these coal burning electric cars are out there now! A big change in the last year or so.
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
True, this idea that we have in North America that every person of driving age is entitled to their own 6000 pound gas guzzling 4x4 to use for any trivial whim that strikes them at any instant is complete horse crap!

The next stupid idea that needs addressing is that industry should be separate from residents and everyone should live in sprawling luxury bedroom comminutes and commute for hours back and forth to work.

By the way we just did a trip on Canada's main corridor highway and I could not believe how many of these coal burning electric cars are out there now! A big change in the last year or so.

Chevy, Dodge, and Ford manufacture less and less passenger cars every year. Their push for EV seems weird considering all you can buy are basically SUV's and trucks from them. The cars that they do still make are mostly gas guzzling performance models like Corvette, Charger, and Mustang. Camaro goes away (again) in 2024...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

The ego driven appetites of consumers is what enables all this. The "Mine is bigger and better than yours." mentality. Just think about how different our world would be if it were instead a "Mine is more efficient and cost effective than yours."

Pretty hard to flaunt that look though... very few people have any appreciation of that kind of a sensible lifestyle.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

At least in the USA, those 3 & 4 ton station wagons just show the stupidity of a lot of people. On top of dragging around those inefficient boat anchors, they carry a mortgage on them. But, they are bigger than mine.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The ego driven appetites of consumers is what enables all this. The "Mine is bigger and better than yours." mentality. Just think about how different our world would be if it were instead a "Mine is more efficient and cost effective than yours."

Pretty hard to flaunt that look though... very few people have any appreciation of that kind of a sensible lifestyle.

Obviously you DON'T live in California!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 144, 145, 146 ... 232, 233, 234  Next
Jump to:
Page 145 of 234

Jump to: