Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carvana process inquiry
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

Has anybody purchased a vehicle using Carvana that could offer an opinion?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

I have not but they appear to have some struggles with providing titles after the sale.

https://www.wfla.com/8-on-your-side/better-call-be...le-issues/
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
I have not but they appear to have some struggles with providing titles after the sale.

https://www.wfla.com/8-on-your-side/better-call-be...le-issues/

Strike one, thanks.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

Caravana offered me 4400 dollars for a car that sells retail around 9k.

I understand how the game works and they can eat shit and die.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I understand the animosity low balling you on a vehicle you were thinking about trading in or selling outright.

Those ridiculous car vending machines don’t pay for themselves.

I was more interested in the purchase process of a vehicle out of state from them.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I understand how the game works and they can eat shit and die.

AGREE, I submitted an inquiry to see what they would give me for my 2013 Outback 3.6R and all I got for my trouble was a shit offer about $5000 less than what it's worth, and a bunch of spam email.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

I’m not sure what you’d expect? They can’t exactly pay you market value for your car, and then sell it for the same price, while still trying to run the company. Of course they need to get cars at a steep discount. That’s not a deal you wanted, and you weren’t forced to accept the offer. But clearly some people prefer to not deal with the hassle of selling it themselves, and are willing to take less money.
It’s kind of how every business works isn’t it? Buy low and sell high?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

They have a class-action suit against them so...
https://www.classaction.org/news/carvana-hit-with-...cle-titles
Edit: Doh, similar info link already posted above.
Oh well, leaving another link anyway

There's a Carvana office building I bike ride by sometimes, it used to always look super busy with a full parking lot.
Now it's empty most of the time.
I don't know if that's an indicator of bad times for them or if tons of people started working from home.

I checked their website and they have a few of my wife's 2011 Mazda car listed and all 4 are not much less than we paid for it when we bought it used from a private seller with 7K miles in I think late 2012. This seems crazy to me, even given private seller vs. used car place, but used car prices are super high right now (see other thread on that topic)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:
Has anybody purchased a vehicle using Carvana that could offer an opinion?

Last spring, we looked into a vehicle from Carvana: an early 2010s Yukon Denali for Mrs. Cusser. I called their phone number to ask where/where I could see the vehicle.

I was told No, No, No - that's not how it works. Carvana said I need to let software determine the value of our 2005 Yukon, make the deal, and they would deliver the newer Yukon to my home and take away my 2005. So I just "had to ask" what happens if I don't like the vehicle and want my previous vehicle back in the condition it was taken away in. Crickets.

Anyway, I don't see how anyone would want to buy a used vehicle without crawling underneath, test driving, maybe letting their own mechanic take a look-see. So I don't understand how they make money, assuming that they do....

We purchased 2011 from private party in May.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Anyway, I don't see how anyone would want to buy a used vehicle without crawling underneath, test driving, maybe letting their own mechanic take a look-see.

these companies are popping up in the uk - cazooo, cinch, cazam, motorway etc - so there must be a market. people aren't concerned about the greasy bits and probably don't want to put up with the sales banter/haggling. folk are used to buying online, click, click it's sorted and they can always send it back...these are the people who rely on warning lights for washer fluid, oil even air in tyres. the people who pay to have the auto shop fit the new wipers Rolling Eyes

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

finster wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Anyway, I don't see how anyone would want to buy a used vehicle without crawling underneath, test driving, maybe letting their own mechanic take a look-see.

these companies are popping up in the uk - cazooo, cinch, cazam, motorway etc - so there must be a market. people aren't concerned about the greasy bits and probably don't want to put up with the sales banter/haggling. folk are used to buying online, click, click it's sorted and they can always send it back...these are the people who rely on warning lights for washer fluid, oil even air in tyres. the people who pay to have the auto shop fit the new wipers Rolling Eyes

I would never buy a car sight unseen period. I think I’m in the wrong demographic for carvana’s business model
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

Link

“As part of the purchase agreement, you can’t sue them.”

“Local authorities don’t claim jurisdiction when an issue arises.”

“Any claimed PPI performed by the dealer doesn’t extend any sort of warranty to the purchaser.”
(All quotes paraphrased, see video for actual wording.)

Buyer beware!

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I would never buy a car sight unseen period. I think I’m in the wrong demographic for carvana’s business model

I agree, and probably on a car forum like this, almost everyone else would as well. That said, If I were to think of 50 family members or friends off the top of my head, I'll bet you 45 of them would be ok with buying from Carvana. There's a zero % chance any of them would crawl under a car, or even pop the hood for that matter. They simply wouldn't have a clue what they're looking at or looking for. So there is definitely a market for companies like this, and I'm sure they do quite well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

People give financial managers 2% of their life savings to lose money on the markets so no surprise you can run a car vending machine business
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
People give financial managers 2% of their life savings to lose money on the markets so no surprise you can run a car vending machine business

This is getting off the original subject matter, but if you have a financial manager that put all of your life savings in only the markets, then he didn't do any managing at all. A real financial manager will not put all of your eggs in one basket especially since the stock market is volatile. 2% commission on even successful investments is too much. Personally, our manager takes 1% and we have more than doubled our investment in just the last 5 years. Find another manager.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

I'd say my last 6 or 7 cars have been bought sight unseen....well plenty of pictures and videos (if needed) but they were in different states.

All have worked out just fine. Of course it has to be the right car at the right dealer to make it work.

I haven't set foot in a dealership in 15 years?

Oh wait....when I bought my wife her last Mercedes she was unsure if she wanted the GLA, a GLE, or the ML so I had a dealer line up all 3 for a test drive. We figured out she liked the ML and we smiled and thanked them for their time and then I bought one 1300 miles away.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

TDCTDI, great video info. I don't understand how a company cannot be sued based on their contract. Can someone chime in on this? #hatecheaters

TDCTDI wrote:

Link

“Any claimed PPI performed by the dealer doesn’t extend any sort of warranty to the purchaser.”

Buyer beware!

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of unconfirmed claims being read as if they have been investigated and are accurate.

People can claim anything....and its not always true
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

There's a Carvana office building I bike ride by sometimes, it used to always look super busy with a full parking lot.
Now it's empty most of the time.
I don't know if that's an indicator of bad times for them or if tons of people started working from home.

Its shitty times. Every car sales lot including new and used lots are near empty. Theres a carvana tower thing near me and its always just about empty.

Both Ford dealerships... Empty. Chevy... Empty. All 7 used car lots.... empty. The truck and SUV lot near the auction house.... VERY empty. Not only that, bu theyve had the SAME cars and trucks on the lot. The truck and SUV lot literally has had the same 12 trucks for sale. Its been about 2 months since ive taken notice.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Carvana process inquiry Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
TDCTDI, great video info. I don't understand how a company cannot be sued based on their contract. Can someone chime in on this? #hatecheaters

TDCTDI wrote:

Link

Buyer beware!

Usually the form this takes is you are forced to binding arbitration. I use this all the time as it’s a cheap way of getting my clients to pay when they try to abscond. I’ve used it three times in my life, all successfully.

This has no place in a retail - corporate transaction , however.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: