Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vent windows not flush?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

I am in the process of putting new rubber seals on my vent windows and after putting on the new rubber the vents do not close all the way. The bottom is nice and tight but the top is not tight and and there is a slight gap. Its definitely not air tight like beetle ads for the car used to claim. Im afraid wind will whistle and water will get in. I have confirmed the rubber is flush everywhere and properly seated. I didnt think to look how flush the window sat before i took it apart. Does this look normal? Is there something else i can do to make it perfectly flush and air tight?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

Mine are like this too. Let me tell you, they’re a pain to open and close; and a pain when you wash because water gets in. Mine are almost a year since install and still stick out.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
downsbs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

Where did you get the seals from? What year car? Have you tried lubing them to get them in and "form" around the window?
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

downsbs1 wrote:
Where did you get the seals from? What year car? Have you tried lubing them to get them in and "form" around the window?

67 bug, the rubber came from Wolfsburg West. I didn't lube them, I used a trim tool to secure them into the channel. Its fully seated. The problem is the latch is at the bottom and it puts enough pressure to make it tight on the bottom but then loses steam about halfway up.
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

Same problem with my 67 with new seals. I just latch the bottom and push the top in as best as I can with my hand. Certainly not air or water tight. Maybe one day they'll settle in with enough pushing (probably not).
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

It's the same with the new seals on my 64. Got them from WW.
Like Kylewadescott's mine is fully seated and when latched it pulls in tight near the latch but the window does start to separate from the post about half way up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

I’m doing the same thing with the same parts from WW to the same year model Beetle right now and experiencing the same thing you are. I will say with the vent window frame reinstalled in the door it seems to help a little with pulling the top of the window in. It’s still not perfect but it’s better than when it was on the bench. As a side note, I used a little Dow Corning #4 to lube the seals and they went in a whole lot easier than dry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

I just did mine on my 66 bug and the wing window sits flush and even all the way top to bottom. I got my seals from West Coast Metric.
The problem I had was the vertical felt seal I got from them that fits in the rear channel for the roll up window did not even come close to fitting the channel. Way, way to narrow and was U shaped. Not even usable. Had to order the channel felt from WW.
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

I have experienced the same thing on previous 67 beetles with the top sticking out and not sealing properly. I tried NOS seals as well as seals from various vendors with the same end result. So as I built the set in the photos, I was not going to leave well enough alone and get to the bottom of the problem. So with that said, I hope I can explain what is did to correct the fitment.

The black metal frame and the aluminum post are riveted together. With the glass removed, I noticed it was extremely east to allow slight twisting of the frame while installing the seal etc... So as you install the vent glass assembly, its missaligned. I made sure the seal was completely seated into the black steel frame. I used silicone spray and worked to drive it deep in to the channel. Second, once the assembly is completely assembled, I opened the glass and forcably gave the frame a twist, to align the glass with the aluminum vertical post. If it fits at the bottom, and is out at the top, while holding the frame with the outside toward you, twist (rotate) the top of the aluminum toward you and the curved portion of the black frame away from you. Basically align the outer frame to align with the glass. It doesn't take much, time and patience. Results my my experience were great. BYW WW seals fit better than my NOS ones.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Jeremy!

I suppose you need the assembly on the bench to warp it into shape, or can it be done with the window frame installed?

One thing I'll add is the upper pivot rivet WW sells is smaller than the stock one, and the fiber thrust washer that comes with it has too big an ID. Together the assembly leaves some play in the pivot which can prevent a good fit.

Any suggestions on a better source for the rivet and washer?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

Yes! Out of the vehicle to shape the frame.

And I also noticed the carbon washer and rivet issue. I was lucky several years ago to find NOS washers and rivets. The vent wings in the photo were built with many NOS parts including the correct glass, latches etc... The aluminum parts were re-bright dip anodized. Not an easy or a cheap process, but happy with the results. Non NOS parts were utilized when aftermarket were determined to be a better fit.

Hope this helps
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
Thanks for sharing Jeremy!

I suppose you need the assembly on the bench to warp it into shape, or can it be done with the window frame installed?

One thing I'll add is the upper pivot rivet WW sells is smaller than the stock one, and the fiber thrust washer that comes with it has too big an ID. Together the assembly leaves some play in the pivot which can prevent a good fit.

Any suggestions on a better source for the rivet and washer?

take the window to a hardware store and find a stainless screw ( metric or std ) with some solid shaft which will tightly fit in that pivot hole. Use a stop nut for installation OR You might be able to use a stainless steel pop rivet after removing the center pull pin and just use a punch to spred it to keep it from falling out. Just get help for holding it in place while riveting it. Glas breaks quick. There is also a special tool for that purpose.

If you park the car outside on the street I would not use the screw + nut option.
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

Ya after trying the bending method, its actually worse now. I probably didnt do it right, but its way worse and after 2 hours of bending I wish i would have left the tiny little gap that was there cause now I can't get it to close at all.
moleman3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

I thought I was the only one with this problem last year when I did this. Goodspeed"s solution sounds good if we haven't put the vent window in yet. I feel in my case anyway that it's the vertical rubber strip that the glass hits when the vent window is closed. Since the car sits for long periods of time I put a small clamp at the top to force the top of the vent window to close straight and tight hoping it will eventually "wear in".[/img]
napgonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

the same story here Very Happy .

have tried my best and still working to make it flush even though I don't take it for long rides.

carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

I restored my 61 in 2014 and they were both like that.
Got mine from WW and was hoping they would compress a little over time.
NOPE, they are still like that no matter how much I fiddled with them.

kylewadescott wrote:
I am in the process of putting new rubber seals on my vent windows and after putting on the new rubber the vents do not close all the way. The bottom is nice and tight but the top is not tight and and there is a slight gap. Its definitely not air tight like beetle ads for the car used to claim. Im afraid wind will whistle and water will get in. I have confirmed the rubber is flush everywhere and properly seated. I didnt think to look how flush the window sat before i took it apart. Does this look normal? Is there something else i can do to make it perfectly flush and air tight?

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: vent windows not flush? Reply with quote

I had somewhat of the same problem, not as much as you, but the vent didn't close completely. I tried heating the rubber with a heat gun and closing the window. It didn't help much. I tried lubing the rubber with dry Teflon - no help. Then I put cornstarch on the rubber and it was like magic. Even after I wiped most of the corn starch off the window closes completely.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: