Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWoA service Kombis 1956, the Schulwagen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Damn it! Now were all running around with boners after checking that stuff out! Very Cool! Go for it Lind! Make this Bus!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

I don't think I have ever seen a logo bus i want more. Wow. Canadian version please!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Thank you for posting that lit Ralph, those pictures are awesome! I can't imaging how slow a BD carrying all those tools would be. Those cabinets in the back look very Matra-like

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

what's preventing the weight of the engine tipping that portable table up?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

finster wrote:
what's preventing the weight of the engine tipping that portable table up?

Looks like there's a complete front beam and transmission/axle assembly inside the "table" weighing it down.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

It’s wild not one of the 15-20+ of these survived without the logo. You’d figure that’s kind of good odds.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
It’s wild not one of the 15-20+ of these survived without the logo. You’d figure that’s kind of good odds.

I have pictures of at least 28 of them.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

These were Germans sent over by the factory to drive around and train American service departments. Many of these
Germans ended up staying in the U.S., and going to work for the distributors and dealers they helped train.

Back in 2007, I bought my old '64 Panel from a man in Mississippi who had worked for their local VW dealer in the 50's-60's before he opened his independent shop in the '70's. He had the certifications from VW in his office still. He told me stories about having to go to VWs big distributor in New Orleans and being taught by Germans. They lived there and worked at International Auto Sales in New Orleans.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RalphMH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Tools and fixtures from Matra, Peiseler and Hazet were included. In the brochure there is a technical drawing for the construction of the "table" of Matra. And a note that the complete equipment was also available from Matra with the exception of the VW aggregates and tools from Peiseler. In this respect I assume that velvetgreen is right, and the cabinets in the back were from Matra too.
RalphMH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

The table below includes a complete rear axle with gearbox and a front axle with gearbox. Together with the weight of the table itself and the short lever of the motor, this should be enough to prevent the table from tipping.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Hi Ralph

Thanks so much for posting those great pics! Those rear cabinets sure do look very Matra like.

I wouldn't want to be one of the guy(s) tasked with lifting out that table out of the bus. lIt looks like it contained both front axle, rear axle + RGBS and transmission. That sounds like a recipe for a visit to the chiropractor
panel67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Awesome Patrick ! Cool

Interesting to note that the service specific 1954 brochure didn't include Great Britain, even though official export started in 54.

The bus touring the UK in 53 still has German plates from the occupation era, but carries English logos (at least some).

It is also an older bus, doesn't have a rear bumper. Has piano hinge and high mirror, so 52 or older.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

I am going to drop this photo here, but more importantly maybe we can get some pics from OCTO added in here today… hint hint Laughing

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Looks like an ambulance rear hatch on that VW service bus^^^^^
Possibly a barndoor ambulance?

Are any of the original service buses still around with or without logos?
Surprised nobody has cloned one of these buses and recreated the logos.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Looks like an ambulance rear hatch on that VW service bus^^^^^
Possibly a barndoor ambulance?

Are any of the original service buses still around with or without logos?
Surprised nobody has cloned one of these buses and recreated the logos.

I saw pics, there is what appears to be a real one at the Buzz launch today, and will be at octo tomorrow. I'll post a tease

these photos are from Shin Watanabe last night...

seriously bad ass, I love it

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Waiting for more pics of that service rig! Sooo cool!!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Nice work Lind. Did he find the original cabinets too or reproed yhem to look liike the originals?

What what kind of motor he is rocking carrying spare engine, front beam, rear transaxle, tools etc etc?
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Wow! Simply Wow! Awesome Lind!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: