Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dimmable, dual-color dome light development
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

My good friend Jim Howard originally developed a Vanagon dome light replacement that is dimmable and also has both white and amber (yellow/gold) light.

Dimmable for when you only want a modest amount of light.
Amber for when you don't want to attract bugs.

A few of us have one of these 1st gen lights, but we're developing a 2nd generation because of changes in the electronic components supply chain. I figured I'd provide a little insight as to what we're up to.

First, the light looks exactly like an original OEM light fixture aside from two small buttons used for dimming, brightening, and to switch from white to amber light.

Here's a look at the 1st gen light. Second generation will look identical.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The new circuit board for the Gen 2 version is in and ready for assembly and testing.

If all goes well these will be at www.VANAVATION.com about the end of April.

These are hand assembled in fairly low quantities, so they are not cheap though.

Is this of interest?

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?

Last edited by SyncroHead on Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

kudos for tooling up for small runs!

interesting article on lamp color effect on insect attraction. true amber vs yellow is significantly better at not attracting. people in northern MN have gotten away from using yellow bulbs in their porch lights but 'back in the day' that was all the rage.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institu...180977495/

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

I think white/red would be a more attractive option to me. It would be nice to have some night time lights. But white/amber sounds good too.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
kudos for tooling up for small runs!

interesting article on lamp color effect on insect attraction. true amber vs yellow is significantly better at not attracting.

Thank you.

Yes, We've definitely done a bit of research before selecting our particular LEDs for the best amber light frequency.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

Hey Jim, not to sidetrack, but I was looking at that website, and this reflective tape kit for the hatch is a great idea. If I can make a suggestion, maybe add a couple of clips or something to the rear hatch so you can hang the engine lid on. I broke down a few years ago on the interstate. It was at night & raining. Big rigs were driving by spraying me while I was working on the engine. I was able to get it started & down the off ramp - but I needed to go back & get the lid that I had leaning on the side - duh. A hanging lid would have given me some additional weather protection, along with a warning to other drivers if I had your tape kit on it (as well as not losing it like I did).

Anyway, great ideas. I agree with the red LED light option in the dome light.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Hey Jim, not to sidetrack, but I was looking at that website, and this reflective tape kit for the hatch is a great idea. If I can make a suggestion, maybe add a couple of clips or something to the rear hatch so you can hang the engine lid on. I broke down a few years ago on the interstate. It was at night & raining. Big rigs were driving by spraying me while I was working on the engine. I was able to get it started & down the off ramp - but I needed to go back & get the lid that I had leaning on the side - duh. A hanging lid would have given me some additional weather protection, along with a warning to other drivers if I had your tape kit on it (as well as not losing it like I did).

I must admit the reflective tape idea is definitely not my own. I just decided to make it easy by providing a ready-made kit of it. The hanging cover is a good idea that I'll experiment with. It would get it up higher and potentially make it more visible to oncoming drivers. I'll experiment as it may be too high since headlights have an upper cut-off to keep the light on the road and not in other driver's eyes.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I think white/red would be a more attractive option to me. It would be nice to have some night time lights. But white/amber sounds good too.

Seems you and tjet want to start your own "red light" districts! Laughing Embarassed

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

I'm interested in a light like that...

I find the current lights too bright when I don't want them bright, and too dim when I want them bright...Wink

Would the bulbs be LED? (I like low current draw)
Would the white be a cool white or warm white (I'd vote for warm white)

thanks - and I appreciate the innovation...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:

Seems you and tjet want to start your own "red light" districts! Laughing Embarassed

Jim Davis

Bow chicka bow wow!

Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

I'd be interested.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

Does it pop into the bulb holder like the LED boards?

What is the 5v terminal for?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

Red does not destroy your nighttime vision and is used for navigation in all airplanes and boats/ships. That's why you want red. Even a brief exposure to white takes 10 minutes to restore night vision.

Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

tjet wrote:
Anyway, great ideas. I agree with the red LED light option in the dome light.

DuncanS wrote:
Red does not destroy your nighttime vision and is used for navigation in all airplanes and boats/ships. That's why you want red. Even a brief exposure to white takes 10 minutes to restore night vision.

Duncan

I agree red would also be a good option, so we're now investigating a future production run with red LEDs instead of the amber color. Little or no bug dis-attraction benefit with the red, but great for preserving nighttime vision. Especially useful for stargazing.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Does it pop into the bulb holder like the LED boards?

What is the 5v terminal for?

No, this replaces the entire fixture. This is needed because of the need for the two little buttons used for dimming and changing color modes.

The 5v is the internal driver voltage for the LEDs, and is unimportant to the user. This new fixture is installed simply by removing the old fixture (with it's original bulb) and installing the new one just like the old one that was removed.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
mottoguzzi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

Spark of Imagination?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

mottoguzzi wrote:
Spark of Imagination?

Spark of Imagination was the company name of Jim Howard, the designer of this special light fixture. I'm now selling these instead of him and we're collaborating on the 2nd generation product.

A few may know Spark of Imagination for the amazing QuietGlide sliding door rollers. I now provide this product too on the www.VANAVATION.com website.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
I'm interested in a light like that...

I find the current lights too bright when I don't want them bright, and too dim when I want them bright...Wink

Would the bulbs be LED? (I like low current draw)
Would the white be a cool white or warm white (I'd vote for warm white)

thanks - and I appreciate the innovation...

Sorry that I missed your question earlier.

Yes, it's and LED fixture so current draw is much less than original "festoon" incandescent bulbs.
The white LED is indeed in the "warm" range of color.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

I would be interested. Red would be a great idea - my wife and I sneak into the van at night while our toddler sleeps up top.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

The new lights are almost available.

Here's a couple pics of the guide jig we're using to bore holes in the plastic fixture for the control buttons. Their location is important to line up with the circuit board.

Here's how the buttons work:
- Press the upper one to increase the brightness
- Press the lower button to reduce the brightness
- Press both simultaneously to switch color modes

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dimmable, dual-color dome light development Reply with quote

I'd definitely be interested in the red ones!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: