Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
77Campmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed Reply with quote

My pillar and everything surrounding it was completely rusted out. I probably should have been more strategic in my repair and left more of it intact as I went but I'm beyond that now. The entire a-pillar was removed from just below the lower hinge down.

I purchsed Schofield's 3-piece A-pillar repair panels but they don't line up correctly with the remaining body metal. The flanges come up short and or the bends are off, it's a nice looking 3-piece set but it just isn't fitting.

Anyone do a complete a-pillar rebuild that could shed some light on the process? Pictures and dimensions would be helpful too. I have my new dog log test fit in pretty well so I just need to get the a-pillar sorted now so I can finish it.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow showing the issues.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed Reply with quote

Hinges? An A-pillar is the roof support to the left or right of the windshield.

Are you talking about the door frame?

EDIT: I think you mean A-Post
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed Reply with quote

here, right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i only had to replace the inner-most piece, so i bent up some pieces to fit and welded them in. sounds like your up against multiple layers of rot.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed Reply with quote

This is how you need to support the nose before cutting it off. But maybe it's too late in your case.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed Reply with quote

The Schofields pieces arent perfect, but that is the price you pay for thicker metal - it cannot curve round such tight bends.

I minimised the amount I had to chop off the A pillar..
This shows my chopping en-route to fitting Schofields replacements.

And after - the fit is not perfect but better than a rusty hole.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77Campmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
Hinges? An A-pillar is the roof support to the left or right of the windshield.

Are you talking about the door frame?

EDIT: I think you mean A-Post

Yes, A-Pillar/A-Post whichever you prefer, it is all one continuous piece from the bottom to the top from the factory. I am only looking at the bottom 6 inches or so which rusted out.
77Campmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
here, right?

i only had to replace the inner-most piece, so i bent up some pieces to fit and welded them in. sounds like your up against multiple layers of rot.

Yes exactly. Is yours still exposed like this or have you repaired further? I could use the two measurements shown. From the bottom edge of the hinge to the bottom of the post and the width of the bottom post from the flange to the back face.

EDIT: Just realized you have a different hinge than I do so the height may not measure the same. From what I can tell so far it is somewhere between 5 and 5.5 inches just trying to narrow it down.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

This is how you need to support the nose before cutting it off. But maybe it's too late in your case.

I didn’t support mine when I removed my ‘79’s nose and it all went back together with no problems.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194787

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77Campmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

I didn’t support mine when I removed my ‘79’s nose and it all went back together with no problems.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194787

I'm not removing the nose or the a-pillars/posts. I am only repairing the post below the bottom hinge and all other panels that join it. Thanks
77Campmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed Reply with quote

I think I made a little progress today but so far I have had to cut up and reshape/size these schofield repair panels a bit. Everything is only getting tacked in or cleco'd until I can fit all of the panels together including the wheel arch and bumper parts. If I have to I will remove pieces again once aligned in order to finish welding.

Here is the outer a-pillar section fit up. This needs to be co-planer with the whole a-pillar so check well with a straight edge. Also the bottom section of the pillar sweeps backwards aprox. 4 degrees just above the bottom of the hinge. There is a black sharpie mark right about where this bend starts.

I had to cut off the front flange on the outer pillar section as it did not align with the existing metal. I sectioned about an 1/8 out of it and tacked it back on as shown by the three tack welds here. The bottom plate is test fitted with clamps but I think it is too far towards the bumper maybe?

Should this bottom plate mate up with the front lip of the bumper as shown in this pic? It seems to leave the outer pillar section overhanging the flange quite a bit.

The inner pillar panel doesn't line up well at all, it seems the bends in the panel are not quite right maybe, I'm not sure yet as it still needs some trimming. This was just a quick fit as the last thing I did today. In order to line up with the outer edge of the nose skin there is a large gap to the outer pillar at the flange.

Couple additional pics:

Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed Reply with quote

looks like you got it figured out. mine is off an early ‘76 and you noticed they have different hinges, but the length to the bottom of your post should be the same. im home from work tomorrow late and can measure up anything you need before you final weld if needed. i would assume that even if the hinges are slightly different, that the measurement from a reference point higher up would work too.

i could clamp a straight edge off the bumper frame and measure down from there. mine is still doorless, so easy-peasy.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed Reply with quote

are the Schofields replacement panel the same thickness like the factory or thicker?
77Campmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: A-Pillar Repair/Replacement Help Needed Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
are the Schofields replacement panel the same thickness like the factory or thicker?

They seem to be thicker than the stock metal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: