Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Dan22 wrote:
Then I got started on fitting the new panel at the left rear quarter. Got the front edge close to fit. Found out though that the zig zag door seal shape is different by 2mm. I will have to cut it down and reweld. Dang. The wheel well line is off by about 4mm too. Double dang!. All three sides of this panel need modification for proper fitment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks very familiar! I went through a decent amount of fun working through both of the B pillars! The Klokermann panel I used was a far cry from where I ended up beating in to! After that I realized the metal pets available are all going to require work! Damn it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Very Happy Yes it does look like a deja vu to your car Don!

Many on this forum have experience in this repair area!

Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

The latest tidbit. I was able to grind a slice out of the door jamb seal area and weld it up clean. I had to adjust the top by 1.5mm and taper down to zero, in order to get the step height of 21.5mm all the way along.

I found using one notch higher setting on the MIG worked very well and great penetration. Using the setting recommended for this metal made the spots too cold and globby. Of course tight fitting metal is key. This was advice from youtube videos and here and other forums, and they are right. I also did the weld a spot then blow cool, wait, then do it again somewhere else.

Cleaned up the back side with the TIG where needed, and ground smooth.

Then I smiled when I saw the fit after the mod. I can work with this! Cool

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

NICE!!!!! Very nice!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

awesome thread
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Great fit!
Tight joints/little more heat...good info...I'm working on getting my welds dialed in and this is the kind of tip that may get me down the road a little faster...it is a vw after all. I can use all the tailwind I can get.
Thanks for putting this thread up.
Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks all. I am so happy to contribute to the forum. I have learned so much from it, and like to show how I put that knowledge and developed skill to use.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Switched gears for a bit. Bought me the 6V BrakeLighter and mocked it up in the intake grille. I think it will be bright enough in there. Others have done this too. I want to avoid the obnoxious back reflection or extra shielding if it is mounted inside the window. Well hidden in the grille. Magnetic mounts is what I will use. Super easy to ultimately wire in with the main harness connectors in the engine compartment. I probably will use one of the deck lid bracket bolts for the ground connection.

I also found a used tranny nose cone from ebay pretty cheap. Well when it came I discovered the front side bushing bore was ovaled out. Bummer there but JB weld to the rescue. I let it partially set up then shoved a couple of progressively large sockets down the bore to shape the inside close to the proper size. Then I will finish it with a reamer to final size. TA DA!. It will fit tight as original. I am going to fit the sealed type bushing kit in there from Pocket Rocket to prevent hockey stick leaks.

Lastly, I took my original but bent up rear brake plate and spend an hour or more straightening it back to usable. I had one really good one in my stash but I had to resurrect the original right side, or buy a used. Challenge accepted and won (I REALLY dig taking what could be junk and bring it back to a usable life!). I found I need to weld up the contact surface where the shoes rub back to flat. That is for today.

Aftermarket plates are also available but I prefer original it at all possible.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

That JB weld is not going to stand the test of time. It will give you a short duration of no leaks but it will fail. Your best bet is to have an over size bushing installed and then have it reamed for the hockey stick. You won’t have a leak (if done correctly) for another 50 years!

Looking good! All of it has to been gone through!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Wow, great build and great story.

Only thing I'll offer is to take a minute and do a bunch of over-all diagonal measurements.

Side-to-side measurements from bottom corner of lower left door frame to top of upper right door hinge - stuff like that.
Check the same measurement on both sides to be sure it's all 100% identical.

You'll want to be sure the whole shell itself is completely straight and true before welding too much new metal on.
I lost over a year struggling with a past accident repair on my Fastback.
Accident damage can hide crookedness very easily.
It won't show up until the end when you think you're done and go to fitting removeables and setting gaps.

Thanks for taking the time to post it all up.

What’s That Noise?!?
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi Clatter. Thanks for the input. I am concerned about overall body shape integrity since both sides have damage. So far I have only found one small spot near the gas tank that shows the strain of impact but away from the impact zone. It is minor.

My plan has been to start with a panel that should still be close to the original shape profile, and to keep the heater channels in place as reference points as I work the side panels back to good. As you suggest, I will not weld in the quarters or even the A-pillar until the doors are hung and fit properly. I do need to check the diagonals of the door opening for sure.

Today, I set up a brace on a turn buckle to firmly position the left rear quarter. I have a brace to set the height also, which is the wood 2x2. Razz

I also have the straight right side quarter clip which is nice and never been hit. I clamped it on to verify position. I also put my old door, and my new door in place just to confirm no surprises.

This clip is from a 1960. I found it interesting the door latch cavity is much different shape from the 1955.

My new Strato Silver door.

Some side work has been to finish out the nose cone bushing install. Got them pressed in. The front one fit nice and snug and I also used sealant. Then I cut the rubber pad to fit the front seal housing. I confirmed the pan entrance has plenty of room for movement of the seal housing but once I actually install the transmission I will confirm that again.

I popped out the vent plug to install some air filter foam rubber to make an improved vent to keep dirt out and hopefully oil in.

Final de-rusting of my repaired rear brake plate too. I used electrolysis to do this. Ready for blasting.

Spent a bundle at CIP1 on new rear brake drums, shoes and related parts. Found some NOS 19mm ATE brake slave cylinders from Ebay that I will use for the rear too.

And, scored some 36hp carbs at a VW parts sale from a local shop. 4 of the 5 are rebuildable. One is interestingly shiny and has an AUS stamp on it. Very good condition, and it is an early serial number, suitable for 1954-55 MYs as they have that extra screw that holds the venturi in position.

Last edited by Dan22 on Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

My brake parts came in so I had to test fit them together. Others have had trouble getting the drums on when fully assembled. At least this way I was able to slip the drum on when the key components are in place.

These are the German drums from CIP1. Heavy suckers! Bought new oil slingers too which were made by BBT.

Notice the brake adjustment hole is oval shaped. I think the original type were round. No biggie I guess.

I hope to fit the quarter panel in this weekend.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Big day for me today. Final fitting of the left quarter panel. Door gap and profile good. Bottom edge level to everything. Fender bolt hole is good, and all the edges lined up.

I gapped the B-pillar edge the overlapped the panels for cutting. Then set it back down to get zero gap at the cut. This HF panel cutting saw is kind of a pain but it worked.

The wheel well area got trimmed out and profiled to fit. No pix of that. Took a break to give the chickens some scratch. (OOPS how did that picture get in there?!)

Weld through primer is on the hidden spots. I used a heavy flat bar to clamp the B-pillar in a straight line. I did not want any movement here as the tacking began. Lots of clamps! Worked around from the front to the back in order to avoid capturing any mismatch for length between upper and lower metal.

Tacked!

Gap is even!

It has been a good day.
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Looking Good!
I like the recycled hard drive magnets you are using to hold the panels, I did the same thing,
Those things are strong!
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Great project and efforts !!! Cool

Your carburetor isn't from Australia, but that most probably means AUS TAUSCH, German Austausch stands for exchange or remanufactured part.
seeing your red door in the car and how the gap slightly opens to the top of the b pillar ( while the blue one doesn't) and also seeing how the front upper door window frame seems to be touching your a post/roof area. That is a very common problem on beetles with high mileage and/or accident damage. First make sure the door hinge pins are tight. Then, while working on the sills and rockers, you may want to raise the A pillars a bit with a jack or so.
On high mileage beetles, combined with rusted rockers or accident damage, the a pillars tend to sag just a bit (3- 5mm). that is enough to cause the uneven gap at the b pillar, and more annoying so, causing the front door (glass) frame to rub at the a post/roof. once the car will get painted there is nearly no way to remedy this problem, so now is the right time for that. Very Happy
Good luck !

'52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
'54 Sunroof Oval project, Lichtbeige L275
'55 Wolfsburg panel project, Taubenblau L31 all og paint
'62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
'67 1500 Käfer, Lotus weiß L282 all og paint w/red interior
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi djfmj,

That makes sense about the carburetor. I wonder how they got it so shiny like it was plated or perhaps electropolished. It is an old one too since such a low serial number.

The red door was severely tweaked in the wreck so it is not a good reference at all for alignment. The A-pillar is also damaged so when I get to that part your advice is good to check the front top clearance. I have new door pins for the blue door. So far, it is not rubbing at the windshield but if I have to jack it up, I will. Fortunately, there is little to no rust damage at the A-pillar area that would have caused sagging. I did see some slight movement though when I placed the proper height shims under the front beam body mount.

I will post up some pix of the A-pillar soon as that is where I will focus next. I have to fully rebuild that area since the bottom hinge mount was torn out, and the upper got twisted a bit too. I am so looking forward to getting this side of the body straightened out. It will take a lot of work and checking/tweaking/rechecking to get it right. My hope is that there will be no external evidence visible and a high quality repair. I appreciate any advice others can provide as I progress.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Ha! We have a couple of the same breeds. Very Happy My grey/white speckled girls are prolific layers (to the right in your picture). I have three of those. I forget what those are, maybe Bar Rock or something? My girl with the pretty feathers, like the one all the way left in your picture, got taken by a hawk just as winter was arriving. Sad Every time I let them out of their fenced in area to range, one gets taken by a hawk! I'm at seven currently and four of them are producing every day, with another joining in every couple days. They'll all be pounding them out soon, as daylight is steadily increasing. Better than store bought - that's for sure.

I must compliment the very consistent pools you are developing along the seam in the quarter panel. And spacing them and going slow like that so they cool down is reflected in the lack of warpage. Wow. Patient. I'm going to be motivated by this as I dive into a corner seam on my bus this week.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Dan22 wrote:
...Worked around from the front to the back in order to avoid capturing any mismatch for length between upper and lower metal...

Oooo, I would not have thought of this potential snafu. Thank you for posting the tip.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Yes those magnets work good for quick positioning. Probably 50lbs of pull on each one. Darn hard to take them off without prying with something similar.

BUT, you can't arc weld anywhere near them or the arc is uncontrollable. Funny stuff, electricity and magnetism.

That brown speckled hen is like a golden laced cochin, I think. Speckled one is a barred rock. Layin' like crazy now!

On vacation for a week so no more progress for a while. I will be thinking about it though.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Life and Rebuild of Dad’s Iceland Green 1955 Beetle Reply with quote

Well done, I struggled for weeks to get mine to fit properly.

Quote:
Others have had trouble getting the drums on when fully assembled.

I'm sure you are talking about me. I couldn't even nearly get the drums on, even with pounding.

Lucky you.

Quote:
BUT, you can't arc weld anywhere near them or the arc is uncontrollable. Funny stuff, electricity and magnetism.

I found that out the hard way. I had some rare earth magnets holding a couple of panels together and my welding was going completely askew. That was a real head scratcher until I remembered that there is a relationship between magnetism and electricity. Of course nobody understands what that relationship is but thankfully it can be characterized by the magic that is mathematics.

A LA PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICHES! c = 1/(E0u0)1/2

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: