Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front wider than rear
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:21 am    Post subject: front wider than rear Reply with quote

OK, I changed the front drum of mu 1970 bug to discs. Now it is about 20mm 3/4" wider than the rear. Anyon have any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Feral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: front wider than rear Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: front wider than rear Reply with quote

That is exactly what happens. There is a sticky about this at the top.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: front wider than rear Reply with quote

Yeah, what he said. On the plus side, this extra width will give you better stability, both in the curves and on the straights. The down side is that the extra width is all in the scrub radius, which can make the steering feel a bit heavy. It can also make it difficult to stuff the front tires under the fenders.

But the better braking performance of the discs and the increased stability are well worth it, in my opinion.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: front wider than rear Reply with quote

An idea that may be of interest , I would have to do a little research to confirm but I think the type 3 rear brake drums may add about that much back to the rear width. As I remember they add about 3/4 on each side. Changing from standard to type 3 rear drums really helped the equalize the braking on my baja with disc front brakes.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: front wider than rear Reply with quote

When I have installed front disc brakes on standard Bugs, I always narrow the beam by 2 inches. That allows for the extra width and wider tires! I love 175 or 185 up front!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: front wider than rear Reply with quote

Newcastle NSW or UK?

My RHD Euro 68 came with standard VW discs on a standard width front beam. Why would it be an issue? VW designed the car for discs. I wouldn’t worry.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: front wider than rear Reply with quote

Maybe the palm tree and the paling fence tells me NSW?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: front wider than rear Reply with quote

I just checked my Bentley and the difference between the drum and disc brake track is 6mm with the disc brake front end widerAT MAX WEIGHT. It only goes up to 69, but I don't think the 70 was any different.

If you are trying to measure the pan without any weight in it, then understand the track WILL change as you add mass to the back end. That is, the rear camber will become more positive and INCREASE your back end track.

I don't think you need to worry. Put the body back on with the engine and remeasure.
Feral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: front wider than rear Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. Yes Newcastle NSW.
I wont worry about it then. It is just me pedantic.
I will drop the body on and see how it all fits.
I have to run the brake lines next.
Cheers
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: front wider than rear Reply with quote

Dog reminds me of the one in the original early 1930's "The Little Rascals" where "Breezy" Brisbane pulls the curved tail of his dog and says "now Pointer, I want you to hold your tail straight!".
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: front wider than rear Reply with quote

Not sure how and where you measured, but it looks like your alignment is way off. You can rum 185 tires under stock fender with the correct off-set.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: