Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Home Improvement/DIY Forum Recommendations?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
3am
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:02 am    Post subject: Home Improvement/DIY Forum Recommendations? Reply with quote

I've just bought an old house and I'm in the process of renovating it. Everything from knocking down walls to preserving/restoring original features.
I'd love to document the project and also garner sage advice from people in the know.
Does anyone know of a decent forum for this?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Home Improvement/DIY Forum Recommendations? Reply with quote

How old is old?
Good starting point is Secretary of the interiors standards for historical preservation.
3am
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Home Improvement/DIY Forum Recommendations? Reply with quote

It's from the 1860s. Also notable that I'm in Germany, and while almost all buildings of this age here have a preservation order ("denkmelshutz") mine somehow does not. So I am really free to do what I like.

However, I want to retain a lot of the original features. For example I've uncovered some painted ceiling murals from perhaps the 1920s under the wallpaper that I'd like to somehow preserve and need advice on that.
I guess what I really need is somewhere I can ask generic contractor questions, but also ask about things that might be considered preservation or just a little artisan. I'm working to a budget and love to do things myself using found/upcycled/free materials where possible.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Improvement/DIY Forum Recommendations? Reply with quote

for germany maybe -
https://www.fachwerk.de/whats-new/posts/29091/

this is a big uk one
https://www.periodproperty.co.uk/forum/forums/period-property-discussion-forum.1/

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
3am
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Home Improvement/DIY Forum Recommendations? Reply with quote

Thank you Finster, that German one is particularly good. Much appreciated
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: