Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'72 Ghia Convert Seat Reclining Mechanism
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: '72 Ghia Convert Seat Reclining Mechanism Reply with quote

Dear Members,

After I replaced my seat covers, I found out my reclining mechanism is not working. I thought it works before I pulled it out of the car. I tested both sides.

Below pics are the driver side reclining mechanism. I twisted it back and forth and it won't move. I don't want to use a big pair of plier to rotate it, I may break something else. I searched within Samba but don't see any post about rebuild the reclining mechanism (or pull it apart). I can see there is a pin there that first knock it thru but and then what?? I think I put the back rest part to the bottom cushion correctly. I think there is only one way to put them together. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Ghia Convert Seat Reclining Mechanism Reply with quote

I found a post below and at least it gives me some information. I will try to open it up and try to fix it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=514734
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Ghia Convert Seat Reclining Mechanism Reply with quote

kdnguyen61 wrote:
I found a post below and at least it gives me some information. I will try to open it up and try to fix it.
Good on you! I was starting to feel uncomfortable for you out there alone in the wilderness as your post slowly sank to the bottom. Keep on keeping on, document the step-by-step with photos and maybe it'll be made a "stickie" thread and you'll become "That Guy" for the seat reclining mechanism Cool 👍👍
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Ghia Convert Seat Reclining Mechanism Reply with quote

Here are some steps that worked for me.

1) Spray WD40 or liquid wrench in the hole and around the plates to losing things up. Wait few hours then use a hole puncher or a 4D or 6D nail to get the original nail off. Take your time and be gentle with it as I don't know where you can get the parts if damaged.

2) Use two flathead screw drivers to pry out the most outer plate. Pry it evenly.

3) Picture below is what you get after pry out the most outer plate. There are two more plates behind it and you can see there is a white plastic bullet sticking out. You can take out the white plastic part to clean including the spring inside. Remember how this two plates are connecting with each other into the groove.

4) Then you will see there is one more plate hanging with a metal tube. Remember that I am working on one side for now. You can pry this plate off of the tube and clean it. You also see four indent holes against the permanent plate with the seat frame. Clean this area up and grease it.

5) The other side will come loose like picture below. Again this side has all the plates like the other side. You can pull them out and clean them (including grease).

6) As you can see below, this side is also needs to be cleaned and grease. You can also see the four indent holes.

7) The rod and tube came out like this. Again you need to clean them up and grease them

Cool To put it all back together, you reverse the steps from 7 back to 1. On first side, align the white bullet plastic part to one of the indent hole (pick whichever hole you want). Then hold one side all plates in, with the other hand you put in all the plates on the other side. Remember to align the plastic white part against the same hole as you did on the other side. For me after I put in all the plates, I put in a 4D nail to lock in all plates and test the mechanism. After everything work fine then I put back in the original nail.

The reclining works ok for me, not very smooth but what you expect for a 50 years old part. Good luck.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Ghia Convert Seat Reclining Mechanism Reply with quote

kdnguyen61 wrote:
Cool To put it all back together, you reverse the steps from 7 back to 1.
Nicely done Applause
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Ghia Convert Seat Reclining Mechanism Reply with quote

Excellent thread. I don't know how I missed it before today, but I'm really glad I found it. Glad it made it into the stickies.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: