Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camper Interior Removal Pictures
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

PHOTO HEAVY.

We bought a 1995 EVC in January 2022 after our Vanagon was totaled by an uninsured driver who ran a red light, see my signature.

We knew when we got it that we'd want to update the flooring, but I unfortunately missed the extent of the OSB (WHO PUTS THAT IN A CAMPER?!?) subfloor rot. Flooring replacement became the first priority.

Here's a picture of the (almost)end product. I still need to trim out the sliding door transition.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think it looks awesome. As the rot extended below the camper equipment, it runs wall to wall. This is a big project for anyone considering it. The camper unit is basically one finished piece. My wife has been having back struggles and I did not want to hassle my friends to come over and help me move it over and over, so I slid it over, did 1/3 of the floor, and then slid it back. This actually worked really well.

Anyway, I'm used to the much more comprehensive Vanagon forum and was surprised there was no information about interior removal here. So, sharing many of the reference photos I took during the project- hope they help the next person!

Please note that these did not upload here in the order I tried to upload them, so they are not in perfect sequence. Also, before I am asked, the base van is essentially rust-free, one of the main reasons I bought it. Any "rot" you see in the photos is truly just surface- I treated what was there with Ospho and repainted the entire interior sheet metal before putting down new flooring (rolled sound barrier/insulation, 1/2" marine grade plywood, the coin roll flooring). I also replaced all the plumbing, did "the things" to the fridge and furnace (both work great, including propane for the fridge!), and generally cleaned the heck out of everything.

]

IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Nice — thanks for this post and reference pics set!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Thanks! It was hard, but fun. I replaced basically every brake component except hard lines and calipers, plus new shocks, last weekend. Waaaay easier.

A few other observations:

Buy this! It's priceless for the troubleshooting guides and easy to follow wiring diagrams if nothing else.

Other hard to do parts were:

1) cutting the subfloor curves (obviously). First corner behind the driver's seat used a carboard template, hard to get right. Sliding door, used the paper off the sound insulation backing. Soooo much easier. Use paper of some kind.

2) The bolts for the propane tank mounts pass through all the layers of flooring and can't be drilled up from the bottom. Measure 19x, drill down from top.

3) Same kind of applies for the battery box- there's a frame member between you and the big drain hole, no drilling up. My solution was the easy button, the 100ah Renogy AGM from my vanagon fits perfectly! No more flooded battery means no more need for a drain hole, cut the extension off and sealed the big hole in the body with something I usually hate using (Great Stuff) as the new flooring was there as backer. May figure out another answer later.

4) There's a lot of important infrastructure, especially the plumbing, behind the furnace, inverter, and the rear hatch, driver's side ,plastic piece. This is a PITA to get to- like, seriously. I realized later that I might have been able to remove the tail light for access, will try that next time.

5) Putting that heavy sound stuff (the prodcut similar to the roofing tar tape product) behind the plastic panels helps a lot with rattles.

6) Dirt gets everywhere. This was totally worth doing just because everything feels SO clean. The person I camp with the most (besides my wonderful wife) stepped up into her this weekend and said she felt "factory new." That was nice.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Did you use bulk vinyl for the flooring or did you buy one of the precut pieces from GoWesty or other provider?

BC in Austin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Bulk vinyl, the precut pieces do not, from what I could tell, extend below the cabinets or into the cargo area.

Since I had the new plywood for a cutting guide, it was relatively easy to cut to form.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Where did you source that vinyl?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Home Depot sells it in 10 foot rolls, so a 6x10 piece was more than enough.
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Just came across your post. With regards to the order of you pictures, you can order the pictures any way you want, it's not dependent on the order they were uploaded.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

^^ Yes, but that would have taken a lot more of my time. I intentionally tried to upload them in the sequence I wanted and didn’t want to spend more time sorting again. Just what it was.
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

No worries and thanks for mentioning the Eurovan Camper Service Training Manual. Just ordered it.
Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Hi Mike, I have a 2001 EVC and am doing the floor as well. My sink drain looks like yours; attaches to black PVC when goes down to gray water tank with a "T" for the vent to outside. How did you get the cabinet out without cutting the PVC to the vent or gray water tank?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

I wish I remembered for sure, but I think I did cut the PVC and then used a flexible coupling to re-connect.

Like one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-2-in-x-2-in-DWV-Flexible-PVC-Coupling-P1056-22/100096490

Pretty sure about that. Can maybe take the cover off and check tomorrow.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

I just did this same job on my 2001 EVC this summer. My thread.

It was quite an effort. I kept the galley in place and pulled the 4x8 piece of old chipboard out, where the seam is under the galley face. I then pulled the remainder of the chipboard out from under the galley, by suspending the galley from the ceiling with rope.

I then cut and installed replacement pieces under the galley and slid them back into place.

The rest of the 4x8 install was pretty straightforward. I used the usual coin floor. It turned out great. But I wouldn't do it again!

Yeah, who puts chip board in as a floor? Winnebago!

kourt

Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Thanks kourt & mike. The "main" floor was pretty straight forward but I was in a quandary over the "cabinet" floor portion. I was able to cut and slide out the affected section of the cabinet floor. The remaining section over the LP tank is still solid after 22 years. I'm leaning towards leaving that section in place to avoid dropping the LP tank. While I've already order the replacement gray vinyl, I must say that coin flooring looks primo!

I'm with you, putting OSB in a vehicle designed to be used in the great outdoors, doesn't quite belong in the annals of best corporate decisions ever.
Kulshancruising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Wow thanks so much for posting this! Definitely a lack of info on EV campers online compared to vanagons. Your post has helped me a lot so far as I work towards a total floor replacement in my 95 EV camper, wondering if you can share any tips on dropping the lpg tank? Thanks!

Last edited by Kulshancruising on Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Kulshancruising wrote:
Wow thanks so much for posting this! Definitely a lack of info on EV campers online camp area to vanagons. Your post has helped me a lot so far as I work towards a total floor replacement in my 95 EV camper, wondering if you can share any tips on dropping the lpg tank? Thanks!

Supported with floor jack. Removed bolts, I think I had to move it all around a little bit on the floor jack to remove the mounts. Then I built a wood crib to hold it up while I did the work. I did not want to disconnect the tank any, so that's what I recall doing.
Kulshancruising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Thanks! Only 1 bolt came up through the floor, the other 3 are loose but won’t come up, it feels like the nuts that were welded to the bracket may have rusted off or something.

Edit: the nuts welded to the bracket had indeed broken off, they each only had a few tack welds keeping them in place. Angle grinder to the rescue.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Thanks for the great pics. I'm currently sorting through how to fit the EVC cabinetry I recently picked up into our Weekender. I have a few quick questions for folks with an EVC:

1.) Can someone measure the gap between the start of the raised floor section behind the driver seat and where the base of the cabinet starts? Since I have a SWB van, my cabinets aren't a plug n' play setup, so I need to cut the rear section off, but I want to have a solid idea of where the cabinet begins up front first.

2.) Does anyone have a pic of the little drawer to the left of the sink? Mine just has a panel there.

3.) Has anyone considered splitting the kitchen area cover in half? This would allow either the sink or stove to have a flat area for food prep, dish cleaning or whatnot.

But wait, there's more...

Has anyone found a good substitute for the frame paint, cabinet laminate/trim or vinyl?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

Rainy campsite and have service, so:

1) 9”.

2)

3) I’ve seen a blog where this mod was done and it’s something I’d consider doing.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper Interior Removal Pictures Reply with quote

For my cabinets, I just glued the laminate on top of the original gray. Then I used a router to clean up the edges. So easy and good looking.

There is a guy who split his galley lid, and refinished it in all wood. It was very...woody, but well done. I tried ten different search terms and didn't find it. It's out there somewhere.

kourt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: