Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Further idle troubleshooting
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

I've done a few things to get the poor idle right, but still have issues with high and wandering idle on my 89 Syncro Doka with a DJ and Digijet.

I've cleaned the air filter housing and inspected the Idle Control unit, it all looks good.

I removed the throttle body and cleaned with parts cleaner. It looks pretty good and no obvious signs of wear. No loose shaft, no real light showing thru. Replaced the gasket and put it back on. Also did a new throttle cable and return spring. I adjusted it as shown in the tech video with a meter as well.

The ICV doesn't make any noise or vibrate but has some voltage at the connection but if I understand correctly this should be variable? So I took the ICV off and connected to 12 volts. It snapped open. I also cleaned and blew it out.

All this had little effect on idle. The cleaned throttle body is smoother though. Turning the big screw on the TB seems to have little effect, although turning it clockwise a little more than one turn might have decreased it a hundred or so. Engine still idles mostly at 1800 and will dip and come back every 10 seconds or so. A little lower RPM when first started.

So what should be next in diagnosing it? I've read many pages of posts but still not clear on the order of things to do next. Have no desire to throw new parts if not needed but will do what I have to do.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:

The ICV doesn't make any noise or vibrate but has some voltage at the connection but if I understand correctly this should be variable? So I took the ICV off and connected to 12 volts. It snapped open. I also cleaned and blew it out.

Try a good ICV and module, borrow one from someone. I bet the one you have is not operating correctly. Just because it can open does not mean the system is working properly.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

Check out this video from Tencentlife about checking the AFM.

Link

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

Try sticking a 1-1/4" vacuum cleaner hose into the exhaust and blowing air back up into the exhaust. This might help you find any leaks giving the O2 sensor false readings.
Hide the vacuum cleaner behind the rear passenger tire so you can hear a leak and not the vacuum cleaner!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Try sticking a 1-1/4" vacuum cleaner hose into the exhaust and blowing air back up into the exhaust. This might help you find any leaks giving the O2 sensor false readings.
Hide the vacuum cleaner behind the rear passenger tire so you can hear a leak and not the vacuum cleaner!

No O2 sensor.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
jAndrew wrote:

Try a good ICV and module, borrow one from someone. I bet the one you have is not operating correctly. Just because it can open does not mean the system is working properly.

No one around here with one to borrow. I suppose I will purchase one, it's the least expensive part to throw at it.

I would think that since turning the screw on the TB does nothing might give a clue something is not right with it, but that is just a guess.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

I also disconnected the hoses from the ICV and blocked the openings in the air box and the other below the ICV but that did nothing.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

Have you tried disconnecting and bypassing the idle control system?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Neil.

Should I just unplug that or do more to bypass? Unplugging at the air filter housing causes it to doe. Unplugging the ICV seems to do nothing as well.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

Does the DJ have an idea control unit behind the rear right tail light?

The signal that the IACV gets is a pulse with modulation (PWM) that the unit sends to it. That means it turns on and off and changes the time is is on in relation to the time it is off.

In idle, it has a PWM of roughly 32%. That means 32% of the time it is on and the rest it is off. This happens at 150hz (150 times a second). So it is fast. Hence, the valve feels like it is vibrating or humming.

When the Idle Air Control Unit behind the rear tail light goes bad, it will do weird things.

If you want to test it properly (the manual has a test you can run on it but it's simple) then you need a scope.

The green shows you the PWM signal the unit is sending out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

I have a known good spare ICV from a MV you can borrow.

I had a similar issue with the fluctuating/high idle a few years back. In the end, I found that the timing was too advanced. This freaked out the ECU I guess. My problem only surfaced with when the AC was turned on.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Neil.

Should I just unplug that or do more to bypass? Unplugging at the air filter housing causes it to doe. Unplugging the ICV seems to do nothing as well.

I was going to suggest a more involved method but did a little reading. Try this first:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...it#8844644

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:
I have a known good spare ICV from a MV you can borrow.

I had a similar issue with the fluctuating/high idle a few years back. In the end, I found that the timing was too advanced. This freaked out the ECU I guess. My problem only surfaced with when the AC was turned on.

Thanks for the kind offer. I will check a couple other things and go from there.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
jAndrew wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Neil.

I was going to suggest a more involved method but did a little reading. Try this first:

Neil.

Thanks Neil, So when I blocked off the valve, the T to the case, and the 2 hoses to the air box it idles well, right at about 1050 RPM and seems happy there.

So what does that tell me? The ICV is indeed not working as it should, or the Idle Control Unit?
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
Does the DJ have an idea control unit behind the rear right tail light?

It does indeed. Thanks for sharing the graphic.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

Just so we're clear on terms used, by "air box" do you mean the S shaped hose between air filter box and throttle body?

Does the engine idle better (~ 1050 RPM) with just one of the ISV hoses closed off?

Try clamping off just that "T" hose or hose between S shaped hose and ISV.

Don't clamp off the second hose between crank case breather "tower" and S hose.

Neil.

jAndrew wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Neil.

Thanks Neil, So when I blocked off the valve, the T to the case, and the 2 hoses to the air box it idles well, right at about 1050 RPM and seems happy there.

So what does that tell me? The ICV is indeed not working as it should, or the Idle Control Unit?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

Yes, sorry, the ones that go to the S shaped hose.

I'll try clamp just the one and see.
Vanagon Nut wrote:
Just so we're clear on terms used, by "air box" do you mean the S shaped hose between air filter box and throttle body?

Does the engine idle better (~ 1050 RPM) with just one of the ISV hoses closed off?

Neil.

jAndrew wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Neil.

jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

Now, with the breather hose back in place and the other hose closed, as well and just the bottom where the T hose, it idles a bit lower at around 950.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle trouble shooting Reply with quote

I'm not sure if a failed oil breather tower (crank case breather) would contribute to a poor idle. Just wanted to leave that part out of the testing for now.

If closing off just the ISV hose brings idle down, no surging, that doesn't mean the fault lies at the ISV. Those idle symptoms could be due to idle control module or, a combination of things.

Tencentlife, along with others, have posted a bunch of info on these parts. I'm not certain of test procedures to determine if the ISV or ICU is at fault. Sometimes, a visual inspection of ICU innards can confirm if that part has failed. There are test procedures shown in Bentley to measure current draw (duty cycle) of the ISV.

Part of the problem with idle can be the order in which someone does the tests and adjustments. They have to be done in the right order.

Neil.

jAndrew wrote:
I'll try clamp just the one and see.

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

Ok so with all hoses installed, if either the T hose or other longer hose connected to ISV are closed, the idle is 950?

jAndrew wrote:
Now, with the breather hose back in place and the other hose closed, as well and just the bottom where the T hose, it idles a bit lower at around 950.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: