Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

October of 1960 Ghia
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

Would an October of 1960 Ghia have a 36 or 40 hp motor? I’m thinking 40hp but I’m not sure
The vin number is 34102**
I’ve never really cared about an original engine however this is a pretty good Ghia and I possibly have the og motor in pile of 36 and 40hp motors that came with.

This Ghia was last tagged in 1986
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

Everyone loves pictures so here ya go. I’ll add more later

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This Ghia is very dry
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Doug914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

Very nice find. It does look nice and untouched which is worth everything in my book.
I can't answer your 36hp last month of usage other than the resources here on the samba which shows the 36's ending last day of July 1960. apparently some "standard" beetles still got left over 36'ers until January. But the Ghia was not ever considered standard, So I'd guess yours had a 40HP. But just a guess Smile
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

I guess I still have to learn how to use this site. Where did you find that info I looked but guess I didn’t look enough
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
Doug914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

Technical section:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php?sid=1e715baf267982b8e238a307372e30eb

Note, use the type 1 section for engine numbers as its broken down by month. The Ghia section is in 6 month jumps. Works for chassis numbers too. As far as anyone can tell, VW Pulled the chassis numbers and the engines out of the beetle production so everything is very close to Beetle numbers and dates. Perhaps others can comment as I’m no expert. I just read a lot Smile
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

1961 model year started in August of 1960, so your car is a 1961. It would have the stale air 40 horse.
Looks like it might be a Pacific Blue car which had a beautiful ice blue interior. This is a car worth doing original. Do you have any interior pictures?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

It does have most of the original interior but in very poor shape from cooking in the Arizona sun since the 80s
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

Looking good to me Very Happy
I confirm the 40hp for a 1961 model-year.

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

Interesting it has that aluminum trim under the dash trim, I thought I read that was a ‘60 only item?
Man I love that color.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Interesting it has that aluminum trim under the dash trim, I thought I read that was a ‘60 only item?
Man I love that color.

It also has the pleated dash top, that should've been a '60 only item as well. Tough to see the pleats, but you can just make them out below the speaker grill.

I don't think it would be the first time VW stuck some leftover parts on a later car, if they're original and not a previous owner backdate.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

Body number for more reference
I’m pretty excited to have a post 60 Ghia now
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

Now at home for some time with his new friends and soon it will run and drive

Pretty excited on my early Ghia trio. I just wish my buddy big Blair was here too see his car live on. He saved this Ghia in 1986. If it’s this nice now in 2022 I can only imagine what this looked like in 1986…
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Man I love that color.

It also has the pleated dash top, that should've been a '60 only item as well. Tough to see the pleats, but you can just make them out below the speaker grill.

I don't think it would be the first time VW stuck some leftover parts on a later car, if they're original and not a previous owner backdate.

All these 60 details are very interesting!

Can you please post aime pics on how it looks under the front hood ? That would also tell if it's a 60 or 61 body Cool

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

61 still used the fuel reserve tap and I think there’s a possibility 62 did too (my 62 has a hole in the bulkhead for it) but of course a 61 would have the flat tank vs humpback.
The interior panels are clearly 61. And the highly desirable blue and white. Done to stock this car will be worth a ton of money (it will also cost a ton to do right).
Interior looks all original, carpets, floor mats…back in 86 you are right it must have been tits!
Anyway, look forward to seeing a build thread on this car. For some reason it’s hard to find correctly done 60-63 Ghias, everyone paints them grey or red or some custom color when these early 60s Ghias had the best stock color combinations.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
Exnermobiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

It is amazing how completely the original turquoise carpet color has faded on virtually all the Pacific Blue Ghias - especially the turquoise binding. One would think that the area below the dash had saved them from the sunlight but no.

When disassembling my Ghia, I found only one small piece of the original carpet on the rear luggage compartment. There at the corner of the firewall and shadow of the hat rack it had retained it color quite well. You could still see some turquoise on the binding too:

As Braukuche said it will cost you a ton of money to do the early Pacific Blue Ghia including its interior all original – but it will pay off. I’m trying to imitate every detail of the original turquoise/iceblue interior on my ´62 coupe. Unfortunately, I must say that there are some interior details that you cannot get right even with money.

Anyway, you have another great car! Its always a pleasure to see factory original Ghia interiors – though fragments of them…
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

Came with 3 trim rings dated 4-60.

I’ve been holding onto these 2 trim rings dated 4-58 for years now

I’ll be checking the wheels tomorrow for date codes
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

This is neat

61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: October of 1960 Ghia Reply with quote

Must be an ‘on the cusp’ car. Early & late features. Neat.
Great looking car.

Deluxe Lowlight Ghia wrote:

Yes, the early 60s Ghias are COOL

All that colour coding…gearstick base, handbrake, wheel, mats, headlining, etc
Sympathetic preservation…

More “got at” early 60s Ghias need to be CORRECTED!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: