Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FAS Gen V Ordered!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Just pulled the trigger on the FAS Gen V NA gas. Seemed just right for my needs. I will post here as I move forward.

First things first... What to do with the WBX?? I will be selling it if I can. The engine is a GW 2.4 with approximately 80,000 miles. This is the 2.4 they produced around 2010 so I believe it is not the same spec as the one they sell now but really have no idea, previous owner installed and clocked 6000 miles. In the last 10,000 miles I added GW throttle body, Mansi injectors VanCafe fuel rails and new line, GW alternator tensioner and a GW t-stat housing.

It is my daily driver, it runs, but it's tired and eats oil, about a quart every other fill. It smells strong of burning oil and just this week it will only start with the throttle wide open. Once warm it runs normally. My semi educated guess is that it has worn rings and needs a rebuild which is beyond my skill level.

Before I start the uninstall what do you all think I should record for a future sale?

I have...
- Video of the tach and Oil Pressure gauge at temp idling and revving
- Video of the engine itself at temp idling and revving
- Video of Cold start exhaust and engine bay

What else?

Any thoughts on what it is worth?
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Van at temp and idling. Oil pressure in upper right.

Last edited by enochramal on Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

11 year old rebuild that burns excessive oil?
Has a few desirable parts recently installed.
A proprietary build that you may not be able to get parts for easily or cheaply?

Oops, 12 years ........

$500

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
11 year old rebuild that burns excessive oil?
Has a few desirable parts recently installed.
A proprietary build that you may not be able to get parts for easily or cheaply?

Oops, 12 years ........

$500

Thanks! In the range of what I was thinking... That is why FAS. Seems almost as good to strip the good parts and sell along with all the other spare goodies I have...
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

If you are selling it a compression test would be good info for a buyer.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Welcome to "the club"! You'll love it Laughing
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
If you are selling it a compression test would be good info for a buyer.

Of course will do, leak down too I suppose...
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Compression check with pictures on all cylinders.

I'm a bit surprised a rebuilt 2.4 by GW with 80k miles on it burns this amount of oil. Do their engines have this short of a life?
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Yeah, only 80K miles on a GW engine? Man, what's up with that?
Not a great advert for GW engines.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

enochramal wrote:
Just pulled the trigger on the FAS Gen V NA gas. Seemed just right for my needs. I will post here as I move forward.

Hell yeah!
goubeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Yep, I too am a bit astonished that your GW 2.4 is performing so poorly with only 80K miles! I hope this is the exception though.

I guess what worries me is that my GW 2.2 with 40K from 2011 might also be short lived.

I will be interested in your assessment from a leak down and compression test as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

For those wondering/worried about GW engines, I can only speak to this one and it has been mostly awesome. Previous owner had it for 6 yrs and only clocked 6k miles. I’ve no idea if break in procedure was followed. It drank oil from the day I bought it. Immediately drove cross country VT to OR then drove through Baja mainland Mexico, Belize and Guatemala then home trouble free with regards to the engine. Been my daily driver since that trip and to VT and back the last two summers. All the while drinking a quart every 800-1000 miles. Only in the last year has that volume gone up.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

1 quart every other isn't that bad! But I remember something about this series of engines being an issue and that's why they don't make them anymore. They make a 2450cc replacement instead.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

what air filter is in there?
has it ever had a coolant issue? ie been run hot a time or 2

of course we don't know how it's 1st owner flogged it.
brandy new outta the box, lend it to his kids or cute neighbor?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

When I sold my wbx I listed it in CL before it was removed. Two potential buyers drove it, one bought it for $500. No videos needed.

Hooray for your replacement!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
what air filter is in there?
has it ever had a coolant issue? ie been run hot a time or 2

of course we don't know how it's 1st owner flogged it.
brandy new outta the box, lend it to his kids or cute neighbor?

Stock air filter.

Yes it did run hot a couple of times when I first got it due to coolant leaks. Both times the van was shut down when the high speed fan kicked on and the issue fixed.

When entering Mexico the van started running very hot with the needle hanging out at 3/4. I noticed that when passing cars or going up hill in 3rd at 4000rpm the temp would drop down to normal position at the light. Once I landed in La Paz I went to Gerald's, explained the problem to Rogelio and he resolved it in a day. My Spanish sucks so I never really understood what exactly was the issue.

Since that time the gauge sits right at the light. Also one year at DOB as I was parking and the coolant distribution tower blew and I lost all coolant but shut the van down immediately. I fixed the tower with an end cap from a yakima bar, and gorilla tape. Made it the two hours home just fine and immediately ordered the stainless steel distribution tower which I guess will be for sale soon lol Laughing
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Just looked up the original sales receipt for the GW engine.

Original sale date was Feb 2007 so it is actually 15 years old. I have sent an email to GW regarding piston options for a rebuild just to see if it's even possible.

These are the specs from the sales receipt...

"GoWesty 2400CC, 9.4:1 compression ratio, 115 HP, 160 FT-LBS TORQUE Rebuilt long block for 86-91 2WD VANAGON Manual Transmission. All
new seals, gaskets, bearings, pistons rings lifters and much more."

This is actually great news for me. I was mentally comparing the specs of the new 2.45 with 132HP to the FAS engine at 135HP thinking I wouldn't feel much of a difference. I think I am going to be very happy with 20 new horse.
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

enochramal wrote:
These are the specs from the sales receipt...

"GoWesty 2400CC, 9.4:1 compression ratio, 115 HP, 160 FT-LBS TORQUE Rebuilt long block for 86-91 2WD VANAGON Manual Transmission. All
new seals, gaskets, bearings, pistons rings lifters and much more."

Response from GW...

"Unfortunately, the pistons in that engine were custom and we no longer have those to offer. The only solution we can offer would be one of our engine kits that require swapping out the crankshaft and camshaft in addition to the pistons and cylinders. The closet offering to that engine size is our 2.45L kit. These are out of stock, but we are hopeful that they will be back in stock mid-March. Thanks!"

So, essentially 3k to rebuild this engine.
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

[quote="enochramal"]
enochramal wrote:

Response from GW...

"Unfortunately, the pistons in that engine were custom and we no longer have those to offer. The only solution we can offer would be one of our engine kits that require swapping out the crankshaft and camshaft in addition to the pistons and cylinders. The closet offering to that engine size is our 2.45L kit. These are out of stock, but we are hopeful that they will be back in stock mid-March. Thanks!"

So, essentially 3k to rebuild this engine.

Also this...

"I believe that there wouldn’t be any modifications to the case, but you would need to double check clearances when assembling to ensure there is no contact with the case. It is possible that some hand clearancing would be needed. Thanks!"
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

What oil brand & weight are you running in the GW 2.4 WBX?

I'm guessing it has forged pistons. Those need to have a little more clearance, which may account for the oil usage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: