Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

Has anyone devised a way to definitively clean, seal, and mount grounds? I'm talking about:

- Replacing the eyelet grounds in the engine bay with something sealed and hard mounted.
- Any creative solution for the engine ground strap and the trans ground strap.
- Replacing the two ground tree's under the dash with some kind of sealed connector.

I am growing weary of cleaning/cutting and crimping on new eyelets/ replacing ground straps. It would be nice to have this done and done so in a way that lasts more than a few years. Plus cutting the wires to replace the eyelets is going to eventually lead to needing to splice longer lengths of wires onto the original wire.

Any thoughts? Has anyone done an update to modernize grounds? If so, can you share what you did and how maintenance free it has been? [/list]
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

Sodo will be along any minute
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

Bad grounds burn up bearings

A couple of properly mounted bus bars would do the trick. The ground crowns under the dash would be where I start.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

Wrong or right, I scraped back the paint under the ground stars. I also cleaned up each male contact though they weren't too bad. I swear my wipers move faster and dash lights are brighter.

Neil.

This is what the paint under each ground star near fuse panel looked like. I assume this is "factory". Rain water was likely getting in which likely fouled the screw threads. The bottom of each star has pointed bits that afaik, are supposed to bite past paint into metal. Each screw was pretty damn tight.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

I converted the anchor bolts for grounding to anchor studs in the engine compartment. A stud with a nut to secure the eyelets is a lot easier to deal with when you maintenance the grounds. Also, you gain a little bit more grounding surface.

I cleaned the wheel well side of the captured nut.

A lot of the grounding finds ground through the threads so cleaning up with a tap was important. Note corroded eyelet that needs to be replaced.

Inserted 6mm x 30mm bolts with star washers. Will paint later to protect from corrosion.

On the inside a flat washer and nut secured/tightened after removing paint for more direct grounding surface. This nut acts as a "jam-nut" to secure the bolt from spinning when you remove the outer nut to clean the eyelets.

Much easier checkout ,remove and clean or replace eyelets.

Don't know if there is a way to permanently protect from corrosion...unless you go with gold or silver. Laughing

Last edited by slo356 on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

For my aux battery system, I sanded to bare per a normal sheet metal drill-and-ground addition but also installed a riv-nut instead of just doing bolt, washer, nut.

I really really like this. In every way, it's a solider connection. I did my alt-to-ground addition using regular hardware and would re-do using a riv-nut if the opportunity arose.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Bad grounds burn up bearings

Bearings can pass starter amperage for years.
It doesn't cause immediate failure.

And what are unexplained starter problems - if not endearing?
If forums discovered everything, there would be nothing to talk about after 10, 15 years.

-----------------

I put in a new rebuilt transaxle in 2016.
Discovered grounding problems in 2018, and added a proper ground at that time (so 2 years of bad grounding thru the transaxle).
The trans lasted 20,000 miles after that, (making bearing noise in 2021)
But this is the transaxle ground path, not the ground tree under the dash.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:
I converted the anchor bolts for grounding to anchor studs in the engine compartment.

Put stainless bolts at least Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

I smear most all ground connections with dielectric grease prior to assembly and maybe add some more after everything is back together.
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
slo356 wrote:
I converted the anchor bolts for grounding to anchor studs in the engine compartment.

Thanks AlikaT3, I originally was going all stainless steel hardware (~$15us for 2-bolts, 6-nuts and 6-washers) but checked conductivity ratings. Cad-plated steel transports electricity a bit better than stainless steel, so I went cad-plated rather than stainless.
Beerden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:
slo356 wrote:

Thanks AlikaT3, I originally was going all stainless steel hardware (~$15us for 2-bolts, 6-nuts and 6-washers) but checked conductivity ratings. Cad-plated steel transports electricity a bit better than stainless steel, so I went cad-plated rather than stainless.

I concur!
I too converted grounds to stainless steel studs (use a bolt of generous length), with stainless washers as separators and stainless double nuts at the end of the stud. Everything is coated with dielectric silicon grease, especially in the engine compartment.

Before the studs were put in, I thread tapped the holes to clean out the rust and put a gob of that grease in the holes before threading in the post.

There was a noticeable improvement in everything electrical including engine reliability after doing this.
1987 Syncro Westy Canadian model body and interior restored. Color change, was Flash Silver Metallic (LP7Y) and is now Tungsten (Wolfram) Gray Metallic (LH7V) with charcoal carpet instead of grey carpet. White poptop and original grey canvas. Inherited it in very denty condition from my grandfather who drove it until he was 90.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

The wbx engine grounds are a known weakness on the system, well maintained grounds are critical. Stainless galling and galvanic corrosion are real. The stainless hardware are soft and will shear but be very difficult to drill due to it's properties, zinc coated hardware are best used for the job.
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:
I converted the anchor bolts for grounding to anchor studs in the engine compartment. A stud with a nut to secure the eyelets is a lot easier to deal with when you maintenance the grounds. Also, you gain a little bit more grounding surface.

This looks like something I need to do for the grounds in the engine bay!

I'm looking for the overkill approach here. Would it be stupid to run all the wires through one of these style of rubber boots (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BL4S5YJ/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_2_dp), crimp on new eyelets, fill the boot with dielectric grease and stretch it over the nut at the base of the stud?
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

Great info here.

Just a quick note that dielectric grease is non-conductive silicone grease for protecting the outside of terminals and connections from corrosion.
My understanding is that using it between contacts can result in poor connections. YMMV

Naturally, one can find a wide spectrum of opinions about this on the interwebs.
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
Great info here.

Just a quick note that dielectric grease is non-conductive silicone grease for protecting the outside of terminals and connections from corrosion.
My understanding is that using it between contacts can result in poor connections. YMMV

Naturally, one can find a wide spectrum of opinions about this on the interwebs.

So the best bet would be to assemble everything and then smother it all in dielectric grease and then stretch on the grease filled boot.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
Just a quick note that dielectric grease is non-conductive silicone grease

Agreed it sounds like strange thing to put on a 'conductive connection'. But the name just means it can't "leak" current to other pins (perhaps inside a connector).

Or another example, if you put dielectric grease on a 1.5v AA battery terminal, you can know that it won't leak current to the battery's case thus draining the battery.

It's a litle bit unfortunate (for our purposes here) that it sounds like it "impedes connection".

Air is non-conductive as well for example.
The tightened nut presses the metal together for current flow.

Putting dielectric grease in the connection fills all the voids, even excluding air, and more importantly,
ensuring that moisture-laden air water or water has no place to 'hang out' inside your connection.
...and cause corrosion that disrupts the metal-to-metal connection.

Grounds are not all that complicated.
They should be simple, direct, home-runs, of similar size to the 12v+ part of the path..
Daisy-chaining groundconnection-to-groundconnection-to groundconnection can work but is considered 'bad form'.
But if its inspectable, maintainable, and a 100% connection, extra connections can be dealt with.
You cannot get better than 100%.

Choosing a dry location that is easily inspectable, easy to restore to 100%.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
Great info here.

Still waiting for this fake information to rear its ugly head, beings as how I have been using grease dielectric or otherwise for 40+ years at this point, I don't think I am apt to live long enough to ever witness it happening. If you have some kind of plugs in low voltage-low amperage connection where the pressures between mating contacts are very low like the plugs for the AFM or ECU, you might want to use something out of a spray can from an electrical supply house, but for any kind of connection with decent pressures the chances of dielectric grease preventing contact is very low.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

I believe the silicone is just filling existing voids in the connectors to keep out moisture and air. An electrical contact would still provide a direct conductor to conductor pathway in the same manner with or without the silicone filling the voids. I've been using it for decades without any detrimental effects I'm aware of at this time.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:

Beautiful! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate Ground Solution - Anyone modernize grounds? Reply with quote

The title of this thread makes me scratch my head.......
exactly what is a "Modern Ground"?

I did some wiring add on ti my late teens Prius awhile back.
The grounding method of choice?
Screw eyes on the wire ends and screws into the body.

I do wonder how wide spread VW's "ground tree" methodology is.

Anyway........
We have launched into cleaning and examining various methods of connecting grounds.
But a bolt, washers and nuts are hardly "modern".
Covering connections with a moisture barrier is far from modern too.

Even the suggestion of using "modern" alloys has pretty much been shot down.

Don't get me wrong, the thread is great!
The shiny clean connection porn photos are inspiring!

The title?
Not so much. 😂😂

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: