Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Watching welding videos with my morning coffee.
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:12 am    Post subject: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

I always enjoy watching Fitzee's Fabrication videos. I love how he doesn't use "fancy tools" and he works without a paper template. Simply put, he fabricates old school IMHO.

I'm looking forward to trying out some of these tips this spring. He is my favorite metal shop teacher. My only concern is the noise produced from my tiny property. However I'm sure it is not as bad as the lawn services that infiltrate this tiny block daily. Too bad they can't schedule only certain days for lawn services so we can leave town. I'd schedule my metal work on those days Wink

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

If you live in a HMO community or in a highly regulated town, you may be looking at problems from doing metalwork at your home.

You might check before investing.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

Karl Fisher's channel on YouTube, Make It Kustom, is another must-watch:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MakeItKustom

I don't think electrickery works that way
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
If you live in a HMO community or in a highly regulated town, you may be looking at problems from doing metalwork at your home.

You might check before investing.

Years ago when my Sister was alive, my brother-in-law had issues with the next door neighbor.
I remember him telling me about it, not what the issue was.
Anyway I noticed that every time we had dinner on the back deck,
the neighbor cranked up, and ran his Tile Saw.
A year later when I came to visit again the neighbor was still running his Tile Saw.
My point is that in tight living conditions everything you do affects the folks around you,
and there are times when folks just don't want hear power tools.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

Last week my neighbor decided to burn leaves and the wind shifted so that we got smoked out so to speak. That’s almost as bad as me using impact gun with my garage doors open. We’ve all known each better than 20 years. When neighbors know each they make allowances😀. More on topic though my Buddy Tim wanted to learn welding so he went to a week long class offered by Lincoln at the factory. He came back to us a good welder.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I always enjoy watching Fitzee's Fabrication videos. I love how he doesn't use "fancy tools" and he works without a paper template. Simply put, he fabricates old school IMHO.

I'm looking forward to trying out some of these tips this spring. He is my favorite metal shop teacher. My only concern is the noise produced from my tiny property. However I'm sure it is not as bad as the lawn services that infiltrate this tiny block daily. Too bad they can't schedule only certain days for lawn services so we can leave town. I'd schedule my metal work on those days Wink

Link

Screw the HOA. It is a free country, do what you need to do to be happy! I always try and keep my noise levels down as low and short as possible. I fully sound proofed my garage. You only hear my grinder if you are next to my garage door, and then I have you on camera!

Insulate, sound proof and screw those that bitch! They are just jealous morons!

My 2 cents!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

With so many working from home noise is a larger issue than it used to be.
Me? I won't run power tools or mowers outside before 9am or after 4 on weekends. Weekdays, more like 8 to 5.

The yahoo next door has gas powered everything with no mufflers; his seemly favorite activity it "tune" his shit at high revs and no matter what they all sound the same after. Cars, outboard engines, 2 stroke chainsaws, you name it.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

I think I'll work on insulating my garage so I can get some work done this spring. Yes I'm always good with the time of use too. Perhaps I'll just keep it short and sweet, or while the leaf blowers and commercial lawn mowers are out in full force. I've been very fortunate with zero complaints in well over 23 years.

I love this one too. His description of work is simple and to the point. I have a little British car that I've looked at small holes for 15 or more years now which I'll use his techniques.

Link

my59 wrote:
With so many working from home noise is a larger issue than it used to be.
Me? I won't run power tools or mowers outside before 9am or after 4 on weekends. Weekdays, more like 8 to 5.

The yahoo next door has gas powered everything with no mufflers; his seemly favorite activity it "tune" his shit at high revs and no matter what they all sound the same after. Cars, outboard engines, 2 stroke chainsaws, you name it.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

Look up copper backing thin welds, L.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

I was just watching Wray Schelien comparing TIG welding techniques.

Link

Which made me go out & buy a planishing hammer. Confused

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

Yes I've heard of them and hope to try this one out but, how does this welders magnetic copper backer attach to metal?

Link

Abscate wrote:
Look up copper backing thin welds, L.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

i bot some from eastwood and the copper plate has rare earth magnets at thye corners that are flush glued in so the piece sits flush on panels . used it on my quarter panel repair only problem is that I rushed the weld as i was not burning through with the copper and got too much heat in t he panel. I then learned about shrinking discs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

Thanks ghianowbug, make a lot of sense. What is the best way not to burn through to that copper? What happens when you burn the copper?

ghianowbug wrote:
i bot some from eastwood and the copper plate has rare earth magnets at thye corners that are flush glued in so the piece sits flush on panels . used it on my quarter panel repair only problem is that I rushed the weld as i was not burning through with the copper and got too much heat in t he panel. I then learned about shrinking discs.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

The copper just goes black. The copper really prevents burnthrough and allows a good weld . Without the copper i always had a couple burnthroughs . Just remember when doing a large panel dont try to do a continuous weld better to make small tacks and cool between . I use compressed air to cool works well. Fitzy has great videos to show how to stitch weld. I also use some copper plate that I bot at the metal superstore which I use clamps or vice grips if possible. Try the copper on some scrap metal to make a butt weld and you will be pleased.

Last edited by ghianowbug on Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

ghianowbug wrote:
The copper just goes black. The copper really prevents burnthrough and allows a good weld . Without the copper i always had a couple burnthroughs . Just remember when doing a large panel dont try to do a continuous weld better to make small tacks and cool between . I use compressed air to cool works well. Fitzy has great videos to show how. I also use some copper plate that I bot at the metal superstore which I use clamps or vice grips if possible. Try the copper on some scrap metal to make a butt weld and you will be pleased.

Well said. For a few years, I have been relying on 2 1/4” x 1 1/2” x 12” long copper bars. They are great to clamp to, because they are rigid. They can be bent to match the curves of the top, hood or fenders. They are long enough to get several stitches in the seam, with lots of cool air blowing on the backside. I got 2 bars off of Amazon for $16. Not expensive, and SO WORTH IT!!!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

I am hunting for my first Plasma cutter now. I have always had welders - cannot live without them.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
I am hunting for my first Plasma cutter now. I have always had welders - cannot live without them.

Get a cheap one, they work good.

I recently bought one for the first time, only $250 on Amazon and it does tig and stick welding too. Honeslty it works great. I expect I'll get years out of it. No need to spend 2 grand. Atleast for me

I do noisy work in my garage on the regular. If my neighbors don't like it they can deal with it. That's my opinion... sorry
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

I want something that will cut 1" thick steel plate - there is one closer to me in PA. Hope I get it - this one does 3/4" steel plate used. This should suffice for now.

This year is lots of home improvements for me so not too much getting new machines.

I am looking at a full size TIG 350 AMP Lincoln so I can retire my 250AMP or give it to my brother.

im looking for a large mill too.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

I had a friend GIVE me a plasma cutter, just a cheep Harbor Freight one, he could not get it to work, for $200 I shipped it to a guy in Maryland ?? Came back & worked fine.

I learned to weld in High School, one of the better skills I learned there, when I graduated from Culinary school, my wife bought me a Oxy/Acc. torch set up (what every gear head Chef needs) 10 years later I bought a Mig welder, nice little Millermatic . It's nice to have the right tools to work in the Garage with.
I taught my son to use the welder when he was 10, got to pass on the skills.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Watching welding videos with my morning coffee. Reply with quote

The beauty of home welding is we have forever compared to one in the trade. If you are billing at $150 an hour, you need thst job done so you can get to the next job.

I can plop and stitch and go to bed if I get bored.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: