Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle with sport wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottK66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle with sport wheels Reply with quote

FedEx was here this morning. Got all five tires for $409. I think that's pretty good. I can at least get the tires mounted on the wheels, although the spare is still in the car and the car is still at the repair shop. At least I can have them ready to go on when I get it back.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle with sport wheels Reply with quote

ScottK66 wrote:
FedEx was here this morning. Got all five tires for $409. I think that's pretty good.

That's a very good deal- where did you order them?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
ScottK66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle with sport wheels Reply with quote

I got them from TireAmerica.com. I got a $20 discount which helped.
ScottK66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle with sport wheels Reply with quote

My very tired looking original spare tire. It was retired today and will be replaced with one of the new tires I bought once I get the wheel cleaned up and repainted. The size was 6.00 x 15. When you see a tire that says "tubeless" you know it's been around for a while.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle with sport wheels Reply with quote

Quote:
When you see a tire that says "tubeless" you know it's been around for a while.

Actually, even brand new current production radials typically still say "tubeless" on the sidewall.
ScottK66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle with sport wheels Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

Actually, even brand new current production radials typically still say "tubeless" on the sidewall.[/quote]

Didn't realize that. It's been so long since they've put tubes in car tires, I figured the fact that they were tubeless was a given. I just went outside and looked at one of the tires on my Mazda. Yep, you're right. It says tubeless. You learn something new every day.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle with sport wheels Reply with quote

Up until maybe 5-6 years ago I still had the Western Auto spare tire in my bug that my dad bought sometime around the early 80s. Kind of wish I still had it

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle with sport wheels Reply with quote

The square weight is a dead giveaway that the Continental 6.00-15L spare is most likely original to the car.
ScottK66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle with sport wheels Reply with quote

My tire saga is done now for the most part. I refinished the used set of wheels I recently purchased, got the new tires mounted and, to top them off, added new trim rings and center caps. The old tires, while appearing to be new, were actually manufactured the 51st week of '06. The original wheels looked good at a glance, but closer inspection revealed that they weren't. It looks like someone just painted over a set of wheels with rust issues and did very little, if any, prep work to them. To make them nice, they would have needed to be media blasted and painted. It was a project I didn't want to get into which is why I bought the other set of wheels. I junked the tires and got $20 for the wheels. It isn't much, but it probably would have been a lot of hassle and effort to find a buyer for them and I probably wouldn't have gotten that much more for them. All I have left to do now is get the spare mounted and balanced. Thanks to everyone for their input.
Jerkstore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle with sport wheels Reply with quote

ScottK66 wrote:
It was a project I didn't want to get into which is why I bought the other set of wheels.

Where did you find sport rims in such good condition? I'm looking everywhere with no luck -- tho BugCity has some that would need to be blasted and powdered.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: