Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Cars of this condition are very rare. Cars that are solid but have had a lot of changes along the way are very common.

To take an original paint, original interior '57 and change anything on it would be a waste.

If you are set on modifying a bug, sell this one to a serious collector who will conserve and preserve it. Buy a run of the mill oval if you want to do a restomod.

I would add, that given it's originality, you could sell this car for much more money than you could buy a run of the mill oval and all of the parts you want.

As they say, they are only original once.

Agree. But this one is not original anymore. It has had the heater channels changed. So, we all know the interior came out of this one, as well as the paint was touched up. Right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or am I missing something?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Agree. But this one is not original anymore. It has had the heater channels changed. So, we all know the interior came out of this one, as well as the paint was touched up. Right?

I didn't see anywhere in this thread that said it had had rust repair...did I miss it?
Even so, I wouldn't call rust repair or even body work a 'modification' - unless it was done in a way to alter the car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

grailoc wrote:
Mayall57 wrote:
That’s great feedback splitjunkie and helps me sort out what should or should not be done to a car of this era.

It is the original paint and I was leaning on leaving it for now and enjoying it.

I’m regards to the interior, any comments on how clean it can get without damaging the original materials?

And finally the drivetrain, the motor is period correct but not matching numbers. I am debating updating to 12v with a new 1600/Tran and then working/learning how to rebuild the 1200/Tran that’s in it now. Any opinions on engine strategy?

keep that car as original as possible, the 36hp and split case trans is the way to go.

Where are you in Canada ? I am in Quebec city and working on my OG 56 cabriolet. try to keep it as stock as possible:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=310869&start=520

Me and the car are in Calgary. Thanks for the feedback.
Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
Cars of this condition are very rare. Cars that are solid but have had a lot of changes along the way are very common.

To take an original paint, original interior '57 and change anything on it would be a waste.

If you are set on modifying a bug, sell this one to a serious collector who will conserve and preserve it. Buy a run of the mill oval if you want to do a restomod.

I would add, that given it's originality, you could sell this car for much more money than you could buy a run of the mill oval and all of the parts you want.

I believe the heat channels are original. The carpet was pulled out, rubber mats still there but there is a small rust spot on the drivers side channel. Is there something in the pictures that suggests they were replaced. I actually didn’t ask the shop to confirm if those are original but will next week. I assumed based on the condition they appeared to be.
Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Pictures are not great but a few more near the heater channel.

Front

Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

grailoc wrote:
I had the same. issue on my decklid:

and here is how I solved it:

Nice fabrication work. So I guess there is no pre fab solution for something like that.
Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

It's a late '57. The heater outlets were moved back at the beginning of the calendar year, so they are the originals.

The engine number is not readable in the photos, but it appears to be an early '60 (325XXXX). Except for the autostick(?) distributor, most of the accessories are correct for '57 and may be original to the car. The original engine number is on the invoice (1930455), so it should not be hard to locate a case with a number close to the original. It's a safe assumption the original case is long gone.
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Mayall57 wrote:
grailoc wrote:
I had the same. issue on my decklid:

and here is how I solved it:

Nice fabrication work. So I guess there is no pre fab solution for something like that.

yeah the rectangle bracket isn't reproduced, so I found a good donor piece here on thesamba that I cut and welded back in place
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

What makes you think they have been replaced? They moved the heater vents to that position on December 19th 1956, so part way through the '57 model year. So consistent with being the originals if a late December '56 or later build date.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Can I ask what shop you have taken it to for the work needed? IMO there are few shops around that will know how to bring that car back to what it needs to be without wrecking it. They are out there but you need to select carefully. If you don't want to say on here I understand so if you want you can PM me. I can also provide suggestions on a shop that would do right by you and that oval.
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
Can I ask what shop you have taken it to for the work needed? IMO there are few shops around that will know how to bring that car back to what it needs to be without wrecking it. They are out there but you need to select carefully. If you don't want to say on here I understand so if you want you can PM me. I can also provide suggestions on a shop that would do right by you and that oval.

It’s sitting at concept 1 in calgary. I’ve heard about this shop for 20+ years and I’ve talked to the owner who also still owns a 57. Happy for suggestions though. No works been done yet.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

What makes you think they have been replaced? They moved the heater vents to that position on December 19th 1956, so part way through the '57 model year. So consistent with being the originals if a late December '56 or later build date.

Agree that VW moved them, but I thought that they retained the elliptical opening with the metal screen. This looks like the later model slotted openings. Am I wrong?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

Agree that VW moved them, but I thought that they retained the elliptical opening with the metal screen. This looks like the later model slotted openings. Am I wrong?

The screen went away at the end of the 1955 model year. 1956-early '57 had louvered vents at the front of the heater channel.
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Mayall57 wrote:
Trevor P wrote:

It’s sitting at concept 1 in calgary. I’ve heard about this shop for 20+ years and I’ve talked to the owner who also still owns a 57. Happy for suggestions though. No works been done yet.

You picked the right place! The owner is a good long time friend of mine and it's in good hands. Enjoy your new toy!
70 911T
91 Westy
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

The screen went away at the end of the 1955 model year. 1956-early '57 had louvered vents at the front of the heater channel.

Thank you! I though all Ovals had the screens. I am a dumbass eve.ry now and again. Sorry to interrupt.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
Here is the original invoice for your car (or its identical twin)...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/dealers/...beetle.jpg

Hey Jan,

I wanted to thank you for finding this for me. Although it's led me down a rabbit hole that I wasn't expecting it's fascinating to piece together the history of this car.

To my surprise, the dealer that sold this car is still around. I have been unable to find many details on the dealer's history but have sent an email to the GM to see if I can get any more information about the dealership.

With the invoice, I also managed to find an obituary for the gentlemen who originally purchased the car in 1957. He was an ex-British airforce mechanic who moved to Montreal after the war and then moved to Winnipeg in 1957 which explains why this car was purchased in Montreal but was invoiced to a Winnipeg address.

Finally, with the input from people on this posting and some more time to think of what's best I have decided to leave this mostly original car as-is. I am going to invest the money into rebuilding the engine and tranny. I will collect the missing pieces and then clean it up, inside and out. I may get the bumpers re-chromed and take care of the wheels but other than that this will remain intact.
Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Its a good time to throw up some more pictures.

After coming to the realization this car was not for me to try and learn and work on, I decided to work with Concept1 and overhaul the motor and clean up some suspension and electric items. Its a week away from being on the road and I am happy to know everything was done properly by a team of people who are experts in this business. I am going to enjoy the car as is for the last bit of summer and see what a proper clean up will look like over the winter. Through the motor and drivetrain rebuild, we have concluded that low mileage is reflected in the internal parts which was exciting to learn.

Anyways, here are some pics from the last 4 months.
Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Mayall57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Oval - 2022 project Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: