Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how long has your gas water heater lasted?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long has your gas water heater lasted you
0-5 years
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
5-10 years
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
10-15 years
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
15-20 years
24%
 24%  [ 10 ]
20+
48%
 48%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 41

nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

You want to change it out before it floods - Laughing

It is not that expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Nick, We'er In the 'Hills' ,,nearest water (Thunder Bay River) is 500 ft. below us Wink Laughing
My coz is a Plumber ,so he drop by and gave me a 'Mixing Valve" also helped me slap in some 45* fittings and take out the 90*'s for better flow,, gonna look at my three turbo motors Maybe I can eliminate some 90*'s on them Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

My Best Man in our Wedding was a Welder, I sure miss him Crying or Very sad but good news,
His Son is A top notch Welder,so guess who is Building my Stainless Steel Water Jacket,(lives south of Detroit)He was up here Turkey hunting with his two sons so He took measurement yesterday ,and I had a nice sheet of Cold rolled stainless laying around Wink I ask how looooong will this take to make? told me a week Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

I have a hydronic system in my home in Nebraska - that boiler never failed me. It has some age to it but quite sturdy. I love that type of baseboard heating in my home..no dust too.

The old man engineer who lived in that house had passed. When I bought the home from him, he walked me thru the maintenance of the system. I have learned few more things since then. Now, I am ready to replace it if in case.

I already changed out the water heater and I do regular flushing every year.

In my other home where I live now in VA, the original water heater burst and flooded my basement a little. Good thing we were only gone for the day. I felt the extra humidity and was curious so I went down the basement and saw a leak sprung up on its side.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Welder called exactly one week later Shocked told me he didn't have time to test it Laughing He mailed it , I worked on it all Morning ,test was good Wink now to sweat all the fittings
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

We had 'Free' hot water for 4 days and then,, water jacket sprung a lil' leak 3 pin holes ,put the fire out right quick too Crying or Very sad(we figured to much pressure blew it)a friend was up here for a visit so he took it back and the Welder fixed it,,, re-installed today and had a few copper sweat fittings leak Evil or Very Mad ,, this time with a pump an a expansion tank too Wink It's been hot for a couple hours now so ,,so-far-so good Laughing Anything I can do to this farm to help us get off grid,,,

Cheers,Mike
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Had my "welder' fab up a new Bladder 1/4" Stainless Steel,old one was 3/16" which he fixed once and it leaked again,It was just too thin of stainless

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

So far so good, we have 'Free Hot Water' Laughing
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

thats awesome! i woudl have used 3/8ths for good measure and better insulation, but im sure 1/4 will be ok, what are you storing the hot water in? and what are you using to circulate the water? this is progress.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Had my gas water heater serviced today. It's a 2002. So 20 years old. Little bit of sediment washed out, no rust. So hopefully it will keep doing its thing for a few more years. Wanted heaters sure got expensive lately.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Last house history was

1992-2005
2005-2018

That’s with a quarterly flush of sediment for 10 minutes, 8 showers daily

In 2018 I went to tankless.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Thanks Outcast, I use a Grundfos circulating Pump (3 photo's up) For storage I have a new 40 Gal. electric water heater tank just not 'Hooked up' Wink

Cheers,Mike
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

My AO Smith electronic ignition system (or automatic) style model lasted under 5 years and finally sprung an internal leak from constantly starting the pilot. I had the gas company and 2 technicians check everything out before the leak occurred but I was expecting it based on advice. AO Smith offered a new replacement but would have less than 1 year left on the warrantee. The install was expensive so I bought a new model with full warrantee. I had the recommendation from my HVAC company (I've had for over 30 years) to get a Rheem brand. The model delivered is an old style with out the electronic ignition system, not that that matters.

The most important part of the story is that one technician who found the leak said the dust from the cat litter box which was 8-10 foot away was the prime reason for the unit to fail in the first place. I was happy to solve the problem and relocated the litter box to inside the closet. I also switched back to the heavy style cat litter because the lightweight brand for my crappy back has a very high dust output.

My water heater thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

I was price anchored in old prices of 40 gallon gas water heaters at $350-400, they are $600 now. I bet the payback schedule for tankless is even faster now.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Hard water up here , plugs them Tankless heaters, once a month my buddy cleans his Rolling Eyes He don't want a soft water system eather.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: