Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 VW Steering wheel replacement to older models
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lizs5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: 74 VW Steering wheel replacement to older models Reply with quote

After years of searching to find my 74 VW Ghia and the years being spent on getting to rebuild it, one problem exists that I would like to get some feedback upon. That is, how can I go about and replace the plastic steering wheel to an older style OEM? Has anyone done this? Since the whole shaft is out all the way to the steering box, I am starting from scratch.

Welcome your feedback!
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 VW Steering wheel replacement to older models Reply with quote

If you want a 59-71 one (the one with the half ring), theoretically you can bolt it up, the problem is the wiper stalk (it collides with the wheel spokes).

So either you shorten the stalk, or go aftermarket. I did this to a bug and it worked, but you could see on the stalk that it was modified. Maybe welding it and grinding away the excess works better.

It seems that some company (I forgot, maybe Flat4?) specifically makes an old-style wheel for the newer cars after 72 but don't have any experience with that.

I mounted a 55-57 steering wheel on mine, but only with major modifications so a wheel hub (and 3D printed cover), to make it fit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lizs5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 74 VW Steering wheel replacement to older models Reply with quote

Vlad, first off, GEORGEOUS! Well done. I'll take your suggestions and see what I can do to get an aftermarket wheel here. As this design is exactly what I am looking for. Again, great work and keep the suggestions coming!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: