Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
A cold compression check is not worth doing.

You make it sound like an indisputable ironclad fact.
You will find that many Will disagree with you but that’s the fun of mechanics!
Room for varying opinions.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

I don't care at all if anyone disagrees with me, nor do I care at all if someone wastes their time doing a cold compression test, nor if they waste even more of their time/money making bad decisions based on a misleading (useless) cold compression test.

A few years ago I purchased a westy for cheap after a local mechanic did a cold compression check and told the owner they needed a new engine. When I rechecked the compression with the engine hot and the lifters all pumped up it was totally within spec!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

A cold compression test is useful but many beginners haven’t learned how to interpret that data. A hot test is better, certainly.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
The compression numbers are in:
1- 120
2- 110
3- 70
4- 80...

The OP's numbers are at-best misleading. They look low, but the engine compression could absolutely be within spec if the test is done correctly. I believe the compression is high enough that the engine would run, so you might find that info worthwhile, but there are easier ways to arrive at that conclusion. The results certainly aren't definitive for determining whether or not heads need to be pulled, etc...
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

Quote:
The OP's numbers are at-best misleading. They look low, but the engine compression could absolutely be within spec if the test is done correctly. I believe the compression is high enough that the engine would run, so you might find that info worthwhile, but there are easier ways to arrive at that conclusion. The results certainly aren't definitive for determining whether or not heads need to be pulled, etc...

I absolutely agree -- 70 and 80 cold, will only be higher hot and would certainly run. Even if someone disagrees that it would go up hot, it would start cold. 70 and 80 Psi is still a lot of compression.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
Quote:

I absolutely agree -- 70 and 80 cold, will only be higher hot and would certainly run. Even if someone disagrees that it would go up hot, it would start cold. 70 and 80 Psi is still a lot of compression.

Never said it wouldn't get better hot.
They most assuredly will.
But are you a dealer trying to show a healthy engine to get out of fixing it or a shop trying to show an engine in need of repair?

Again, it is like checking for a coolant leak on a hot engine, it just doesn't leak....... until the engine goes stone cold.

As a rule of thumb, you are looking for consistency in a neighborhood. Not an exact "must have" number.

If cold numbers are horrible, warm it up and retest.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
But are you a dealer trying to show a healthy engine to get out of fixing it or a shop trying to show an engine in need of repair?

I'm neither one and do not have either bias. I am someone with experience and understanding who is helpfully sharing that experience and understanding from the bias of wanting to help other owners make informed decisions about how to maintain/repair their vehicle in the easiest, most economical, and most effective ways. The cold compression check that the OP did does not fit with that and taking any action based on those potentially significantly misleading results is unwise.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

Either way -- a compression of 70 and 80 with 120 on the other side should not stop an engine from starting, so the starting issue is elsewhere, for sure.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

Thanks for the discussion of these facts. I can use all the information I can get on these issues to build up my personal knowledge base.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

What is the elevation where you are in New Mexico?
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
What is the elevation where you are in New Mexico?

Around 6000'
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

So that altitude will reduce the compression pressure to about 83% of what it would be at sea level.

The minimum spec for the WBX engines is 116 psi. The minimum spec for compression with engine hot and the lifters properly pumped up at 6,000' of elevation is 96 psi (116 x 0.83 = 96). It is very possible (actually probable) that your compression is actually within spec.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

Thank you, ?Waldo?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
djkeev wrote:
deadaheadub wrote:
Do I need to remove the air intake and exhaust to open up the head and replace the coolant jacket seal if I'm not dropping the engine?
How much oil do I squirt into the spark plug holes for a "wet" compression test?
thanks

Didn't like my oil answer yesterday eh? Laughing Laughing

Dave

No disrespect, Dave. I just wanted a little more clarification of how much "a few pumps" is. (I can get pretty "detailed".) Seems like "a few pumps" could fill up the holes. Does it matter, can you squirt in too much?
thanks, Dave

I do 3-4 squirts of a pump oil can.
Gut feeling? 1/2 teaspoon or so?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
...I just wanted a little more clarification of how much "a few pumps" is. (I can get pretty "detailed".) Seems like "a few pumps" could fill up the holes. Does it matter, can you squirt in too much?...

Yes, you can certainly squirt in too much. If you get close to or exceed the unswept volume of the combustion chamber, you will hydrolock the engine and bend connecting rods. That would take a significant amount on a gasoline engine, though. As an aside, oil should NEVER be added to the cylinders of a diesel engine. The combustion chamber volume is much smaller which greatly increases the chance of hydrolock and the higher compression can (will) ignite the oil and blow up the compression gauge.

Repeating the cold compression test with oil added is just a distraction and waste of time, though. Your compression is very likely within spec and is not what is preventing the engine from running. There is no point to wasting your time 'diagnosing' a non-issue.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

Thank you, Dave and Waldo
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble UPDATE Reply with quote

Finally took the plunge, and my mechanic finally got the time for my subie conversion.
I would have liked to keep it all VW, but I was so frustrated and tired of limping back home from a trip, or being towed home, and, not being skilled enough to fix the problems myself, having to wait months for a mechanic who was able to get it back on the road.
I really love the feel of the new powertrain. It runs down the road so smoothly. Love it. Much more confident taking long trips and knowing I've a good chance of making it home without major issues cropping up along the way.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

^^^^^ You will love it!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak of coolant, then engine quit: noobie trouble Reply with quote

Thanks for coming back and updating! Super nice - congrats.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: