Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield washer air supply line
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

Does anyone sell the air supply lines that go from the spare tire to the washer bottle?

I have an original line which of course cracked then an aftermarket line that I purchased from kubelman a few years ago that leaks somewhere and flattens the spare tire. If I just hook up this line without connecting it to the bottle the tire will flatten within a week. I think it is coming from the seal to the schrader valve on the spare tire.

I know most people go to aftermarket electric pumps, but I want to get this stock unit working.

Thanks
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

Check with Mike Basso at www.Thingparts.com

Even with a new hose you will eventually end up with a flat spare tire unless you remember to top it off regularly.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
Check with Mike Basso at www.Thingparts.com

Even with a new hose you will eventually end up with a flat spare tire unless you remember to top it off regularly.

Why is that?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

Adding an electric pump for the washer is the way to go.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:

It's my understanding that when the system is working properly, It will only allow air pressure in the spare tire to drop to a specific minimum level. Don't recall what that level is but it's enough so the spare is still usable.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

I think the tire is supposed to be pressured to about 42lbs and then while using the system it will stop at around 26lbs which is determined by the spring and valve in the top cap in the water bottle.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

I had to replace mine a few years back, the turn signal piece was leaking, replaced that and got the remaining missing parts I needed from Mike Basso at a Kubeltreffen show off a junker he was parting out.

And yeah mine makes my spare go flat too, I read somewhere you're supposed to check it every fuel up but we know how that goes.

I carry a 12v air pump for emergency's anyways or just unhook the thing from the spare as needed. I really just wanted to see the dern thing work, rather ingenious idea there Vw! Very Happy

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

I was able to pull apart the end that attaches to the tire and clean everything and superglue it back onto the nylon hose and so far it is not leaking. Wish I had a new seal that was inside that fitting, but I had to use what I had. Also my aftermarket nylon line was straight where the stock one has a 90 degree bend. I heated it just a bit with a flame and was able to bend it 90 degrees.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

just found a original replacement of the supply line on ebay

I did test that the tire never goes flat as the bottle valve stops it ...
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

I still have a few of our RoMTOC spare tire washer supply line poly pro lines with all brass fittings If you need one. Contact K Mann at [email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
I still have a few of our RoMTOC spare tire washer supply line poly pro lines with all brass fittings If you need one. Contact K Mann at [email protected]

That is the one that I have that is leaking. I purchased it and it has nylon fittings glued onto either end and one of the ends was not glued properly.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

The brass ends look a lot better not just glued on like the nylon ends

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2090771
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
The brass ends look a lot better not just glued on like the nylon ends

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2090771

I think one can salvage similar brass fittings, from used tyre-sealant canisters.

You might like to peruse the following topic thread I initiated a few weeks ago, which I shall periodically update as I sporadically unearth more information:

Forum Index > Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys > Benefits of Schräder Valve Extension Hoses & Fittings

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=773090

One thing I would be interested to learn from you VW Type 181/182 Thing / Safari / Trekker enthusiasts, is the installed and theoretical maximum water capacity (litres, US pints, Imperial pints or fluid ounces) of the factory-fitted windscreen-washer reservoir (VW part No. 311 955 453 F I suspect) and how it is installed in the vehicle using the filler-neck's arge screw-collar and the captive steel screw-stud, washer & nut?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I suspect that one of these air-pressurised windscreen-washer reservoirs, might be a suitable alternative unit to mount behind the left-hand kickboard, in the cab of a 1968~79 VW Type 2, for a retro-fitted rear-window wiper & washer system like mine.

VW 411/412 Variant, 1.65 litre capacity windscreen-washer reservoir

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

https://www.thingparts.com/washer-hose-from-wheel-to-container-used/
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-yp39j5/uga2xu/produ...80.jpg?c=2
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
https://www.thingparts.com/washer-hose-from-wheel-to-container-used/

[email protected] wrote:
https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-yp39j5/uga2xu/produ...80.jpg?c=2

These looks remarkably like the semi-rigid plastic tubing with male & female fittings, that I salvaged many years ago from a VW 411/412 Variant.

£28•27 seems like a lot of money to me!!! Shocked

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

Try finding one
Unobtainium
I have one available
CALL 518 630 0173
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer air supply line Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Try finding one
Unobtainium
I have one available

I already have one, and I'm keeping it for the foreseeable future; possibly for use with either my 1973 VW Type 2 or 1974 Triumph Toledo!

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: