Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Ok all it is time for me to get a build thread going. Been a VW fan for as long as I can remember, but it is more like they are imprinted on me from my beginning. Most certainly as long as I have been driving. I drove bugs all through high school and college. My sisters both had beetles too when they were young (a 1960 and a 1967). They had them because their younger brother (me) could fix them if needed.

This will be a story of the resurrection of my dad’s car. What I think is quite unique is that this is a “One Family” car, meaning my dad bought the car new in the summer of 1955 when he got his first job out of college. He was a forester, and I think that is why he bought a ‘forest’ green car. It was actually Iceland green. It was purchased at Gilbert and Seibel VW in Vancouver, WA USA on Sept 16th for $1691.30. I have the original Bill of Sale, Registration and loan documents. I have the original Washington state title, and I had the original sales brochure (lost now). My dad put a lot of miles on that car working as a Washington state forester. He would tell us this car had enough miles on it to go to the moon (over 220,000 or so). In this early life, it has had 3 engines put in it but more or less had everything else original. It was our one family car until we bought our brand new 1968 bus from Gilbert and Seibel of course.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Christmas 1964 trip to Grandma and Grandpa's

Then in around 1975 my dad was in the Christmas tree business, and was also the part time caretaker for the local Washington state DNR camp grounds. The car was now his “work truck”. He put mops and brooms on the ski rack, and the back seat was taken out and the space used to haul supplies and tools all over the county. Needless to say, the car was no longer in show room condition. One day that year the engine just died. He towed it home with the tractor and just parked it in the field. The car sat out next to our pig pen, and it became the most convenient dry place to store the hog feed. I cringe at the use of it as a feed store, and guess what moved in.

Well, turns out in 1979 I was old enough to think about driving and having a car. My buddy and I were heavy into motorcycles at the time but I would need a car soon. My dad and I started talking about getting the ol’ bug running again. We tried starting it again but no luck (big surprise!). We figured it needed some major engine repair so we dragged it out of the weeds to a more or less level spot, and me and my buddy proceeded to remove the engine. I had quite a lot of mechanical experience even at age 15 from all the motorcycle and every other thing with an engine freak up to that point. A natural motorhead. The poor maintenance, weather and vermin had taken their toll and the car looked like a sad dirty old dog. We did not have any kind of garage or car port. Mouse piss is so corrosive!

We stripped the engine down to the long block and took it down to Unlimited V-Dub in Vancouver. They rebuilt the heads and put a new piston/cylinder kit on it. Found a bent pushrod too from probably a stuck valve. Once we got it back, and put back together we of course tried to start it. Found out why it died those years before. The metal fuel line had worn a hole in it where it passes through the front engine firewall tin. Sucking air = no go. Glad the car did not go up in flames way back then! Grommet was nonexistent from age and after bouncing along all those forest roads.

We got the thing going but did not have a muffler for it yet. Still we drove it up to my buddy’s house up the road, rattling and popping all the way. Oh the smell of a fresh engine warming up. I still remember that, and the exhaust fumes. My dad later got a muffler, and threw some new tires on it. I learned to drive in that car. From the day I got my driver’s license I never took the school bus again, and I became the designated driver for all my unlicensed friends. From then on it was my car, and I still have it to this day. In 1980 we had a big snow storm and we took these pictures. Of course the car started right up but no driving possible.

The car got is few more dings and other life experiences during my high school years. An oopsie happened to the driver’s side front fender, as noted by the gray one on it here. I kinda yeah beat the crap out of this car but man I could DRIVE. Lots of unmentionable stunts and 4 wheeling and snow driving as deep and as steep as it could handle. Any grassy open area became a flat track. I could have totaled the car on numerous occasions if the wrong thing happened, or been busted for ah…improper use of a motor vehicle!

I had a plan to eventually get it restored to something respectable and long story short after high school I had use of a neighbors auto body shop and spent a couple years off and on learning about body work and paint prep. Back in 1983 or so there just were not good matching parts like heater channels. All I found was from JC Whitney or local VW shops. I just did the cosmetic repairs and short cutted the rest. Young and inexperienced. From there it became a garnet red color. Finished it in about 1986. Had a 1600 in it at that point because no self-respective teen ager would have a wimpy 36hp in it! These are progress pictures before the new wheels came.

The car lived mostly in storage but I would occasionally take it to a show or to a local event. The car was not perfect by any means and I knew it would need some additional serious internal body rust repair and proper period parts some time. Other things took charge of life.

A sad chapter happened in 2002 when out on a short joy ride. Coming back from my dad’s place, a drugged out meth head sleaze decided she did not need to stop at a stop sign. T-boned the passenger side, and slammed the driver’s side rear into some heavy duty mail boxes. Both sides of the car were heavily damaged. I was actually thrown out of the car but was fine except for a few scratches. In a big way the car protected me because the driver’s door became an outrigger and stopped it from rolling over on me. A higher power of some sort or at least great luck seemed to be in play. The car landed back on its wheels, and amazingly it was still drivable but barely. I discovered I broke the master cylinder push rod when slamming the brakes so hard, but I was able to get it home using the e-brake. There was only about 750 miles on the car since the life in red paint. Moral of this chapter: Put in seat belts with shoulder straps, and drive like you are on a motorcycle where no one sees you and everyone is out to kill you. It could have been much worse. The b^##$^ was caught and arrested and later found guilty.

From this point the car sat in dry storage. In the back of my mind I still planned on trying to repair it. Way to sentimental not to, and in reality, I feel obligated to do so. Besides, I was brought home from the hospital as a newborn in that car, being held in my mom’s lap, with my sisters in the back, and no seat belts. I have forgiven the woman in the accident, and I am thankful that I am still here to do what needs to be done next. So off and on since the wreck had collected some used body sections of various parts I knew it would need. Found some decent ribbed doors from a guy in Denver. Searched for the right aprons from wrecking yards and off Samba. Bought a TIG welder and lots of bodywork type tools in hopes of needing them someday.

Then in the fall of 2019 I got re-inspired (I also happened to be 55 years old. Hmmm, a mental coincidence??). I met a guy at a neighborhood watering hole from the local VW club who has a very nice 1964 driver. Just seeing it and how much fun he was having driving that car around to events and to grab a pint, or whatever. I told him what I had and my plans someday for my car. I also saw a local guy whom I have not yet met driving a fully restored ’54 or ’55 Strato Silver oval around who is in the same club. DANG! Soon after is when I discovered Wolfparts and Klassic Fab and Restoration Panels, Mr. Okrasa, etc, etc. and out came the credit card! Seeing high quality original matching style aprons and other parts was invigorating. I started researching everything and stocking up on what I knew I wanted to replace to make it back to an original looking car- in every detail I possibly can. I have acquired many original parts too like proper bullet and ribbed fenders, misc parts, and a lot of new from CIP1 and WW.

I started with the engine restore and currently have the engine 99% complete for a June 1955 born date. It is not the original block but I do know the original case # (original paperwork!). Some parts are original to the car on my engine as they were transferred through the cycle of engines it had. I put a short video on YouTube of its first start. Mr. Okrasa helped with the case machine work, if you recognize the magnesium coating color. I did all the mechanical assembly.

Crappy sound vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alsoNgx22Jw&list=PLuVZ3qjDqaBF7vke8qBxm66ZjuEdTMs1A&index=2

Sorry for the long winded introduction to this rebuild. I am leaving much of the story out but I wanted folks to know just one more saga on how these little cars get in your psyche and cause us to do strange things, spend crazy $$ and tell crazy stories about this and that in our car lives. I bet there are others that understand.

I am now heavy into sheet metal work and I intend to show the progression. I have lots of photos so don’t worry if you like seeing them. I have at least 2 more years’ worth of work to get it complete as I still have a day job. I am not really in a hurry and I will take all the time necessary to do the best I can. The other build threads on TS are very inspiring and informational so this is my primary resource, and of course that video site YT.

I hope to make this thread worthy of some of the great ones on this forum. Be patient as there will be gaps between posts. My motivation is high at the moment.
Dan
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Fantastic!!!!!!

Love the story, the history and look very forward to the progress! Volkswagens definitely infect the soul! Something about them for sure!

Thanks in advance!!! (thumbs up) Wink
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

A great introduction to a nice, old late '55 Beetle. Kudos for putting it back together in honor of your long history with it and your Dad's history with that Beetle. I also own a June of 1955 unrestored Sunroof Beetle, thay are unusual and great Ovals to own and love!

I'm assuming you are keeping it stock and original, and that it will be green again! We'll be watching your progress!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I look forward to sharing the progress.

BulliBill, yes it will go back to green. I already have a nice new red interior from West Coast Classic Interiors. In fact, I shared some of your car's interior pictures with them and said "make my interior like this!" Thanks for your pictures on the forum.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Everything about this is awesome. God speed.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba! Love the back story and your drive to make IT happen! Will be looking in as much as I can. Hope it all gets done and you get to drive it once again! You are soooo lucky that you could hold onto your Oval! That is super cool!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Fantastic back story. The forward story will be just as great.
Based on what you have stated.

FWIW. We brought daughter #2 home in my second 67 beetle.
I tried to talk the wife into delivering her in the beetle.
At the time, VWoA was offering scholarships of $20K. If the place of birth could be placed inside a vw.
The wife was having none of that! Laughing

I'm looking forward to the updates. As they come along.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Great back story. I look forward the ongoing restoration.
She was a beauty back in her day...I'm sure she will be again. Thanks for taking time to share.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

the many lives of a beetle, and in one family ownership too! looking forward to seeing this progress, especially going by the quality of the engine rebuild Popcorn

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Popcorn

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Some painful images here to show. My poor car took such an undeserved beating. Believe it or not, the passenger door still opened and closed after this. I had to cut the drivers door off at one of the hinges.

It is important to me though to share these so I can tell the full story. One A-pillar and one B-pillar are heavily damaged. All four quarters and the doors need serious help. The back seat pushed out the drivers side rear quarter. (It was weak with a rusted heater channel.)

Believe it or not, I recently removed the fenders, and straightened them out with an air hammer and manual hammer/dollies, and promptly sold them on Craigslist. Main task for me was just to see how well I could get the back to a reasonable shape, ready for filler. I removed my bullet turn signal bases and patched in the hole too before selling. Razz

She will drive again someday!
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Got the car mostly stripped down to the sheet metal. Here are the immediate challenges I will focus on. Drivers side quarter and heater channel prep for removal. I thought I put them in order but evidently not. I will let the pix do the talking. SO NICE getting rid of that rust.
My old high school level repair.

Cutting away to see the best way to approach. Cautious to preserve as much as possible of good metal.

Side Saddle work position!

Small patch made in the inner fender that laps below the other new part.

One of the many test fitups. That trapezoid shape and outer flange must be exactly 57mm wider than the (hidden) doubler edge in order to locate the heater channel and later quarter panel flange.

How I modified the new KF heater channel flange to close the opening of pre '56 shape body.

Sandblasting and prep with weld through primer.

Finished this part!

Next is prepping the new outer quarter panel metal I bought from Virtanen, and my attempt at rebuilding a usable 1960 lower panel. I am still debating on which to actually use. I had to make significant mods to the new panel to match the shape of the original VW.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

So here is my thinking for the next phase on this quarter panel. I intend to fit the new piece in while leaving the remnants of the heater channel in place. This way I think I can get the best match to the original position, and use the new cross member metal at that precise 57mm. To mimic the heater channel surface and make a clamping edge, I temporarily put a channel piece in place.

So here is one of my donor parts. It is a section from a 1960, but it needs repairs before taking it any further. The door jamb had some rust through just in spots so I work figured out a graft from another part original metal of that jamb which should match the bend radius and overall curve.

Figuring out what others have said to do to butt weld sheet metal with minimal warping.

Finish welded, ground smooth then separated from the old heater channel, ready for the next thing to do.

So then I saw how different the new panel is from the shape of the original. The bottom flange where the drain holes are is 3-4mm wider than the original. After much thought of whether to do more repair on the original (more rust), I decided to bite the bullet and trim out a strip from the new. I measured the profile at various points and essentially made the new match the old. Very easy to weld on that new metal for sure.

The lower edge of the flange was not straight either. I used a thick steel bar to reshape the edge to a straight line and good corner.

Edge comparison.

Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Some LR quarter side work that I have done. Had a couple of dents up near the trim that needed attention. I had a cheap hot glue dent puller kit as a first attempt. After many tries, it just did not work. I think the metal was just too cold for good adhesion. Plus the curved shape and sharpness of the dents made them pretty solid. Plus I am a noob with those and may not realize their capabilities and limitations.

Thanks to this site though, I saw another member who bought one of these spot welding dent puller tools. I have seen commercial ones in use but thought they were way out of my budget. Shoot these were about $300 shipped! And they work! Has keys and zig sag wire, washers, shrinking carbon rods. Mine is the 240v version. I made up this cart with my new spot welder and most of my body work tools. Again inspired by other members.

My first use of such tool. Probably a bit too pocked up but heck it was more or less a blind side pull.

Other side work has been to reshape my 1960 inner panel to the correct shape for a '55. There was a bulge from the seat cross bar to bring down. I cut slits and reshaped it in the anvil. Getting practice welding .7mm sheet metal. Old and new.

Next is to transfer the seat mount weld nuts and tail end shape. It is actually much smoother than it looks, and a nice straight line. I may put some filler on it to hide it completely.

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

NICE work, sir.. I applaud you and your willingness to return the car to it's former glory.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. It is a labor of love I have to say.

I have gone through every oval rebuild thread in the stickies and others too, trying to discover techniques and tricks that others have used. This car is definitely a challenge but I will just keep picking away at it, and magically, someday, it will be done! Very Happy
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

This is my favourite oval build thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369883&highlight=

FlyerTim had lots of tricks that I used in my build. He did amazing work.

Don
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

More prep for the drivers side rear quarter. I gotta say I am a bit nervous here since there is a bunch that can go wrong. As Sunroof says "Better and better mistakes"! LOL.

My strategy with this side of the car is based on which pillar A or B is in better shape to guide the completion of the other with good door fit and alignment. In my case for the drivers side, the B pillar is much better than the A pillar. I have a good door, and I have a good right side rear quarter clip to help with shape referencing. I have also left the original non tweaked heater channel remnant in place to set an anchor reference point down there. So, my focus is getting the lower quarter patched in and temporarily anchored, then work on the severely damaged A pillar. I will not separate the body from the pan until I have the doors hung and straight, and all quarters in place, then proceed with heater channel repair. I hope this strategy is right.

Here I made and bolted a straight edge bar to the B pillar to assist in bracing the patch panel, and locating the jamb on the heater channel. Oh that sexy curve to the quarter...

My temporary heater channel guide, and an ear welded exactly where I think will hold the jamb needs to be. 924mm from the front and 1049 from above.

Scraping off undercoating in preparation for fitting and welding.

Next, I decide if I use my Virtanen panel, or my 1960 clip, and start fittin' it up. Confused
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

A little progress this weekend. Not as much as I hoped but heck, progress is progress.

Still nervous about taking action on "the big cut" so I decided to do some less technical work. Stripping the 67 year old tar undercoating from the wheel wells. Glad that stuff was there as it probably saved much of the metal from the Pacific NorthWet climate. Used a weed burner torch for heat as the heat gun was too slow an wimpy. Xylene works good to dissolve the tar.

It is interesting to see more of the color it once was.... Someday... Some Day..

Then I got started on fitting the new panel at the left rear quarter. Got the front edge close to fit. Found out though that the zig zag door seal shape is different by 2mm. I will have to cut it down and reweld. Dang. The wheel well line is off by about 4mm too. Double dang!. All three sides of this panel need modification for proper fitment.

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Looks familiar!

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: