Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 71 volksrod/kit car build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ObliviousJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

I've been hanging out for a year or so, but I figured I'd finally post here. I've hit a bit of a wall on this build, and I'm trying to build up a little motivation to finish it up.

It started as a 70 beetle based kit car that I bought off craigslist for $1000 about 18 months ago. In that time, I've stripped it back to the chassis, removed rust, treated the metal, painted with POR15, rebuilt the transmission, had the engine rebuilt, new...everything really, and have it mostly reassembled. I think you can tell what I'm going for. Kind of an open wheel roadster/hot rod look with the engine hanging off the back in the open like a dune buggy.

Not sure if this is the best way to link the photos, I'll try to reupload or edit it if I have to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

Looks good, pan was in nice shape.
ObliviousJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

Yeah, It didn't look good when I first got the body off, but when I started grinding away the rust, it was only surface deep. I had to weld up a few holes that were drilled into it, but that was the worst part.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

Imo, you need to plate over the big windows in the tunnel. That is the backbone of the chassis and needs to have any necessary holes it in be as small as possible and any larger holes should be reinforced with a doubler plate.

Other than that minor issue I like your concept. Sorta like a rear engined Lotus 7 / Locost car that I have thought about. Also check out a Brogie Roadster drag car. He incorporated a rear spoiler/ whale tail / wing in the back that looks cool imo.

rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

Here is a pic of a car that was fs local. The mag wheels on this car really suit it imo.

ObliviousJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

The holes are there because the shifter and pedal box are moved back for this car. Welding shut the access holes was on my list for final assembly. The car had those before I got it, and they didn't seem to have affected the structure, but I haven't closed them up yet in case I had to remove the pedal box/shifter assembly after doing some testing. I will still have access to them even after the body is on, even if it will be a bit harder to reach.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

Just making sure you have things under control. My bug project came with a similar pedal access hole that I have to do something with. I have half a notion of reinforcing the tunnel and leaving the access hole with a screw on cover.
ObliviousJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

Yeah, I was unhappy with the size of the access holes to begin with. I'm thinking that I should just weld in some nuts so I can eliminate the hole near the pedal box, but I do like having access to the underside of the shifter, so I was thinking on more reinforcement there or just tacking it.
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

Very cool build.....I like where you have taken it.

You HAVE to finish the sucker before spring!
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

Check out Speedway Motors for some vintage look headlights and taillights.

There used to be a pic of an amazing Tee roadster on their site that had an awesome looking headlight set. Can't find it.

Here is one idea. Way better suited to your car than dune buggy headlights. There are also some 9" headlight assys that would be cool. $$$ of course.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-7-Inch-Tri...57158.html
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

I would also try to disguise the shock towers. Integrate this idea with a headlight mount crossbar.
ObliviousJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

This is what I was looking at for headlights. I thought they'd look pretty good with the whole black/silver look.
ObliviousJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

I am on the fence about the taillights though. I'm waiting a little to see how the back end comes together before making my decision there.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

Wow that is really cool! Its a totally different attitude. Wonderful vision. It needs to be driven and shown. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

ObliviousJeff wrote:
I am on the fence about the taillights though. I'm waiting a little to see how the back end comes together before making my decision there.

59 Cadillac
ObliviousJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

It's funny you bring up the 59 caddy. My wife loves the look of the bullet shaped tails, I just want to get everything on the back side before I make a decision. Does anyone have experience with making it DOT ready? I imagine most of the car will pass because it's just mechanically a Beetle, but I was wondering about the rules on headlight height, and turn signal size. Anyone have any idea what's required or how picky they are?
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

I've loved the look of these from 'speedway'. I made my own mount so you can hang them anywhere. The LED lights are nice and bright too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

ObliviousJeff wrote:
It's funny you bring up the 59 caddy. My wife loves the look of the bullet shaped tails, I just want to get everything on the back side before I make a decision. Does anyone have experience with making it DOT ready? I imagine most of the car will pass because it's just mechanically a Beetle, but I was wondering about the rules on headlight height, and turn signal size. Anyone have any idea what's required or how picky they are?

Georgia's info is online. The headaches of registering and insuring a kit car or tube frame dune buggy is why I have never messed with one. In GA it makes it easier, I have heard Smile , if you call it a custom built antique car like say, a Mercedes in your case.
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

What is it titled as right now? It has a beetle chassis, so register as a VW. Insurance might be interesting because they will see it as a VW and might bauk at a value if you want more than the VW it is based on. Down here in Iowa the law sees so many street rods and other custom creations, most only worry if things are over-the-top crazy. Take a look around the "Back to the Fifties" show up there in Minneapolis and build accordingly. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 volksrod/kit car build Reply with quote

Nice job taking that car to a new level. Sweet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: