Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cars Without Headlights!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I am spoiled in the Benz... they come on, flip hi/low and steer to avoid glare for oncoming drivers, with no actions from me.

Then I get in another car (like my VW) and turn into an asshole for not dipping my high beams! (some say I'm an AH in either car, but that's another story...)

believe it or not... The b6 passat has those projecting headlights as well or whatever they call them.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

Those old Chrysler rectangular steering wheels were absolutely the worst thing ever! If you are ever in the market for a couple sets of busted knuckles take one of those babies into a parkade!

Been there done that!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

Now these brain dead American car companies have the brilliant idea that the headlight on the side you are turning on should be doused! Ya! Right! So nobody needs to see around the corner they are about to turn? Hello!!!

Ok so it works in the city where the street lights are so bright that you can hardly tell day from night but take that thing out into the real world where the rest of us live and see how it works!

Idiots!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Now these brain dead American car companies have the brilliant idea that the headlight on the side you are turning on should be doused!

Headlight or side/dip/running lights?

I see that a lot with LED light units. The side light and indicator/turn signal seem to occupy the same space, so they turn off the white side/dip/running light to make the indicator more obvious.

I've never seen one that turns the headlight off though.

We have a Mk.3 Seat Leon as our daily driver. It seems to be one of the few cars with LED light units that has distinctly separate indicators and side/dip/running lights.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
oprn wrote:
Now these brain dead American car companies have the brilliant idea that the headlight on the side you are turning on should be doused!

Headlight or side/dip/running lights?

I see that a lot with LED light units. The side light and indicator/turn signal seem to occupy the same space, so they turn off the white side/dip/running light to make the indicator more obvious.

I've never seen one that turns the headlight off though.

We have a Mk.3 Seat Leon as our daily driver. It seems to be one of the few cars with LED light units that has distinctly separate indicators and side/dip/running lights.

I think Cadillac and Dodge are the ones I notice the most, and it's cars that have combined daylight running lights and turn signals smushed together.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

https://blog.theretrofitsource.com/the-history-of-automotive-headlights-retrofit-source
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Now these brain dead American car companies have the brilliant idea that the headlight on the side you are turning on should be doused! Ya! Right! So nobody needs to see around the corner they are about to turn? Hello!!!

Ok so it works in the city where the street lights are so bright that you can hardly tell day from night but take that thing out into the real world where the rest of us live and see how it works!

Idiots!

That only applies to a few day-time running lights. And non-US cars have it too.
And thank god-those integrated headlight & turn signals make the signals hard to see on some vehicles.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

Last edited by vanagonjr on Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

This used to bother me too- until I got a laser pointer. Now I'm finding it way more fun to point it at the offenders in a moving car than it is standing still and helping to land commercial aircraft.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
This used to bother me too- until I got a laser pointer. Now I'm finding it way more fun to point it at the offenders in a moving car than it is standing still and helping to land commercial aircraft.

Seriously?

If you did that to me, expect me to circle back and express my displeasure to the back of your head rather than calling the police.

https://wpdh.com/hudson-valley-police-seeking-drivers-targeted-by-laser-pointer/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
hitest wrote:

Seriously?

If you did that to me, expect me to circle back and express my displeasure to the back of your head rather than calling the police.

https://wpdh.com/hudson-valley-police-seeking-drivers-targeted-by-laser-pointer/

Wow..... just Wow!

I gave up playing "games" with other drivers years ago.

Today there are just too many unstable people wandering free, and it seems many of them are carrying weapons.

I had an experience not too long ago where to avoid an accident I had to do a fast lane change cutting in front of a car.
After things "normalized" the car I cut in front of sped by me, opened the passenger window and tossed a rock out at me!

The highways are littered with asses...... don't go pissing them off. You may not live to laugh about it.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
EverettB wrote:
I read somewhere to follow a basic rule - If you have to run your wipers, your lights should be on too.

That's a state law in New York.

Quote:
A: Section 375.2(a)1 of New York State's Vehicle and Traffic Law does state that motorists are required to have their headlights on when driving “upon a public highway during the period from one-half hour after sunset to one half-hour before sunrise or at any other time when windshield wipers are in use

Ohio too.
Everyone complains about self driving cars. Here's the thing. The average driver IMO expects the damn thing to do everything, including entertainment, for them. You can't expect to be bothered by checking to see if your HL's or wipers are on. What do you mean I'm driving on a flat, car is supposed to let me know!
Old man rant over Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

Laughing Wink
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

The sar-chasm is filling up,with bodies quickly….
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

I pull out of the driveway at 0 dark thirty, and I leave the lights off till I turn onto the road, as otherwise I light up 3 apartments in a house at the end if the driveway. I think of it as do onto others...

Cops around here love pulling over cars with no/missing tail lights on, and it's amazing how many folks end up in the local paper's police report being tagged for lights and it turns into drug/dui arrests.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Glenn wrote:
hitest wrote:

Seriously?

Wow..... just Wow!

Today there are just too many unstable people wandering free, and it seems many of them are carrying weapons.

A number of years ago I was on the highway and as I was passing an overpass, 2 kids pointed a BB rifle at my car and hit the windshield in 2 spots. Since i was only heading home, i got off at the next exit and doubled back. I parked before the overpass and walked over and grabbed the kid with the rifle. I "persuaded" him to let me drive him home so I could tell his father what her did. His father smacked him and offered to pay for the windshield, I told him i'd go through insurance and he only needs to pay any deductible.

Let's just say the kid was agreeable since the barrel of the rifle was down his pants and he didn't want to get shot in the nads.

it was years ago when getting pulled over for DUI meant the cops just took your keys away.

Agree.... many unstable people. You never know who you're F%&8ing with.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Glenn wrote:
hitest wrote:
This used to bother me too- until I got a laser pointer. Now I'm finding it way more fun to point it at the offenders in a moving car than it is standing still and helping to land commercial aircraft.[/b]

Seriously?

Wow..... just Wow!

A number of years ago I was on the highway and as I was passing an overpass, 2 kids pointed a BB rifle at my car and hit the windshield in 2 spots. Since i was only heading home, i got off at the next exit and doubled back. I parked before the overpass and walked over and grabbed the kid with the rifle. I "persuaded" him to let me drive him home so I could tell his father what her did. His father smacked him and offered to pay for the windshield, I told him i'd go through insurance and he only needs to pay any deductible.

Let's just say the kid was agreeable since the barrel of the rifle was down his pants and he didn't want to get shot in the nads.

it was years ago when getting pulled over for DUI meant the cops just took your keys away.

Nice work Bradford, You got 'em all bunched up and spinnin'!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Glenn wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Glenn wrote:
hitest wrote:
This used to bother me too- until I got a laser pointer. Now I'm finding it way more fun to point it at the offenders in a moving car than it is standing still and helping to land commercial aircraft.[/b]

Seriously?

Wow..... just Wow!

That was years ago when I was young, hot headed and stupid.

Now i'm old and still stupid.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Glenn wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Glenn wrote:
hitest wrote:

Seriously?

Wow..... just Wow!

That was years ago when I was young, hot headed and stupid.

Now i'm old and still stupid.

I was referring to hitest (AKA Bradford) and his ability to stir the shit. But I agree with you, it would seem my stupidity hasn't waned much with age.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
hitest wrote:

Laughing Wink

Thanks Corey- I knew those with the capacity for abstract humor would get it. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Without Headlights! Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
hitest wrote:

Laughing Wink

Thanks Corey- I knew those with the capacity for abstract humor would get it. Smile

Us headcases have to stick together for support.

On a related note, yesterday was a real crappy weather day here in North Idaho. Sloppy, snow/rain mix, with random large puddles and ice patches, and some fog. Saw two sheriff deputies driving around, on the highway, with no headlights. Not even DRL's.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: