Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberHatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job Reply with quote

Hi I already documented most of the story in a blog at budgetprivateer. I had a horrible experience with Shane Jordan and is work is an absolute rip off. The paint is peeling off in places. Honestly don't want to rewrite it all. Just want to save anyone I can from this guy. Spend your money at a US shop or get more of what you pay for in TJ. Shane's operation is a rip off.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

Yikes. So sorry.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

Dang dude, thats a wild ride. I've always sorta thought you got what you paid for with a TJ paint job, but it still sucks to see what you went through.
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

That really stinks. I saw the pictures and videos of the work done. Terrible work!

The issue with any work done in Mexico - paint and auto repair - is that if issues arise you have no recourse. Work in the US does cost more but they also pay insurance, most will resolve issues to avoid bad reviews etc.... and worst case scenario you file a suite or take it to small claims and have it resolved.

Who know how long these paint jobs will last, and if they dont and it starts peeling in a few years, its not feasible for most to drive back down for repairs. And in this case seems like livethevanlife isnt stepping up to get this issue resolved. Although I dont know the whole story.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

I just read through the entire saga over on your site, quite the read. Is the paint actually "peeling off in places" (no mention of that or pics on your site)?

As far as the laundry list of complaints from your posts over there some seem legit (I would expect them to do a better job painting the area under the luggage rack even if nobody ever sees it, I would expect them to pull the antenna given this was a windows-out paint job, I would expect them to fix the corner of the luggage rack if they caused that damage), some seem like a stretch (your van doesn't crank as fast after they painted it) and a lot are things that I frankly would expect with a $4,000 paintjob (there is some sanding dust inside the van, areas with overspray apparent, your old/reused window seals are bunching, evidence of wax left over in your seams).

Where I am left puzzling is on your last update (https://budgetprivateer.com/?p=331), it sounds like you listed out all of the stuff you want this guy to fix, he agrees to fix it, and then (copied/pasted from your site)
Quote:
Shane agrees to repaint and repair all damages to the Vehicle, including but not limited to the following:
<snip of detailed list>
That is 1-6-22 and we have agreed for me to bring it on the 10th. On 1-7-21 Shane emails that he looked at the contract again, he’s had 2+ months but now he has a problem with it! Basically, Shane wants me to have the Van in Mexico with him and the shipper and I assume all liability. Shane can drive a tank over the Van and that’s “on me.”

We trade a couple of emails where as usual Shane says too bad and I tell him to F-Off. So that is where my story with him ends.

Shane never intended to fix my Van. He is the lowest most dishonest charlatan in the business.

I have to accept that Shane Jordan and livethevanlife.com scammed me and there is very little I can do about it. He has my $10K and I have a van that needs $10k in repairs and painting at a minimum, likely much more.

Honestly, my read of the whole saga is that
    This guy subcontracted the work to a local shop in Mexico (with your knowledge from day 1) and he vouched for the shop
    The shop did a not so awesome job
    You took posession of the van in person and did not raise concerns when you did the live walkthrough and only found the areas of concern once you were back home
    The guy agrees to make things right after your complaints
    Then you axe the whole thing because he wants you to "assume all liability" on the vehicle when it is in his posession in Mexico to address the areas where you were unhappy

Last but not least, I'm unclear on how your $4k paint job jumped to $10k (on your first post you enumerate all costs and it comes to $6,600 but that includes your paint job for 4k as well as new upholstery and tint etc) and how do you figure rectifying the items you've listed would cost $10k or more ("He has my $10K and I have a van that needs $10k in repairs and painting at a minimum, likely much more") unless you've had a total failure of the paint system and now need to do a complete strip and windows out repaint.

Let me be clear here, this situation sucks and you don't deserve any of it. But, after reading all of your posts on the matter, I'm having a hard time being 100% sympathetic since the guy seems to be dealing with you in good faith to resolve while you're simultaneously claiming "Shane never intended to fix my Van. He is the lowest most dishonest charlatan in the business."
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

Its definitely seems like hard situation - but if someone is going to be responsible for my van out-of-country would you want him to assume liability if stolen or damaged?? I would think so.
Who should pay or cover that if that happens? the owner?
Transporter should have coverage for that and once in possession of the business aka livethevanlife. I would assume they take on liability.

Regarding quality control..
[quote=]
Among other things, my job is quality control [...] catching mistakes and having them fixed before a client like Justin picks up their van.
[/quote]

These things probably should have been picked on the walk through. But he states QC is his job. LOL. He definitely dropped the ball on his "job". lol.

But agree I dont think there is $10k of work... but whether is $2k, or $10k of work... A reputable business should fix it.
CyberHatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of 10K paint jobs that are significantly better. In fact I've seen a $500 paint job that was better.

It was never really about price for me. I went with him because I trusted him as I had been watching him on social media forever. But that said he does say "Vanagon Restorations by The Best in the Business" on his website.

I know lots of paint guys are like Well duh, of course, it sucks. But I'm not a paint guy. Just a mountain biker with a Vanagon who trusted a long-time blogger social media poster. Live and learn.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

Thats a crappy story man. I'm sort of dealing with the "Nightmare" paint job process right now. Still awaiting a finished product. I sure hope its worth the wait and the money! LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

Sorry you feel you aren’t be treated well. Paint prep is tricky. Seems Shane said he would fix it with some stipulations. As I have personally found - insurance in Mexico for a U.S. registered vehicle is problematic and an area of risk. Either way Maybe you can work this out still?

Another perspective? I’m using Shane’s services the last year and he has spent a stupid amount of time managing the work on my LT while keeping me updated with regular check ins and video calls. He drives 30m to the shop to oversee the mechanics progress.

Conversely I’ve been repeatedly screwed by several well known shops in Oregon and Washington that would hardly return my calls, meet a budget, complete the scope or do anything approaching quality or even basic work. This includes denying damage to my rig, stolen parts, bolts left finger tight and paint prep issues like described! One thing for certain Is these shitty local shops have not even attempted to employ the type of professional project management-like techniques and customer care that Shanes team has deployed including scheduling, budgeting, scope and acceptance. He has even eaten the cost of wrong parts when their team ordered wrong. Thus far my experience has been positive so maybe this isn’t a “Mexican shop” issue?

Again maybe you can work with them to resolve this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

CyberHatter wrote:
I trusted him as I had been watching him on social media forever. But that said he does say "Vanagon Restorations by The Best in the Business" on his website.

never meet your hero's

and

everything looks better on social media.

i've never heard of the guy. that means nothing really. i just cyber stalked you...in all of your time as a member here never once was the question asked if anyone heard of this guy or if anyone could suggest a paint shop.

i admire your willingness to trust, but it seems to me that people today will spend 1.9 trillion hours researching how good the cheap battery is on amazon before pulling the money gun, yet will blindly say "yes" to big ticket purchases.

indeed your situation sucks. had that job been done stateside it would have been an ez 20k+

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

I am looking for a new battery, cheap.

Do tell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I am looking for a new battery, cheap.

Do tell.

please feel free to use my official buyers guide

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

Cyberhatter ......... this site has rules about vendor feedback.

Everett made a thread just for feedback.

Please take a few minutes and start a thread in this forum please.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

I searched for Shane Jordan with no results.

Thank You

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

I just read the OP's blog.

I think that anyone considering purchasing a "restored" Van be required to read!
This experience is exactly what can easily happen to the uninformed buyer.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
CyberHatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
I just read through the entire saga over on your site, quite the read. Is the paint actually "peeling off in places" (no mention of that or pics on your site)?

As far as the laundry list of complaints from your posts over there some seem legit (I would expect them to do a better job painting the area under the luggage rack even if nobody ever sees it, I would expect them to pull the antenna given this was a windows-out paint job, I would expect them to fix the corner of the luggage rack if they caused that damage), some seem like a stretch (your van doesn't crank as fast after they painted it) and a lot are things that I frankly would expect with a $4,000 paintjob (there is some sanding dust inside the van, areas with overspray apparent, your old/reused window seals are bunching, evidence of wax left over in your seams).

Where I am left puzzling is on your last update (https://budgetprivateer.com/?p=331), it sounds like you listed out all of the stuff you want this guy to fix, he agrees to fix it, and then (copied/pasted from your site)
Quote:
Shane agrees to repaint and repair all damages to the Vehicle, including but not limited to the following:
<snip of detailed list>
That is 1-6-22 and we have agreed for me to bring it on the 10th. On 1-7-21 Shane emails that he looked at the contract again, he’s had 2+ months but now he has a problem with it! Basically, Shane wants me to have the Van in Mexico with him and the shipper and I assume all liability. Shane can drive a tank over the Van and that’s “on me.”

We trade a couple of emails where as usual Shane says too bad and I tell him to F-Off. So that is where my story with him ends.

Shane never intended to fix my Van. He is the lowest most dishonest charlatan in the business.

I have to accept that Shane Jordan and livethevanlife.com scammed me and there is very little I can do about it. He has my $10K and I have a van that needs $10k in repairs and painting at a minimum, likely much more.

Honestly, my read of the whole saga is that
    This guy subcontracted the work to a local shop in Mexico (with your knowledge from day 1) and he vouched for the shop
    The shop did a not so awesome job
    You took posession of the van in person and did not raise concerns when you did the live walkthrough and only found the areas of concern once you were back home
    The guy agrees to make things right after your complaints
    Then you axe the whole thing because he wants you to "assume all liability" on the vehicle when it is in his posession in Mexico to address the areas where you were unhappy

Last but not least, I'm unclear on how your $4k paint job jumped to $10k (on your first post you enumerate all costs and it comes to $6,600 but that includes your paint job for 4k as well as new upholstery and tint etc) and how do you figure rectifying the items you've listed would cost $10k or more ("He has my $10K and I have a van that needs $10k in repairs and painting at a minimum, likely much more") unless you've had a total failure of the paint system and now need to do a complete strip and windows out repaint.

Let me be clear here, this situation sucks and you don't deserve any of it. But, after reading all of your posts on the matter, I'm having a hard time being 100% sympathetic since the guy seems to be dealing with you in good faith to resolve while you're simultaneously claiming "Shane never intended to fix my Van. He is the lowest most dishonest charlatan in the business."

I can totally see what you are saying here. SO I'll try to clarify a little.

I did take possession and did not raise concerns. The reason is that the guy was supposed to be a pro. I did not think I would need to point out 57 things. For example the roof not being painted but sanded to hell. Not sure I would have even caught that if I had taken time to review. The window seals all bein installed wrong. I don't know if I would catch that for a while. It's not like I have a check list for things to look at when a clown paints my Vanagon. Again I have been following the guy for years on Instagram and he is portraying himself as an expert. As the expert he should have told me that he did not quality control and I needed to spend a week reviewing his work, likely fly home and then fly back. He would never says that cause hotel rooms and flights start adding up to a why did I just not do this in the US scenario.

Would you have caught screws through your grill? I only caught that cause he did such a crap job reconnecting the electric. I mean how often do you take your grill off? Now I can see the holes from 40 feet away but that is only because I know.

The good faith part - I guess it does not come across well but he kept moving the goal post in the process to get the van back to him. That is a few months of back and forth where he would wait till the last second to through up a road block. You want me to sign a contract? Fine but don't sent it to me the night before and then tell me to sign it by tomorrow or I won't be able to get the Van fixed for another 2 months. Then do that AGAIN after agreeing to the contract YOU insisted upon. Last between him actually agreeing to remediate that Van and contacting me to do so was a couple months. His FB post was not sincere. It was weeks more of me posting my issues until he finally responded to an email.

MY perspective as a professional and former business owner is if you screw up and at least in public forums he has admitted he did you should go above and beyond to fix the issues. I personally expect wide latitude from someone after they break my luggage rack, blow up my backup camera, short out my starter, scratch the wholly hell out of my roof, don't fix the main thing I brought the van to them in the first place for, drive drywall screws through the grill, and ruin some portion of a couple thousand in windows seals.

I have not updated the blog in months. My Instagram has the video of the peeling paint int he stories. I have a lot more video but this whole debacle has taken soo much time already. @cyberhatter

Anyway - I appreciate you posting and I guess I am ok with people thinking I am unreasonable.

The Van is here in San Diego for anyone who want to come judge for themselves.
Diy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

Sorry hatter, but your story has too many loopholes and contradicting notes. I understand that you feel screwed over but it all seems to just come from your biased perspective.

TLDR
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

Diy2k wrote:
Sorry hatter, but your story has too many loopholes and contradicting notes. I understand that you feel screwed over but it all seems to just come from your biased perspective.

TLDR

Does TLDR mean too long didn't read?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

CyberHatter wrote:

Would you have caught screws through your grill? I only caught that cause he did such a crap job reconnecting the electric. I mean how often do you take your grill off? Now I can see the holes from 40 feet away but that is only because I know.

The Van is here in San Diego for anyone who want to come judge for themselves.

yes, i would have noticed the screws and honestly your list would have been noticed.

i mean who wouldn't look over any work that was done?

you keep saying this guy was a pro.... sounds like he was a pro con artist. did you do ANY research on the guy? ask for references? see any work? talk to past "customers" of this "pro"?

imho he took your money, said "do a cave and pave on this piece of shit as cheap as you can because i'm making bank subbing it out"

(not saying your van is a pos, just illustrating how your "pro" probably operates)

you seem to have taken this guy for his word and glamor shots on the internetz rather than look at past projects. it sucks. you were taken. it happens.

had you posted it here, for sure red flags would have shot up as you can see good bad or ugly we would have told you that you were getting the shaft

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

Two sides to every story, right?

Shane Jordan: Hey everyone, I’d like to take a moment and address this head-on. The business Justin is referring to is mine. I live in La Paz Mexico and folks have been bringing their vans here to me to assist them in having them painted for the past year or so. People bring me their vans, and I work alongside several shops here in town whom I have found generally do good work , and I act as a project manager of sorts. Among other things, my job is quality control. As some may know, the price of work here is great, but it can be of varying quality. I attempt to remedy that by building relationships, teaching the paint shop employees, and catching mistakes and having them fixed before a client like Justin picks up their van. I catch a lot, and I have a lot fixed. Sometimes, as is the case with Justin, I miss some things. That is inexcusable and I am sorry. Justins Van was picked up by him late afternoon on a Saturday, and he departed to drive back home before sunrise the next morning. Justin inspected his Van with me and we walked around it together before he drove away. A few days later, after returning home, he contacted me upset with a few of the things he found. I listened, I apologized, and I offered him a few solutions to fix what I could, including me flying up there, renting a car, and working on the van at his home. Had Justin brought these issues to my attention while he was here in La Paz, I would have and could have easily fixed every issue. It was unfortunate for us both that neither him or I had that opportunity. I, personally, did not put drywall screws, or do incorrectly any of the other things Justin brought to my attention, regardless it is my job to make sure these things are caught and rectified, and I take full responsibility for dropping the ball and allowing it to be picked up with these mistakes. I continue to want to do right by you Justin, and so I have an offer. Drive your Van across the border to Tijuana (Justin lives in San Diego), drop it off with a shipper that I have arranged, who will load it in a shipping container and send it directly to La Paz, I will repair all of the issues you have raised, I will document everything here for all to see, and then I will load it back up, and ship it back to you. The cost is approximately $1000 each way which I will cover. Folks, I’m imperfect, but when I make a mistake, I own up to it, and do my best to fix it. I take every situation like this and try to learn from it, and I’m taking the lessons here and applying them going forward. I have wanted, offered, and am offering to do my best to fix this for Justin. Justin, please get in touch with me privately to make arrangements for the repairs to your Van. Thank you and sorry again for the trouble.

It could have just been bad timing, the guy was overly busy or pre-occupied at the time. I don't think there were intentional bad intentions. He oversees the work done by shops he is familiar with. Hopefully he won't work again with the guys who worked on this particular van.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: livethevanlife.com Mexico Paint Job is garbage Reply with quote

Shane Jordan is the same guy behind the Venture Libre brand - https://www.venturelibre.com . Similar approach to Mexican-made leather goods. I have one of their Smuggler bags. Nice quality, pretty pricey.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: